Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Developing a Mac app

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Oct 2011 15:23
Hi, I have AppGameKit and am enjoying playing with it. I'm writing a simple program to help people in my taichi class learn chinese names for movements.

they all have macs, and I've bitten the bullet given in and decided to develop it for mac(why they cant use a pc like a normal person is beyond me )

I've never done any mac developing before and don't really know where to begin, even with other help on the site I am still confused.

I gather so far that you need to use a mac with xcode and then you pretty much include the agk dll and code it in C++. Is this correct or is it another language?

I'd also like to know if creating a mac application is as simple as pc in that you compile and its good to go. is there more to do after compile?

It seems to me like theres a minfield of messing around to get any mac program working.

and just to clarify, there is no way of converting the agk basic code for use with a mac compiler to date, is this correct?

sorry for all the noob questions, I just need to get my foot in the door and then i can work on learning it myself.

thanks

kezzla

Sometimes I like to use words out of contents
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 05:23
Hi, if you own both a PC and a Mac in the same room. Simply install the AppGameKit Product on your Windows system, then download the free AppGameKit Player from the Mac Store, and run it. Now when you load and run the examples on Windows (providing you have configured your firewall), it will instantly show up on your Mac machine. It's that simple. When the time comes to produce a standalone of your finished Mac app, we have produced a guide you can find in the 'Guides' section of the help system on how to do that with a simple step by step process. Don't be phased by the number of steps, you only have to do it once, and after a while it will feel quite natural and you'll go through the process faster and faster the more Mac apps you finish

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 19:47 Edited at: 13th Oct 2011 19:53
Lee,

I followed the instructions in the guide to the tee, but... (Tier 1 to Mac OS)
My app folder showed the AppGameKit icon once I added the .app extension to the folder, but when I click it it does nothing.

It shows a bouncing AppGameKit icon on the Apple task bar (not sure if they call it something else) but the app never starts.

Any suggestions???

Edit
After a minute or two, the icon stopped bouncing, but the app never ran. ;(
What am I doing wrong?

PS I had no Mac Player in my MAC download (the folder only had 1 file titled Mac Store.txt, but it was blank), but I did have the files in the tier one download, so I used that when following instructions.

MikeHart
AGK Bronze Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "PS I had no Mac Player in my MAC download "

You can download the OSX player from the app store.
Conjured Entertainment
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 18:26 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 18:29
Yeah I did that too but it just sits there in standby mode, and never detects my PC's broadcast of my game.

I was trying to following the instructions for running the app on the Mac by transfering the files per the guides instructions...

...AGK\Documentation\Documentation\guides\25_mac.htm

Quote: "

Tier 1 (BASIC) Publishing for Mac
This guide explains the process involved in taking your Tier 1 BASIC application and preparing it for running as a standalone application on the Mac.

Modifying the AppGameKit Player
The easiest way to prepare a standalone application is to modify the AppGameKit Player for Mac which is provided in the AGK\Players\Mac folder. Follow these steps:

"

For whatever reasons, I cannot get either method to work.
I really would like to see my app running on a platform other than my PC, and this new Mac would be ideal since I don't have a smart phone yet.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 06:40
If you broadcast your app and the Mac running the AppGameKit Player does not respond and stays in standby mode, then it is likely your wifi connection is not set-up fully. Ensure no firewall or router is blocking the communication both ways and that both machines are using the same IP domain sub-mask (i.e. 192.168.0.X).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 17:50:41
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 17:50:41