Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Program Announcements / Brigand: Oaxaca (The first 1/3)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 07:30 Edited at: 25th Oct 2011 16:18
BRIGAND: Oaxaca

An RPG/FPS hybrid. 1/3 of the game is complete, which is about 10 hours of gameplay, and it's highly replayable. Kill any NPC you want at any time (if you're good enough), upgrade 14 skills, unlock over 80 special abilities, and find over 100 kinds of items. Be a stealthy assassin and throw blades at the backs of your enemies. Hack into terminals and control turrets, locked doors, androids, and more. Master hardware and construct basic firearms, laser weapons, tesla weapons, plasma weapons, and various grenades. Learn how to translate voodoo tomes to control the weather, raise the dead, and possess animals. Or just be a badass gunslinger. This is only scratching the surface. You can work for different factions, which will change the storyline and give you a different experience depending on your decisions.

My main inspirations (give me feedback):
The freedom and badassitude of Fallout.
The complex moral decisions of Deus Ex.
The in-depth story and character development of Baldur's Gate 2.
The addictiveness of Zelda.

You can find screenshots and details in the manual, here:
www.mediafire.com/download.php?5iu44cvbboso03w

Montage of gameplay videos here, though poor quality:
www.mediafire.com/download.php?y84vmc04d71v5y8

The game can be downloaded here (updated twice):
www.mediafire.com/download.php?d9mmrjo87gl7ojr

Here are some known issues:
-AI path-finding is still a little shoddy.
-When you die, the game exits because restoring a saved game without exiting messes up the AI. No idea why this happens.

-Brian Lancaster
Virtual Nomad
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 23:41 Edited at: 20th Sep 2011 23:44
i've downloaded the (.rtf) manual, which looks impressive. also, referring back to the original incarnation from 2009, i'm very curious what this current version will bring.

meanwhile, i've taken the following screen shots from the manual and compiled them for others to see (and to keep the thread from being locked) as it does look worthy of attention here:

have downloaded (the 150mb file) and will provide feedback when i get a chance to run it through.

Virtual Nomad @ California, USA . DBPro V7.5
AMD Phenomâ„¢ X4 9750 Quad-Core @ 2.4 GHz . 8 GB PC2-6400 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3650 @ 512 MB . Vista Home Premium 64 Bit

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Sep 2011 13:48
Thanks for the screenshots, Nomad. The main difference is bug fixes, completed skills + abilities, items, and an additional 8 hours of gameplay w/ new maps, etc. Good luck beating the demo, though. It's hard as hell. Tell me if you think it should be easier.
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Somehow please make a gameplay video with some established character, halfway through the game so it would actually show something.

I downloaded it, and i can tell from the menu system and the presentation that it is an awesome job, but it runs very slow here, so couldn't actually play it, but i would really love to see it in action.

Will you ever give it some more advanced graphics? An engine this fine-tuned would deserve it.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 16:48 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2011 16:56
I would make the graphics better with shadows and bump mapping, but shadows are rediculously intensive in DBP, and you can't put shadows on a matrix. I have 2 matrices, 1 for the ground and 1 for the cliffs.
Also, most of the processing time goes towards AI and LOS checks, plus the maps are huge. I would use an intersect command for Line of Sight, but it's impossible to do with a matrix. Instead, I have to move a bullet object incrementally to the target. If a character has no current target, this only happens every second. If it does have a target, then it happens every frame. Basically, no way to make the graphics if I'm using a matrix.
It also runs slow at first because it takes up processing time whenever there's a new texture on the screen. Give it a minute and it speeds up. Any way to fix this?
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 20:21 Edited at: 22nd Sep 2011 20:23
Shadows and shaders would be the very last thing i would ever ask for. DBPro or not.

Using matrices is a big mistake for anyone after the first steps into getting familiar with DBPro. I dropped it after a few hours, and jumped into my own ground builder with Memblocks. I kinda left it around this years March to work on an easier shoot'em project, but this is what i managed to do in two weeks, so you should give it a go... It also real time casts shadows on itself without shaders or any kind of plus processing power!

http://trisplay.atw.hu/myeditor.jpg

The best thing is that what i realized since then, that you don't need to understand the horrible topic of Memblock, you just simply create a plain in a 3d editor program, and you can adjust the vertex data with... the vertexdata commands, very easily. You would even gain the advantage of having 4 vertex polygons instead of Memblock's 2x3 vertex triangle polygons.

But i didn't really mean the ground - however now you mentioned that would require updating yeah as well -, but anything else. Though those stereotipically looking terrorist guys look alright. Not by todays standards at all, but i like those.

Give everything its own burnt-into-texture lightmapping. Use a bit more polygon details. My laptop is a crap, still your game ran. So it basically means it will be fine with many many people. But this look right now is funny with these kinda spec requirements.

I just want you to see that i think if there is such an advanced game on the inside, it should look like that on the outside as well, so it does get recognition by the masses, and not just a couple hardcore indie guys here and there.

I would suggest that you released a gameplay video so you can interest some artist who you could team up with to finish this up in a pro form.

-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2011 21:51
Quel, I'll work on a video in the next couple of days and upload it. I would love to change the system to use memblocks or terrain, but I think I'm too far into it to change all the maps and coding. Right now, I just want to finish the storyline and fix anything annoying in the gameplay. Perhaps on my next project I'll work with a team. But for now, hopefully the upcoming video will entice all my fellow hardcore indie nerds to play it.
Video pending...
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 15:43
Two things:

1) New version, Alpha 1B. Fixed a bug where throwing a grenade while stacked in the inventory causes it to explode on top of the player. Other minor problems fixed.
www.mediafire.com/download.php?4k2g7736jd1v1zb

2) Gameplay montage uploaded, though poor quality and bad frame rate. I think you can get the gist of the game's action, though.
www.mediafire.com/download.php?y84vmc04d71v5y8
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
Very promising, i hope i will be able to run it on a faster machine soon.

Looks like from the video you would only need some more advanced models to make this even better.

Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 20:58 Edited at: 30th Sep 2011 21:00
Unfortunately, all the graphics need to match each other to look professional. If you have high quality character models, then the terrain has to look good too.
Another example: I started out with 32 bit textures, but some textures were skewed or stretched a little too far. When I put it on 16 bit graphics, it suddenly looked less lazy and more "stylish." Upgrading one aspect of the graphics requires that I upgrade all aspects, in my opinion.
And of course, I am saying that I am indeed lazy. Anyone wanna make better models for me?
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 20:02
Anyone have any tips for gameplay change? While my own tastes are all important, I want to know what other people think of the gameplay also. I can't really fix the graphics at this stage, unless someone wants to help me make models.
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 01:01
I never have enough time, but maybe I can create some models later.

No place like 127.0.0.1 .
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 07:40
Sweet. Replacing any poor quality model you find with something better would be much appreciated. NPCs need all the animations from DarkMATTER 1, though, so they might be too complicated.
Also, I will upload a new version of the game this weekend, with the compatibility bug fixed.
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 23:19 Edited at: 17th Oct 2011 23:20
Is an ugly monster like this useful for you? If it is, then I will add the bones and the animations.

(screenshot attached)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 02:12
That looks perfect. The more ugly monsters the better. Can you make it DarkMatter 1 style, seperate .x files for each animation (idle, attack, take damage, die)? My modeling skills are weak, my animating skills even weaker. I am semi-competent with wings3D.
miso
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 12:57
Yes, I can follow that style, I will rig it then.

Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 16:07
New version out. Here's the link:
www.mediafire.com/download.php?d9mmrjo87gl7ojr
Tell me if it works because I'm in China and they won't let me download from mediafire (though I can upload).

List of changes:
-Fixed the compatibility bug! No need to run in Windows 98 mode.
-Increased inventory slots from 7 to 8.
-Improved the HUD.
-Improved all maps, especially Pochutla.
-Fixed conversation bug with Rolland.
-Improved dialogue.
-Other minor changes.
Angry Roach
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 16:11
Also, @Miso, did I forget to mention the move animation (5 total)? Thanks so much for your help, and btw, what program(s) do you use?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 07:18:24
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 07:18:24