Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Why TGC can't make AGK sdk in Class format?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Sep 2011 18:08
I have used VS for 5 years,include VS 6.0,VS 2005,VS2008.
There is MFC foundation in windows development. I used to it. CWnd CWebbrowser CToolbar
It's very convenient to use.

I see cSprite,cImage,cSound and so on in the AppGameKit folder. I like the style,but I don't know how to use it. So I wrap a class named CSprite by myself .

I want to ask the TGC official. Why AppGameKit sdk can't use class? C++ is a object-oriented language,so I think class is more convenient .

give my best
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Sep 2011 21:42 Edited at: 30th Sep 2011 21:43
AGK tier 1 is a BASIC language, not an object orientated language like C++.

If you want classes, use AppGameKit tier 2 which is C++.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Halley has been talking about Tier 2 the entire time. The problem is that they want to build an application outside of the structure that is currently offered by Tier 2.
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 06:50
I think Xanthor totally understand my idea. Mobiius didn't watch my thread at all.

give my best
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Halley,

They could have made it. BUT... They want to have Tier1 and Tier2 similar from the command side. As there is no classes in Tier1 they went the procedural way on the C++ side too. It's very simple like that. You have stated that you are a seasoned C++ coder. If I would be crazy enough to use C++, then I would create my own classes which wrap AppGameKit in a way I would like it to be. Or are you not able to do this?

And here is a tip about XCODE. Don't compare it to VS. XCODE and OBJC are totally different animals when you compare them to the windows world. And judging by the questions you ask here, I get the feeling that you should first learn more of the ropes of XCODE and maybe ask your questions on the Apple developer forums. Alot of problems you seem to have are not AppGameKit releated but more dealing with how to use XCODE.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Oct 2011 23:21 Edited at: 1st Oct 2011 23:22
I would say that I prefer agk the way it presents itself now, in a procedural way. It's very simple and straight forward even if you are just a beginner starting out in C++
Agentleo
Years of Service
User Offline
I would have to agree that the current way is best way TGC , could have went. It gives newbies an easy way to understand what exactly is going on , and allows more advanced coders the freedom to make what ever they pretty much desire.

Just a noob trying to grind in this game called life.
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 05:57
Steve Jobs said " oriented-program is the future of the world." I think current way is not suitable for c++.

give my best
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Halley: try Cocos2D
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 12:08
Thank you.MikeHart.
I will try Cocos2D.

give my best
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If he will use Cocos2D then that means he bought AppGameKit for nothing!
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 15:53
I can use the two SDK. lol.
I wrapped some class with AppGameKit sdk.I also can wrap others sdk.

bjadams, why do you like to use 'he'? I am not used to it.

give my best
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
@bjadams: He wants classes. Cocos2D has a lot of them. And as a developer you should use the tool that fits a particular job the best. Don't limit yourself to just one.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thing is, what advantages does AppGameKit have, if you are using Cocos?!
MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 22:25 Edited at: 8th Oct 2011 22:26
???? What makes AppGameKit less valuable if one user uses different tools? They are two different tools, with different feature sets and different development approaches.

Halley wants classes. As he/she doesn't want to wrap AppGameKit commands into her/his own classes, I was suggested using one of the ObjC/C++ toolsets there are out there that are more OOP based.
Deion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 02:00
the whole point of this is to make games faster and easier, with that comes limitations, just the nature of the beast, having said that, its purpose is well done, one code base multiple platforms, easy to use code to make games fast, btu still look pretty decent/good. cocos2d has a bunch of limitations itself, but there you can inherit the classes and add functionality. though you can make a game faster with this then with cocos2d.

both are useful for there purposes. this is faster to make games, the real bottle neck ive seen so far is time to make graphics, or places to find top notch graphics people for rent/contract hire.

Cheers,
Deion G.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 06:16
The main reason you find our C++ examples in the style of agk:rint("hello") rather than CDisplay display : display.Print ( CString("hello") ) is that we wanted a direct mapping between Tier 1 (BASIC) and Tier 2 (C++) so you could learn one and instantly code in the other if you chose to do so. As stated earlier, if we used a class structure, it would not migrate easily back to BASIC. One of our goals with AppGameKit is to make it easy for the beginner, and in doing so make it faster for more experienced users to code quickly. As mentioned, it really is down to how you prefer code. I have spent half my life using BASIC in one form or another, so it comes naturally for me to code quickly in that style. Some users come from a heavy object oriented background, and classes provide an equally powerful way to get code running quickly. If you 'really really really' wanted to use classes though, there are some hidden depths to Tier 2 AppGameKit where you can use internal classes that sit just below the agk:: calls. We discourage their use as they make migrating code back and forth more difficult, but if you are dead set on using object orientation, all the classes are there for you to discover. For an insight into this hidden undocumented world of AppGameKit classes, check out the wrapper.h file, and the following classes:

friend class cSprite;
friend class cImage;
friend class Physics;
friend class cNetCon;
friend class AGKSocket;
friend class AGKPacket;
friend class cFile;
friend class cMusicMgr;
friend class cSpriteMgr;
friend class cParticleEmitter;
friend class cSoundMgr;
friend class cVirtualButton;
friend class cVirtualJoystick;

Again, for those not entirely familiar with classes or who want a rapid response language, stick to the documentation as it will reward you ten fold as we migrate our engine to stranger territories of Java/Script, C# and other wonderful languages

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
halley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 06:29
Thank you very much.I have wrapped my own classed with AppGameKit SDK.

give my best

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 21:30:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 21:30:21