Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Droid Deployment/Distribution question

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello -

I've looked through the FAQ's, and searched the forum, but didn't find any definition of how Droid distribution would work once support has been added - would it be similar to the windows routine where the compiled app could be manually loaded on to a particular device, or would it require an app store type distribution similar to the iOS method?

Thanks -
PG
Doz
Years of Service
User Offline
I would assume the final output is an .apk file. If that is the case, so long as the device is capable of sideloading and has it enabled in the settings, you don't need an Android app store of any kind to distribute.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
With Android a user can install apps from a none market location, if they set their device to allow it. But face it. Your app will almost not visible and for updates, you need a way to inform the users that there is one. Publishing throught the market is so easy, everyone can do it. And it is only a one time fee of 25 USD. That's all. Also you don't get any copy protection, if you distribute it through a non market location. With the market, there is copy protection now and soon they will enable a some kind of licensing system.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 03:38
My gut feel (now quite ready to tinker with the publishing options yet) is that you will have both options available. An APK which can simply be copied to the Android device and run, or through the store to get extra traction and exposure. We are also working on a second phase option to add advertising with a single command so you can monetise in the Android ecology. We're making good progress with our Android proto, so watch this space closely

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Ads on Android would be great!
Will this option be available on iOS too or is that too complicated?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 06:02
The idea is that they will be universal commands which use proprietary solutions under the hood, so for you guys it 'just works'.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 03:51:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 03:51:33