Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / [WIP] ASK (Audio Sequence Kit) - Sequencer / tracker

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 15:51 Edited at: 15th Oct 2011 01:11
I'm working on a sample sequencer that you can use to create music / audio tracks for your games. I'm calling it "Audio Sequence Kit" and the basic features will be as follows:

Features
Create and Edit music from sound clips ("wav")
Save the song and all required code to 'play' the sequence straight into your AppGameKit project folder
12 tracks up to 1000 bars long (about an hour long if you require it)
each bar can contain an editable, copyable 'Loop' which you can edit in the Loop Editor
Each Loop can contain up to 4 instruments playing over 16ths of a Bar
Maximum of 48 instruments playing at any one time
Basic sample set including Drums, Rock Guitar, Accoustic Guitar (so far!)

Just so you know the kind of quality of music samples I am adding the Heavy Metal / Rock guitar riffs are all by @TheSlayer! I'll be making some accoustic guitar sounds myself

Wish List
Save edited samples using various sound effects
Save the full sequence as a "wav" file

The idea is that you save a whole music track for your game that amounts to a maximum of 48 small sample sound files and one small data file rather than one huge sound file. That way you can save quite a bit of download time. If you use the same samples in multiple songs you can save even more space!

Here's a screenshot of the Track Editor in progress...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Oct 2011 23:57
Looking good Baxslash. Would you be able to import .m4a files?

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 00:24
You must be an mind reader

I have the same idea for my small games for the music

One way to get rid of the mp3 hazzle.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 00:37 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 00:45
Quote: "Looking good Baxslash. Would you be able to import .m4a files?"

No it's using wav files at the moment. The code for AppGameKit will be easily editable to use mp3 / ogg / m4a if you wish. It's made in DBPro so it has the same limitations as DBPro, unless there's a m4a dll for DBPro I'm not aware of?

I'm just uploading a short video as I finally got the basics working. Funny to be working on something for a while and FINALLY have some music being made

Here's a video:

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 00:50
Anxiously awaiting to see/hear it in action, baxslash!
So far I have 15 - 20 metalriffs recorded and there are more on the way. Heehheehh.
No longer will people have to complain about not being able to make rock/metal songs (amongst other styles like trance, house, etc...) for their games. Hehehheh.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 00:53
Send me some riffs Chris and I'll make a quick tune up

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 00:54
Quote: "No it's using wav files at the moment. The code for AppGameKit will be easily editable to use mp3 / ogg / m4a if you wish. It's made in DBPro so it has the same limitations as DBPro, unless there's a m4a dll for DBPro I'm not aware of?"

Ok, so will you be making an AppGameKit version or will you be releasing this as open source code and we have the pleasure of converting it? I have no idea if there is an m4a dll out there, I just asked because I do most of my sound recording/editing in GarageBand on my iPad which exports as m4a.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 01:01 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 01:03
Quote: "Ok, so will you be making an AppGameKit version or will you be releasing this as open source code and we have the pleasure of converting it? I have no idea if there is an m4a dll out there, I just asked because I do most of my sound recording/editing in GarageBand on my iPad which exports as m4a."

The code I'm referring to is the code you use in AppGameKit to play the song which is exported as samples and a data file. I may encode the full song but it's not a high priority. What I'm making is something you can use to create sequenced samples so that you load in maybe 30-40 small sound files and you can have literally hours of music from those few files, randomly using loops from different songs if you want or changing to suit the current level of tension on the fly

You could always record the output straight from the microphone socket using audacity but I want to get some kind of full save feature like to wav at least. I have a plugin I'm going to try for this.

EDIT: Off to bed now was up till midnight most of weekend and 2am the other night doing some 3D rendering for an interior designer... knackered

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 01:13
Quote: "The code I'm referring to is the code you use in AppGameKit to play the song which is exported as samples and a data file. "

I see.

Quote: "You could always record the output straight from the microphone socket using audacity but I want to get some kind of full save feature like to wav at least. I have a plugin I'm going to try for this."

I find that pc mics peak very easily. Sounds interesting Baxslash, I hope that plugin works.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 16:10 Edited at: 14th Oct 2011 16:10
I've improved the Loop Editor so it now has 32 channels per bar per instrument with individual volume control (not 100% working yet)...

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Oct 2011 23:59
Are those switches under each of the lights for volume?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:07
Quote: "Are those switches under each of the lights for volume?"

Yes, but not working yet, I'm concentrating on getting some other general functionality working first.

TheSlayer sent me some great guitar riffs today and I've just realised my timing is off (sorry Chris!)... I've fixed it now and spent the last half hour adding some cool drum loops to your riffs! This is going to be fun

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:15
Quote: "Yes, but not working yet, I'm concentrating on getting some other general functionality working first."

I thought so.

Quote: "TheSlayer sent me some great guitar riffs today and I've just realised my timing is off"

Chris, it appears everyone/thing has trouble processing your awesome media!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 00:51 Edited at: 15th Oct 2011 01:10
Quote: "Chris, it appears everyone/thing has trouble processing your awesome media!"

Not really, it was a calculation error on my part. Somehow I divided my BPM by 60 instead of dividing 60 by the BPM...

...or it might have been the other way around, I've had a couple of beers now...

Here's some of TheSlayer's music with some drums. A very quick demo without volume control where it is clearly required!

EDIT: ...here's the sample selector screen. Samples dropped into the main 'sample' folder are automatically detected and added to the list but not 'loaded' until they are used. When the project is saved any unused loops or sounds are purged from the project.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 01:09
That sounds awesome but how come we didn't get to hear the rest of it?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 01:15
Quote: "That sounds awesome but how come we didn't get to hear the rest of it?"

Oh, but you will... I'll be using these samples for sure

Anyway, just added another video above of the sample selector which loads all "wav" files in the sample folder grouped by the 'sub-folder' they are in. So you can stick all of your own samples into a folder called "My Samples" or whatever and they'll be added to the list and you can jump to that list by clicking on "My Samples" on the right...

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 02:02
Quote: "Oh, but you will... I'll be using these samples for sure"

Just whetting our appetites ay?

Just watched the new vid and where did you get all of those sounds from? I'd love a collection like that!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 03:01
Quote: "I've just realised my timing is off (sorry Chris!)... I've fixed it now and spent the last half hour adding some cool drum loops to your riffs! This is going to be fun"

No worries, Steve! Glad you've sorted it out.

Quote: "Chris, it appears everyone/thing has trouble processing your awesome media!"

Well, I'm working on a 512 bit OS, 256 Gig memory, 4096 TB HD, 32 Core Ultra processor, 4 quadfire graphics cards with ultrafast helicopter blade fans, laserguided multitouch screen (48 inch) with voice recognition and multi-surround stereoscopic mono integrated soundcard, and to keep everything cooled I have the whole system setup in a deepfreezer, so that might be the problem too.

Quote: "...or it might have been the other way around, I've had a couple of beers now..."

Anyways, it loox/sounds great so far, Steve! I've recorded 12 more rock riffs.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 11:10
Quote: "Just watched the new vid and where did you get all of those sounds from? I'd love a collection like that!"

The drum sounds were all freely available and once I've triple checked the source I'll provide links.

Quote: "Anyways, it loox/sounds great so far, Steve! I've recorded 12 more rock riffs."

Wow, fantastic!

A few short power chords and sound effects would be cool too so people can build their own riffs up too?

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 13:33
Quote: "A few short power chords and sound effects would be cool too so people can build their own riffs up too?"

True. I was thinking about that as well.
Doing all the power chords would be a bit too much, so I think I'll do one or two scales at the most.

Quote: "where did you get all of those sounds from? I'd love a collection like that!"

I can provide even more (acoustic/real drumsounds).

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 14:28
Quote: "Doing all the power chords would be a bit too much, so I think I'll do one or two scales at the most."

That would be plenty I'm sure.

Quote: "I can provide even more (acoustic/real drumsounds). "

Cool, thanks TheSlayer! The more 'original' samples the better!

Rich Dersheimer
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 18:08
This is really cool! And a must-have for the Arcade! project as well.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Oct 2011 18:30
Thanks Rich!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 00:47
Just wanted to let you all know that I made some good (basic) riffs that are seamlessly loopable.
I'll make those riffs in several tones, so that the user can make his tunes/melodies out of those riffs.
This combined with powerchords in several tones, will allow a great variety of different melodies!

Rock on!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Oct 2011 08:17
Quote: "Just wanted to let you all know that I made some good (basic) riffs that are seamlessly loopable.
I'll make those riffs in several tones, so that the user can make his tunes/melodies out of those riffs.
This combined with powerchords in several tones, will allow a great variety of different melodies!"

That's awesome! Can't wait to try them!'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 22:15:33
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 22:15:33