Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 02:59 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 20:52
I have been using FPSC for about a year now. this is the first time that I have some screenies worth posting. I would welcome any advice or criticsim. This is a game i am working on called fOrbidDen.

The basic outline of the story.

The year is 2015 three years after the last great war. As most American cities lay in rubble, and most of the countries citizins suffer from the first biological attack on U.S. soil. And as forigien armies occupy Main street USA. A small number of Americans who managed to find a place to remain safe during the primary attack, are begining to regroup and plan to take their country back.

Major Mike Hawk a retired special ops veteran from Denver Colorado has hid out in the Rocky Mountains for the last three years waiting for this time to come. he has heard rumors of possible surviors like him hiding out in the former goverment's ultra secret bunker deep below Denver International Airport. Major Mike as he used to be called by his fellow operatives, has found his way into the bunker to see if the rumors are true. If he can find others like him then they could possibly take their country back.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img]
[/img]
[img][/img]

Here is a video of the level without the badguys. Still working them out with Dark Shader.
http://s1100.photobucket.com/albums/g420/Troutflies/?action=view¤t=FoRbidDeN-1.mp4
Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 03:26 Edited at: 17th Oct 2011 03:27
Some interesting and very atmospheric screens you've got there. It certainly seems to have a consistent feel so far.

You may want to consider getting rid of the overlays in screen 5 however, as the black square around each of them is never a good look and distracts from the scene. (I run into this problem myself, have yet to look into the issue, I'm sure with a simple search in the forums you could find a solution).

As well, in the last screenshot, you'll probably want to move the position of the actual red lights down a bit, so that it actually looks like the light is emanating from the exit sign.

Other than that, it's not looking bad so far at all. Showing us a little more would certainly help though - perhaps a video, short demo - but to start I'd absolutely suggest posting up a storyline or basic plot.

Cheers, keep working at it, you've got a good start so far!

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
Shypaw
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 08:07 Edited at: 17th Oct 2011 08:08
Quote: "the overlays in screen 5"

The black shadow effect is indeed a nasty thing, but can be fixed just by simply turning the overlay as a dynamic entity.

Looks very cool and original there mister. I would love to hear more about the game. Storyline etc.
A great start for a game!

Braden 713
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 09:28
Quote: "but can be fixed just by simply turning the overlay as a dynamic entity"

Ah! I would have never thought of that, will have to try it the next time I run into the problem. Thanks for the tip!

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.
born for game
Years of Service
User Offline
Nice work.

Bejasc3D
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 14:52 Edited at: 17th Oct 2011 15:01
Looks great
However, I would definitely mess with the lighting in the final scene a little more, (tip, the light is emitted from the brown part at the TOP of the light in the editor, not the light bulb itself)
Also, I would change the colour of the lighting in that screen, and in screen three. I feel those colours just look too much like the stock colours, way to vibrant to be realistic.

There was a tutorial floating around on how to get really awesome looking light coming from that lamp, trouble is it was from about 2009 (I think - not sure)
I'll see if I can dig it up again and post it here if I find it.

Really like the scenery you're creating, looks very interesting and I feel like exploring!

Edit:
Here is the tutorial I was thinking of (I THINK - it isn't on youtube but is a 50mb download) It's by Creator of Zombies, an old guy from the forums some time ago. Quite skilled and talented with lighting and shaders especially
Link; http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&b=21&t=163911&p=1
Also, this tutorial here might help you, this one is done by Wolf. If you don't know who he is or what he's done, you must live under a rock
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=186371&b=21
That tutorial specifically pays attention to your lightmap settings, and the colour that your lights are. The first one talks about blending multiple lights together to create a realistic looking effect.
You should try and find the midground to get the best possible lighting. Afterall, for me at least, lighting makes or breaks the game.

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Oct 2011 19:08
I've updated your thread's name so it follows the layout for posting here; here's the thread giving an example of how to post a proper WIP here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=171920&b=25

You have some very nice lighting in many of those shots; most notably the first and second. The 4th however doesn't look so good, with the decals spread out like that. Keep it up.

-Keith

Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Oct 2011 22:28
Thanks for the feedback Everyone. Going to get a video of the level up tonight without badguys. Have to get them done up in dark shader.
Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 02:01 Edited at: 19th Oct 2011 06:36
Checking out those lighting tutorials. Thanks for the input
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 05:11
The Storyline and all other changes have to be in the initial post, that's the point of the example (and Rules).

-Keith

Troutflies
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Oct 2011 06:29
I apologize. This will be the last time you will have to tell me. I suffer from over exuberance sometimes.
kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 05:45
Improving those fire effects will do, try to make it more realistic as much as possible. But all in all, I think the game is good. And in my own opinion, your level designing skills are good.

-kulet

click the banner! =)

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 14:49:54
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 14:49:54