Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / [X9] Code Name: Jasper ~Full Release~

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2011 10:31 Edited at: 24th Sep 2011 00:01
Code Name: Jasper

Developer: TheVoxyn

Story: Cold. You feel cold. Jolting upward from off the cold surface of the operation table, you look around the room. It's empty, save for what look like human remains on one of the tables. You catch a glimpse of a holographic calendar, and see it's the year 2062. This proves to be the only information you know right now, as it seems to hurt trying to think of your name or why you're here. Or, where here is, for that matter. First things first. You need to break out of this room.

Additional Screenshots: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/jasper2011091922380831.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/710/jasper2011091921295737.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/jasper2011091921314709.jpg/

Download Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FFFLFE6X (Download is fixed!)

Hello again, FPSC Showcase board! This time I bring you something much better than my first project. (It went largely unnoticed, anyways ) This one took me about a week and a half. I wanted to see how much I could accomplish with some of the stock media, and I got surprisingly good results, in my opinion. For Code Name: Jasper, pretty much everything is customized in some way. I don't think I left anything completely stock, actually. I've given new sounds to all the weapons that I used, custom sounds for the enemies, custom player sounds, and a melee attack animation I made myself for the 9mm pistol from Model Pack 6. It also has working ironsights. Anyways, criticism is much appreciated. I want to hone my FPSC skills as much as possible! Also, I just noticed that the screenshots don't really do it justice. I'm not a very good screenshot taker.

Who's a noob to FPSC? Thissss guyyyy
Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 12:38
Not sure if it's a general issue but the game wouldn't launch for me after installation. I tried it on XP, and this system usually runs FPSC games with no problem...it ran your last game OK.

One thing I like about the screenshots is that they aren't dark. I can understand why people like to make their games dark for atmosphere, and to hide some of the FPSC limitations, but constant darkness gets used all the time now.
TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh jeez, that's a huge bug. I'm not sure what could be the problem. The only difference between this one and my last game is I used 1.18 to make this one. Hmm I don't know if this could be it, but maybe shut the shaders off in the setup.ini? I know that's happened to some people before.

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Sep 2011 21:11
I tried turning off the shader, completely re-installing and rebooting after install, but still no luck. Could it be something to do with the installer?

Does the final .exe file install and run OK for you?
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2011 02:37 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2011 02:43
I just tried - the .exe gives an error message

EDIT: I compared the files with other games and found yours don't inlclude a "segments" directory. No idea if that is mandatory though

In case you find my grammar and spelling weird ---> native German speaker ^^
TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Sep 2011 08:53 Edited at: 23rd Sep 2011 20:06
I think you found the problem, Storyteller. I just tried it with the installer and with the folder in MyGames. I swear it worked the first time I tested it with the MyGames folder's exe. Apparently FPSC decided to not include the segments when I built the .exe, though lol. I'll get a new one uploaded ASAP. :/

Edit: Also, Kilgore, thanks for going through all that trouble. Forgot to mention that.

Return of the Edit: Alright, so I tried rebuilding the game, but to no avail. I progressively removed levels from the game to see if maybe one of the levels were too big or something, but even with *one* level it still doesn't want to work. I'm not sure if it's something with the levels, or something wrong with FPSC itself. I'm still fiddling around trying to fix it. I'll let you guys know when I've found the problem.

TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
I've fixed the problem! Everything should be in working order now. New download link is in the op.

Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Sep 2011 03:59
Hi! We recently met on youtube

I could give you a review on it, but it would have a lot of criticism. Tell me if you wanna have it

Matter is energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively Theres no such thing as death,life is only a dream,and were the imagination of ourselves.
TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh, hey! Yeah, give it to me straight. I'm still learning a lot of stuff, but knowing what needs improvement can only help. Also, I think I forgot to mention that in my ordeal to get the bloody thing to build the exe, some files got lost in translation. I had custom text huds for 'Press enter to use', weapon pickup, key pickup, those kinds of things. Also, some weapon sounds got reverted to FPSC default, etc.

Kilgore
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Sep 2011 10:44
I'm away for a week but will try this when I get back.
TheJamesPope
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 11:43
I downloaded the file and it seemed to install and everything fine, during the first loading bar an error popped up but I clicked okay and the bar finished loading, and then the game started, and played fine, the guy spoke to himself about where he was, and I found the key so on and so forth, but if I clicked the mouse at any point, the whole thing would freeze and crash.

I'm using Windows 7 if that's relevant at all, sorry I can't be more help this is all new to me. Game looked great from what I saw tho

http://facebook.com/PopesPage
TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
Well now, that's a weird issue... I've never heard of something like that happening lol! It must have something to do with that error in the beginning, but I'm not sure what to do there.

THIS IS A SIGNATURE. I swear.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 16:35 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 03:55
I am using Win 7 too (32 bit) and everything works fine

And while I am at it, her e is my review after playing CN:J 3 times.

The Good:
- Customization
It's the small things that make games different from one another and this one has lots of those - a very nice custom weapon/health huds, (less nice) custom menues, custom weapon animations, a custom hurt hud, custom sounds and some music that is quite fitting (but as always gets annoying after running over 3 minutes)
- framerate
Even with 5+ NPcs active there is no slowing down. That should be considered mandatory but it's still not common for FPSC games. One becomes humble over time.

The Bad:
- level design
Everything cries "I'm a one-way for a game". There is no sense of reality. Rooms with no obvius function, stairs with no reason to be there, pipes that don't connect and stuff thats lying around to obviously fill the barren rooms (the boxes are actually labelled "Stuff Co", which would have been a great joke if intentional). And the highlight (not new either) is a large room filled with freight containers which obviously didn't get in through the man-sized doors. And again someone was too lazy to pick more than 5 different entities to dress up the place. It gets better over time but the first dozen rooms are horribly dull.
- gameplay
Run around and kill Zombies and SF soldiers until you run out of ammo (which you will do sooner or later). The mandatory key and switch are included but that's it. Nothing about the "monsters" is scary or threatening, it feels more like some guys constantly queuejumping: Slap 'em hard and go on.
-balance
The Zombies hit while they are still a full segment away and also through doors. One of the shooters even shot my Char through a wall. And of course half of them pop up out of thin air. There is no tactic the player can use, just "aim good and pull the trigger as fast as possible".

The Ugly:
- Huds saying "Enter" when you actually have to press "F".
- Finding ammo for the NPCs guns, which you couldn't pick up.
- NPCs firing about 10 times per second and the PC having 500 health to make up for it.

On my personal demo scale it's a 1.5 out of 5 (allready upped for the customization) and I'd call it "A sad example for good ideas and honest effort wasted on a game that lacks all the basics"

TheVoxyn
Years of Service
User Offline
I actually appreciate the honesty, Storyteller. As for the ugly parts... this freaking game wouldn't build properly after soooo many tries, so I had to do a hackjob of a build and piece the files together, and in doing so I lost the custom text huds I had in game. I'm not so sure the rapid fire NPCs thing can be fixed. In other little goof around projects I've done they do the same thing. I think it might be inherent to FPSC? But yeah this was my second game so I expected some brutal criticism I'm working on a new project that's going to be much better than this. I've been learning everything I can about FPI scripting, level design, and making custom weapons. I've also been playing some BOTB titles to try and figure out what makes them BOTB material. I think it's payed off, but I'm not making a WIP thread until I'm certain I've got something good going.

THIS IS A SIGNATURE. I swear.
The Storyteller 01
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 03:53 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 03:56
@TheVoxyn.

Fortunately your well-done custom things are easily usable for abother game. Play through the BotB (especially the SF-themed ones) and you might find some inspiration to develop a full-fledged story.

If you need somone doing betatesting and giving extensive feedback for your next game, just send me a mail

kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Nov 2011 11:28
Hey dude, I am currently making a developer/publsher website, would you like your game be published on my site? Free, no charge, I will also put this in the free games section. If yes, drop me an email, rwsbgames@gmail.com

work in progress

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 22:33:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 22:33:16