Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Installation ended prematurely because of an error

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 10:18 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 10:30
In 64-bit Windows 7 I get the error:
Installation ended prematurely because of an error.

when I try to install AGK.

I have tried:
msiexec /i AppGameKit1042.msi /qb

but that results in an installation that doesn't work. When trying to start the IDE the hourglass spins a while and then nothing. I can't find any relevant information in my event log.

Any help?
Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 14:18
I had the same problem with an older version of the AppGameKit installer. TGC told me to enable Windows Installer logging (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223300/) and see what causes the problem. There's also another fixit tool on that site to disable the logging again. Check that out, then send the protocol to TGC support. They can help you then.

idstam
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 20:13
SOLVED

Since this actually isn't an error in AppGameKit I thought I should try to fix it myself before annoying support.

When I started the MSI-logging as per Hubdules advice I found that it boiled down to:

DEBUG: Error 2896: Executing action WiseNextDlg failed

The general advice is to(re)register vbscript.dll

Since the installer is a 32-bit application I think the 32-bit one is all you need to register. Run this in an administrator command prompt: regsvr32 c:\Windows\System32\vbscript.dll
and try to install again.

Registering vbscript didn't help me, but it was the source of my problem. I found this article that basically tells you to rename HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Wow6432Node\CLSID\{B54F3741-5B07-11CF-A4B0-00AA004A55E8} in the registry.

The vbscript class seems to have an erroneous key in there.

I hope this helps some one else encountering this error.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-16 10:24:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-16 10:24:30