Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Head to be incorporated on a character...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, I'm not finished, but I've been working on this for about 13-14 hours straight and I wanted to share my progress thusfar, as it's my first time doing poly-by-poly modelling.

Soon here, when the model is finished, rigged and everything I'm going to export it to .X and try using it in my game.

It's enjoyable but lengthy... The hardest part was the ear, and I'm still trying to figure out how I'll connect it to the rest of the head.

Right now... I need sleep. Goodnight world.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, that's good! Looks like Michael Myers ...Halloween.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Haha, thanks!

That's actually just going to be the "base mesh" as it were. I'm going to modify the head and other body parts, along with textures to create different people.
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm done with the head, finally... it even subdivides well!

Here's a glimpse for you happy people out there.

Now to figure out how I'm going to do the rest of the body.

I did notice one problem... I'm having a hard time texturing the face due to the amount of vertices there. (Or maybe it's just my lack of understanding on how to texture things well in blender!)

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 17:18
you could always use that poly reduction program urm... http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2095

once you have finished with it

there is a trial version so try it out for free

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Oct 2011 20:41 Edited at: 8th Oct 2011 20:42
Can Blender render? A quick cheat to make good UV maps is to make a render to get you started. So you would render the head from the front, and sides, and then UV map the render to the head, and then add some more detail to the UV map afterwards.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah, Blender can render.

I like where you're trying to go with that, but one thing that pops up in my mind is it would be just like if I were to take pictures of myself from the front and sides and then UV map them, I'd still have that distortion from that planar projection.

However, with that said... I could try Texture painting a model, then get the UV map from that and apply the UV map that was just made to the model.

I'm still unfamiliar with texture painting though. ^_^'
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know much about blender, but I use box mapping most of the time, and it works pretty good.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I don't know much about blender, but I use box mapping most of the time, and it works pretty good."

It's okay, but I haven't really tried it yet, I just do a UV unwrap and work with that.
Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
[quote]you could always use that poly reduction program urm... http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2095"
Thanks for the link, I'll have to look into it!
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Oct 2011 11:11
when unwrapping, using the project from view option can be usefull. Also once you've unwrapped and are working with the layout, use pins to fix the position of the basic outline and unwrap again to redistribute the inner vertices within the fixed shape to reduce stretching. weld, align x and align y are helpfull as well, press w in the uv image window.

heads can be tough to get a layout that is both easy to paint in 2d and minimizes stretch. even more so to layout for a photo texture and still minimize stretch.

you may try doing a simple unwrap without alot of editing to the layout, you will have no stretching but will get some tough flow to work with, so use texture paint in 3d to block out areas and kind of 'map out' the 2d locations. You really won't be able to use a photo as is but need to do some editing: copy rotate and blend as defined by your blockouts to get it to fit your layout.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
I tried to use project from view but it always seems to be grayed out. Also, I'm unfamiliar with pins, unless you mean seams which I just learned about recently.
Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 07:38
pins are used in the uv editor window, you select vertices and hit p to pin, alt+p to unpin. it will basically just stick that vertice to that spot no matter how you unwrap. you can still move them manually by grabbing

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks! I still never figured out how to do project from view, though.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Oct 2011 11:14 Edited at: 10th Oct 2011 11:29
If the UV mapper is hard to use, try this one...

http://www.geeks3d.com/20090303/lithunwrap-free-uv-mapper-for-windows/

That's the one I use, and it's easy. It might not be as good as Blender though, I don't know. I'm going to download Blender, and have a look at it anyway. The site has some very nice examples on it.

Da_Rhyno
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks, I'll have to download that to see how well it works!

Also, I'm thinking of methods of redoing my character model so it's not so poly-intensive.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-28 12:29:51
Your offset time is: 2024-04-28 12:29:51