Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / A text based combat system - ideas?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 13:09
Im trying to come up with a way of keeping track of all the people in a faction. This number can change. For example knights can be bought which obviously increases the number of them but I cant put the number in a UDT. Its not that simple. For when I go into a combat system I need to start deducting health of some of those knights. So now I need individual knights health that belong to a faction. Knights are broken up into 2 types – Ones that are at home and ones that are attacking. Im not sure how to break all this up.

I set my factions up like this.

Type FactionType
Money As Integer
Peasants As Integer `number of peasants (decreases when a knight is made)
KnightsAttacking
KnightsDefending
MaxKnights ` A combination of the two (really don’t think I need all that)
NumTowers ` How many defending towers (that the knights have to attack to win)
EndType

There are many other things like flags for the money counter and all sorts of other stuff but that above layout allows me to run through each faction like so.

For a = 1 to Maxfactions `number of factions at the time
Faction(a).Money = 400
Next a
Etc

Now how would I keep track of the knights in this game individually so after combat any that are wounded but not dead return and keep that number (perhaps they heal over time but that’s something else ill have to figure out)

I just cant seem to make a combat system that keeps track of this to make the knights attack the towers. The problem is also reversed for the towers. If a faction has 3 towers at 100 health each how do I determine which tower is being attack by what knights and what health they are at (I want the option to repair towers outside of the combat model so it has to retain the health of the towers).

I have tried about 7 different ways of doing this and none of them have been successful. I have tried arraying inside the type (it doesn’t like that). I tried making a type within a type (typeception  but still cant really figure out how to do it.

The main aim is to get a combat system that works by making each of the knights take a hit or miss chance every 2-5 seconds (I am using a counter). For each hit that adds up and that is the damage done to the towers each round (not all towers at once, just one at a time). Then it’s the towers turn but I want it to flow real time rather than appear turn based as well. I literally cant come up with any more solutions but I am sure I have all the syntax I need. I shouldn’t need to learn anything new and should be able to do it with what I have but just cant.

Any suggestions?
Bulsatar
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 15:22 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 15:24
Make a Knight udt and have an array that contains all of the knights in the game based on that udt. You can even make your factiontype part of the knight udt.

Type Knight
Life as integer
Location as integer
ThisFaction as string
endtype

However, if you want to have general faction information, you will want to change your factiontype and separate it into a couple of different udts....

Type FactionType
FName as string
NumTowers as integer
TheseTowers as Towers
Peasants as integer
Money as integer
endtype

Type Towers
Health as integer
TName as string
Location as integer
endtype

With this setup, you have isolated information into each of the respective types and you have connected them all so that they can be integrated together. For instance, your all of your knights in the game go into 1 array (or you can break it into multiple arrays based on faction...your choice) and that array holds all of the information about a knight. If you need the faction information that a knight belongs to, you see what faction he is and look at that 1 array that holds all of the factions (again, you could break it into multiple arrays based on faction...still your choice). Also, you can have all of the towers each faction owns in an array or as I have shown here, built into the definition of the faction itself.
It is MUCH easier to have every type of "thing" separate in your game and then have reference pointers built into your respective types that tell the game where to look for that other information.

Hope that helps a little
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 15:51 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 18:11
While I attempted to understand your issue... I'll admit that I got lost in some of the details. From my quick read I believe I have deduced that your problem comes from needing ARRAY(S) in TYPES that are ARRAYS themselves.

I've encountered this issue far too many times than I would like to recall. IanM had made a post on a parallel array solution, and it's what I use to manage these situations.

heres a simple example...
My task is I have 100 students. The students have some basic information like name, student# and such. Now, each student takes 5 courses. Each of these courses has some grades; 1st qrt, 2nd qrt, mid-term etc... I need a way of associating my students with these courses, and have a means of being able to easily index through them.

So I create a type called StudentType. In that type I have some info like First_Name, Last_Name, Student_Number. My type would look like this...

Now I create an array of the StudentType to hold multiple Students. Thus..

Now I need to store Grades for 5 Courses the students are taking??? Each course has a Name, 1st quarter, 2nd quarter, mid term, 3rd quarter, 4th quarter, and final exam scores. I create an array of CourseType.

***Problem! Unfortunately I can't have an array inside my StudentType. So how do I have an Array of CourseType, that I can easily associate with my 100 (actually room for 101 if you count index 0) students that are stored in the Students() array that is of StudentType??? Here is the answer!

I now have a multidimensional array of CourseType named Courses.
How does this help? Well, the first dimension of the array '100' is associated with the 100 students I have. That's the parallel array!. So if I have grade information at Courses(48,1). That info relates to student number 48's first course. the data stored at Courses(48,2) is... you guessed it.. student # 48's second course

Now I guess it may help to have an example of how this would ease my filling the fields with info. And accessing them. Once I edit the code in, if the light-bulb hasn't gone off yet... I believe it will.

OK so lets put together a loop to initialize all the fields (except for student #)to empty strings or 0's <just to save me from creating 100 actual names, and 5 courses with multiple scores for each course>.

*****SImplified Example*****

The concept may have been lost by the use and depth of the types. I chose to do it that way to mimic your data. It may be easier to see it by just showing mulitiple parallel arrays. So here I'll associate 3 generic arrays. A array of strings for 100 student's names (their index is also their student_num), an array of strings for the course names of 5 subjects, and an array of reals for storing 6 grades. (again ignoring 0 as a valid index, for simplicity)

Now say I needed to find the name of the 35th student. Retrieve the name of their 3rd course, and their first-quarter grade for that course.

For the finale,, (assume I have all of my information stored in the arrays),, and I need to print out every student, with all of their subjects, with all of their final_exam scores.

Your signature has been erased by a mod please reduce it to 600 x 120.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 17:59
zenassem:

That would not compile for me. DBP had trouble with using real instead of float and it would not let me multi-dimension the array that way using a type. I got this to work:

It does print the second quarter as 3.7999999.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 18:10 Edited at: 11th Oct 2011 18:25
@LBFN Yeah, I wasn't typing it in the compiler. It was all off the cuff and on the forum. Probably made a mistake with that real. I'll change it. It was probably a bad example for me to chose something with float values to begin with, but it's what came to me at the time.

There shouldn't be an issue multi-dimensioning a type though...
for example:

Though I may have done something else in my example that wasn't right????

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 20:23
Nice stuff guys. Im going to have a play around with this tonight and see if i can come up with something. I admit its not easy understnding my first post as i wanted to be as brief as i could while at the same time explaining as much as i could.
Maybe now that i have some new ideas to play with if i get stuck and post up what i have done, it will become clearer what i am trying to achieve.

Thanks.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 21:46
Ok im not having too much luck with this but i think if i post this code someone might get the gist of what im trying to do a little better.

This code doesnt work because i havent set up my arrays properly so it goes out of bounds but to be honest even if i fixed that the code isnt going to do what i wanted to anyway so ive left it uncompilable. The general point is there in the code and the comments. I know what i want it to do but cant figure the way out. I do however feel like im pretty close to getting something right, just need a shove in the right direction.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:16
Okay, this at least works, albeit it does not do much other than to establish the UDTs properly. Hopefully, this is helpful.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Oct 2011 22:44
I see what youve done. Im going to take a look into that and see what i can pull from it. See if i can do the combat system around that. If so the rest of my faction data should be ok to add in (things like how much money it has, what the faction leaders name is, how many peasants etc etc) and ill be well on my way.

I think the problem i am having is i am trying to prioritise things based on importance. So because the faction is the "big one" i am trying to make everything around that. Because the factions are important, the knights are just subsisiary to that.
Would some of the above code be easy to use if there were multiple factions attacking different facions at the same time. I am having trouble with that one (even though at this point in time its thinking ahead a bit).

As i mentioned in the comments there could be anything from a lonely 1 up to 6 factions. When one gets destroyed it increases the chances of another faction being spawned each "game counter" so sometimes there might be just the one for a short while then another will spring up. If there were 4 for example and 1 was attacking 2 and 3 was attacking 4, would this all work in that function or would i have to add more to the UDT, i cant seem to get my head round it just yet.

Thanks.
Bulsatar
Years of Service
User Offline
I like Zenassem's approach with the parallel arrays. It will be MUCH easier to address the particular items in a combination array instead of having to go through loops to find what you are looking for in them.

Another approach is to use a database-ish type system where that information is setup in an external file and loaded and referenced during setup. Would also allow users to "play" with game settings for a bit of customization fun!!!

I think your main take away should be grouping and setup. Take out a sheet of paper and a pencil (old school ) and sketch out each groups properties and how they relate to each other. This will help you workout not only good and easy organization, but will also help you workout how combat, economy and other systems in your game can flow.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 22:08
@LBFN - I had a deeper look at this but i can see a bit of a problem with it. Although it seems a nice way to set up a type within a type the problem i have is i need to make arrays for the factions which now i cant do because things like Knights(1).info(2).Health - to link it to that faction wouldnt work. So i cant seem to find a way to categorise things without starting with having things set up like faction(1).something
Faction info is huge, there are all sorts of flags and info so i presume everything has to be based around it somehow.
Another problem i come to is things happening at the same time. I could have multiple factions attacking multiple factions so i need to cycle through pretty much everything updating data as i go and this is making my head spin trying to work it out.

@Bulsatar - i like the sound of doing an external file reading in and altering then saving data out to a file but i have not gone that far just yet so i will need to brush up on my "creating, saving, loading, reading files" programming before i could attempt somthing like this but i reckon its a viable option. To second what you said about pen and paper, i already have masses of sheets full of scribblings working out what variables i will need and may need and what certain values are worth and what limitations the AI has and how it makes decisions and so on. Its not really working for me reading through it again at the moment because i keep changing so much when i realise i cant go any further with something or get stuck and have to rewrite.

For anyone who is interested here is all the code i wrote so far but this does not include the combat system as i was building it a different way in a seperate project first and i was going to work around fitting it in when i got it right.
Second i am far from finished (the AI doesnt even make any decisions yet), even the screen will be laid out differently as i now realise i need a larger bit at the top and to squeeze all the other info in at the bottom but i can come to all that later. This combat system is whats holding me up.

Youll have to leave it running about 3 minutes to see its full potential so far lol.
Its not much but you might be able to see where i am trying to go with this.
I really need help with it though as its like staring at a blank canvas and just not being able to paint, its horrible.

Much appreciated.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 22:39 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 22:51
Quote: "
@LBFN - I had a deeper look at this but i can see a bit of a problem with it. Although it seems a nice way to set up a type within a type the problem i have is i need to make arrays for the factions which now i cant do because things like Knights(1).info(2).Health - to link it to that faction wouldnt work. So i cant seem to find a way to categorise things without starting with having things set up like faction(1).something
Faction info is huge, there are all sorts of flags and info so i presume everything has to be based around it somehow.
Another problem i come to is things happening at the same time. I could have multiple factions attacking multiple factions so i need to cycle through pretty much everything updating data as i go and this is making my head spin trying to work it out."

My enitre post was devoted to giving you a way to simulate types within types. I take it the point I was trying to make was completely missed.

if info needs to be an array than make it it's own type, and make it a 2 dimensional array; info(x,y). The first dimension of it's array would correspond to the knights(x) single dimension array.

If you had another item inside the parent type knights(x) that needed to be an array... AND it needed to ALSO be related to info(x,y) then you would make it it's own type and make it a 3 dimensional array. the first dimension corresponding to the knights(x) array... the second dimension corresponding to the info(x,y) array... and the third dimension being the new array newarray(x,y,z) ... So on and so forth.

If the new array doesn't need to be tied directly to info() but rather tied "only" to knights(x)... then it too could be a two dimensional array, just like info(x,y). It's first dimension corresponding to knights(x), and then however big the array for newarray(x,y) needs to be.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 22:48
I know, and it was a great post. But i cant understand and apply it properly. Everything i have tried just doesnt translate to what i want to do so im obviously still doing it wrong and need a bit more hand holding. Its not that it wasnt appreciated i just think your overestimating my intelligence in being able to apply what you wrote to what i was trying to do, im honestly not that smart plus i am still really new to programming in general.

I did try but it ended up a horrific mess so then i tried to start again from stratch and that also didnt work. So i just posted up the code i had (that hasnt got anything to do with a combat system yet) in the hope someone would guide me right or tell me to chuck everything out and lay it out like "X" this so to speak.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 22:56
Fair enough. I know it's a confusing concept. And it does require a thoroughly planned framework. Perhaps, I'll be able to get my head clear enough to read exactly how your types need to work and help you build it.

Unfortunately, I don't know how your code may change... and this type of suggestion works better when everything is known an planned out. It can get really messy making on the fly changes. So perhaps if I carefully read your posts, I can determine what your needs are in a more specific matter.

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:06
The process I use in designing it is to map out the "Parent" type. Then determing the "children" types that need to be arrays directly linked to the "parent". Then I determine if there are any other parallel arrays that need to be tied to any of the "children"... if so, than they become "grand-children"... if not, they become "children" of the original "parent" array. It's all about determing the hierarchies and the links between them.

Even typing that seems more confusing than it really is. Ill take a stab at mapping the info that you are trying to store.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:07
That would be most generous of you. Thank you.

My code is a little messy as i did make a lot of changes after the initial pen on paper plan as there were so many issues i did not forsee but if i had to scrap it all and start again i would. This is merely a test and a learning experience to something hopefully bigger. I just think that even with my large knowledge of all the commands that are available as i have read both the DBpro hands on books and many tutorials its simply not enough when i cant remember half of the commands and the solution of using the commands in a certain order to solve a problem does not come easy to me.

When i first started learning i flew through everything. Every little example on each command, no problems. Putting it all together into something bigger takes a little getting used to
That last code i posted sort of does everything it needs to, i only wanted to add a desicion maker which i managed to figure out http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=190082&b=7 with a lot of help from folk so that was good and i think i can add that easily, the only other thing missing was a simple combat system for when the AI decides to attack another, so that factions could be destroyed and respawn when a "higher power" in the game thinks its time to do so to keep the game flowing as i didnt want the game to have only one faction controlling everything for too long, eventually there would be a challenger. So each AI "faction leader" has its own personality (agressive, balanced, defensive), and a hidden AI looked after everything making sure it didnt get too empty or too full etc.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:40 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 23:52
It's going to take me some time to figure out where you are having a problem. As of right now I can only see one possible parallel array associatin faction(x) as the parent, and knights(x,y) as the "child" to faction. Perhaps you can help me?

A couple of suggestions.

1. You setup variables in the screen-setup to calculate screen height and width / 2. That shouldn't be in a function, but rather in a subroutine, allowing the calculations to be used throughout the program. Replace those dozens calculations you are doing every loop with the variables.

2. Try using better variable names. using names like a, b, c, can get you into trouble fast. It's worth taking a little extra time.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 13:26
Yeah your right, though i have sort of been advised to stay away from routines and just put everything into functions or at least that is what i have gathered reading on the forums and many tutorials and such.
As for the variable names that still hasnt been changed because i was just doing a small test on that colour part so it was only for that bit to see it working, i copy pasted it over from my smaller demo into that as is and just left it to work on the combat system but in future i would definately rather name long variables and spend more time typing than get into trouble with getting confused.

I like this parent child system as in my head i can see how i can prioritise each of the "objects" by level of importance. Obviously the faction is more important than just a group of knights whether at home or away attacking, this is what i was trying to do at first when i was putting how many knights they faction had under the faction type but then couldnt treat each knight as a seperate entity in its own right.

I am going to scrap the current code i have above and start again but i will be keeping certain elements as they do work (just the simple things like the latest news feed array and how it dulls the colour as the news goes from new to old).
Also i might start with the simplest form of combat system. A 1v1 just to make it actually smash some numbers out. Its just i have no idea how to expand it from there which is why i didnt do that initially. I will repost with more code later.

Thank you so much for your help so far.
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 13:58
Ok so i got the simplest form down here. Now its not multiples and its not few powerful entities V lots of weaker ones. Just knight V knight at the moment but it displays roughly what i was trying to do.

There are many things i could add to this like a hit chance based on agility or some sort of damage modifier when they get weaker or have a damage based on a strength stat or something but for now just nailing the simplest form i can.
I could have put the death function in a checker at the top of the do loop rather than repeat it but ive done it now and cba changing it for now.

Only thing that puzzles me about this is the combat timers are meant to simulate each knights swing of the sword and it seems they both go off at the same time. Cant figure that out but i know its such a silly simple thing.

Now i just need to not only add up to doing multiples but put them as part of a faction AND allow the ability to have multiple factions attacking others at the same time, so many battles can be going off at once.
zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 19:31 Edited at: 15th Oct 2011 19:44
Quote: "Yeah your right, though i have sort of been advised to stay away from routines and just put everything into functions or at least that is what i have gathered reading on the forums and many tutorials and such.
"

I tend to believe in the same philisophy as TDK when it comes to this. There are great benefits to functions when used properly, but I disagree that they should be used in every situation over subroutines. I know the DBPRO help says gosubs and subroutines are basically there to maintain old standards/compatability... But I don't completely agree with that. The fact that the editor allows functions to be rolled up is nice,, and if you are including files (#include). I could argue both sides equally... but in the end, to each his own, I guess.

Here is TDK's thought on the subject.

Before I start, I'd like to explain that Gosub with subroutines is not in the same category as Goto. Using subroutines is GOOD programming practice and using Goto is BAD.

Functions however were not designed to be used INSTEAD OF subroutines, but to be used WITH subroutines. So, using functions for everything is NOT a good idea when you are learning to program. (IMHO it isn't good when you know what you are doing either, but that's a matter for debate and as an experienced coder, you can program how you want).

The point is that functions were designed to run in their own isolated part of memory, have the variables they require to work passed to them and most importantly, generate a single piece of data as a result which gets passed back to the main program it was called from.
"

And...

Well speed-wise, there is little or no difference between using a procedure and a function, so the main reason for using them would be for the ability to use local variables or the future grouping together of them in a #include file. (In #Include files you can ONLY have functions - nothing else).

In fact in some cases, a procedure is better due to the lack of the local variable problem.

Some users will swear by using functions for everything, which I find a little pointless, but at the end of the day, go with whichever you are happiest with.

TDK_Man
"

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 20:27
I am definetely sold on the idea of using gosubs more often. Perhaps only using functions for when i need to pass something through. Like a variable that goes in, gets some work done on it and pops out with a new value, or something like that. I keep going over the chapters i have on functions to understand them better but for now i will be using subroutines a little more often.
Darkzombies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 20:47
I don't like using subroutines, alot of times by doing that ill eventually start hard-coding everything without realizing, but I guess thats just me.

"Insert funny coding-related joke here"
Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 14:23 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 15:15
Well im still stuck on this if anyone would like to help.
After going through zenassem's course/student example i still cant pull it apart to make it work for me. I have the following problem with it. First there is not a predetermined number of knights for any of the factions. So while courses has 100 students. I dont know how many knights i have, they come and go depending on whether they are killed or created. Second courses appears to be the metaphor for faction. Of which i have at least 1 of but up to 6 depending on whether an external source says that more should be created. The factiontype in my way of doing it should contain all the info of just one faction, how much money it has, how many peasants, how many knights, what type of personality the faction leader has etc.
Even reading the above i know it seems so obvious but it really isnt to me. For this i apologise but i have copy pasted and amended hundred of lines of code to get this working so the obvious is just not obvious to me.

I have been wracking my brain over this for over a week and still havent come up with a solution. Now i dont mind starting again and scrapping all my above code if i have laid it out wrong, thats fine. But there is no point starting again until i know what im doing as i wont get past a certain point if i dont start it correctly.

So how can a faction type hold all its info, be created on the fly, be destroyed on the fly, have new ones created and store info only on 1 faction, the rest will be done in their own way so i can cycle through each faction that exists personal info and details. On top of this how can i have an indeterminate amount of knights how can then fit into a combat system by cycling through what damage they do and the dame done to them. Everything i have created so far has been really close to achieving this but not close enough so i need a different way of looking at it to solve this problem.

Any help would be appreciated because if i dont get past this simple problem then i cant hold out much hope for achieving much bigger things.
By the way this is as far as i got on my sixth re-write

Ir really do feel like im close just not quite getting it.
LBFN
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 18:19
I have been scratching my head on this one and have tried a few different ways to make this work. DBP refuses to go along with anything I code. As much as I love using UDTs, perhaps the answer is to use dynamic arrays instead of UDTs.

Grog Grueslayer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Green Hell
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 20:24 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 20:29
This may not be totally what you're after. If you want to link arrays all you need is a reference to the other array. To link the knights with the faction add the faction number to the knights data. Because each knight has it's own faction number association you can add knights anywhere in the knight array and know which faction it goes with.

The two things I would get rid of in your code is the Faction ID and Knight ID... in the above code for each knight I used the array element in the Faction array as it's faction number and each knight number is it's element number so having a Faction ID and a Knight ID is pointless. Unless their used for something else.

Somarl
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 22:27
This works as intended. Thanks very much Grog. Now i think with a little playing around i will be able to keep adding to each factions knights independantly as the game cycles through its seconds, and likewise destroy knights when the combat system is running for the factions in question. But if not ill pop back here and see what else i need to learn.

Many thanks once again.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 05:18:24
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 05:18:24