Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Suggestion- Make the AGK compile to code that can be embedded into a Webpage like Adobe Flash

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 08:17
I know this is taking off on somewhat of a tangent, but I would love it if both the AppGameKit and Dark Basic Pro would compile to byte code that would run in a browser the same way Adobe Flash runs in a browser.

This would greatly expand the adaptability of TGC products and give developers greater opportunities to use the development environments and make money or make a living from their expertise!
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 08:27
People have asked for html5 support which might actually suit a new OS called Tizen as it is heavily based on html5.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 09:23
I would like to see a HTML5 implementation in AppGameKit too. I hope it fits with the cross-platform model without suppressing it. My only concern would be that due to any limitations for a browser-based output, it stops any other potential features rolling out. I'm sure Lee is already working through the implications of this one, because its a huge market.

For DBPro it's been done but it's not a pretty solution. Because it is DirectX driven to the core you need a plugin that emulates a very hefty piece of Windows and because its browser based, security will not allow it to interact with the DirectX you already have installed. And don't forget browser apps have to work on Apple PCs etc which don't run the native MS DirectX.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 10:25
This would be a great feature. I don't even begin to understand the implications but I do understand that the features will have to be limited for the more platforms supported. It would be a shame to miss out on a decent 3D engine at some point...

That said I have a renewed love of 2D these days

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 14:29
Agreed, it would be a great addon to have browser support for games made with TGC products. It would greatly expand the possibilities to reach more public.
2D would be the easiest to implement.
For 3D, I think the best option would be a browser plugin by TGC for their products, or like a web player.

Cheers

Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 15:30
Since AppGameKit is open GL based, and C++ programmed, I guess they would have to reprogram everything in AppGameKit to get it HTML5 compatible... Will not happen this year

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
WebGL + CSS + HTML5 make a good platform for AGK. I guess this will come after Android support, unless we get winPhone before
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 17:25
The Slayer has it. For Dark Basic Pro, it would be more of a task. But even there, they might be able to compile to byte code. The AppGameKit compiler would be a little easier, since it already compiles to byte code, it would mean a browser plug-in that runs the code, in the browser. In both cases it would be a browser plug-in that runs in the browser.
Neuro
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah i totally agree. The HTML5 trend has been rising very quickly this year. Would be a good idea to have that as target platform also. Although...i can forsee Facebook getting flooded by junk HTML5 games very soon..
XanthorXIII
AGK Gold Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think Lee has already stated that is something they will be looking into doing HTML5. It's going to be a big player on the Internet.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 05:29
HTML5 is on our roadmap after Android. Not sure we'll have it ready before Christmas but we'll certainly have the bare bones up and running by then. HTML5 is huge, and it's set to explode in the next few years. The initial offering will be as an T1 BASIC AppGameKit Player as the underlying code will be Java/Script and not C++, so the rule of thumb is that if you want your AppGameKit apps in a browser early next year you should use BASIC

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
JRNTexas
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 10:16
HTML5 would be great! Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks for the job you've done on the AGK. It's a very good tool and makes rapid development a breeze.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:54:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:54:44