Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Blackberry playbook?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 08:08
Well its not really that successful compared to others probably because RIM could not attract decent developers with Adobe AIR SDK (basically Flash), but those few users are craving for good games and they pay!

The main reason I am suggesting it other than that I do own one is because porting C++ code should be easy:
Quote: "The BlackBerry Native SDK for Tablet OS provides game developers with a native C/C++ mobile development environment. It provides access to Open GL ES 2.0 for 2D and 3D programming, and is POSIX compliant, enabling efficient and easy portability of existing games to the BlackBerry Tablet OS."

http://03268fe.netsolhost.com/bbbeta/

It still has a chance to jump with the native SDK, as it has high specs (dual core processor, 1 GB ram) and can compete with any other tablet out there, especially with its low price compared to the quality.

Plus RIM are doing their best to attract developers with development contests, free devices, free registration and submission.

I'm back
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
does this sdk only support the playbook or also the latest bb mobiles?
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Oct 2011 17:16
The Playbook OS is based on QNX Neutrino, which is completely different the one used on the smartphones. However, it is already public the the new phones will also have the QNX operating system at some point next year.

Although the developers thing is true, Playbook has been receiving a lot of good games the last couple weeks, games from EA (Sim City, Bejeweled) and Gameloft so I believe it is still a great market to be in.

----------
Paulo
http://www.mobilecreators.com
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
if next generation bb mobiles will be using the same os then it will be worth for agk to support bb as i think its a much widely used os than meego or bada
G T R
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 04:53 Edited at: 13th Oct 2011 04:56
Quote: "Playbook has been receiving a lot of good games the last couple weeks, games from EA (Sim City, Bejeweled) and Gameloft so I believe it is still a great market to be in."

Yup, it was started with Dead Space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0Cf1_K8ShJA#t=170s
And I think almost every playbook owner have bought it after having Flash games as the only option for quite some time.

Unlike the android users Blackberry fans are mostly adults with jobs and they don't mind paying few bucks for a game that worth it.

I'm back
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 06:23
The Playbook uses a C++ SDK so it's high on our radar for AppGameKit support. We want to perfect our Android and HTML5 plans first, but rest assured we have our eyes on this one

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 22:29
Quote: "We want to perfect our <blah blah blah> HTML5 plans first"

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Years of Service
User Offline
This bit sounded interesting to me, be neat if it worked with AppGameKit apks.
Quote: "Android developers can also repackage Android apps for the BlackBerry PlayBook online by using the BlackBerry Packager for Android Apps. The web tool guides developers through a step-by-step process, allowing them to test their apps for compatibility with the PlayBook, and repackage and sign their apps for submission to BlackBerry App World, all without downloading any tools.

"

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Very interesting.

So when the Android AppGameKit version comes out, we can also support the playbook using the online repack tool?
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 18:27
I don't believe so. I think the Android repackaging tool for the Playbook won't accept native applications, which is the case of the AppGameKit player.

I'll try it out here, just for fun.

----------
Paulo
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 18:58
Actually I was wrong. The Blackberry Repackage Tool (on their website) analyzed the AGKPlayer.apk and said it is compatible.

So, I downloaded the tools and repackage it accordingly, and installed it on the Playbook.

Unfortunately it has crashed on start: "The application AppGameKit Player (process com.example.android_player) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

The problem is that both - android player on Playbook and the AppGameKit player are on beta stage, so it is hard to know where the problem is, right?

Cheers

----------
Paulo
RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 21:25
Paul has a Play Book heading his way in the post, so expect support for it in the not so distant future!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
MobileCreator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 23:21
Great news! Thanks!

----------
Paulo
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 03:53
Repackaging our Android player would be a very cool result as it would allow you instant access to Playbook development and publishing Paul will have more info for you once he's blasted the last of the offending Android issues.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 01:39
From what I've read the repackage tool to convert Android apps to Playbook apps doesn't allow NDK code, which we use, so it'll have to be a separate platform. The good news is that Playbook supports C++ development and after a quick look doesn't seem too difficult.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:45:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:45:16