Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / ADG Coding Competition! (Prizes)

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 18:20 Edited at: 2nd Nov 2011 18:45
ADG has been running for one year and as part of our celebrations we are opening a coding competition to developers to test their skills in raw coding. Up for grabs are hundreds of dollars worth of prizes, the main prizes provided by The Game Creators. Here are a list of the rules for our first competition!

TASK
Epic Destruction - Create a scene of destruction on an epic scale. I.E. A world destroyed by a huge meteor or a city levelled by a huge explosion.

RULES
1-Submissions will be accepted in App Game Kit (AGK) Basic and Dark Basic Professional (DBP) Basic only.
2-All content must be made using native commands!
3-Submissions must be the author's own work. Any code borrowed (even if modified) from elsewhere MUST be marked as such.

DEADLINE
Submissions must be posted on the coding competition thread HERE by 00:00HRS 1st January 2012 (BEFORE new year)

JUDGING
Will be carried out by ADG admin and their judgement is final. Winners announced by 1st February 2012.

PRIZES
1st
-$100 TGC Voucher
-ADG Codemaster Badge (Gold) - For the best code to be used by the winner on the forums or in their game art for perpetuity
-5 Hours recording studio time provided by JRNTexas
-Animated sprite pack from TheSlayer
-Bespoke music track from TheSlayer

2nd
-$50 TGC Voucher
-ADG Codemaster Badge (Silver) - For the best code to be used by the winner on the forums or in their game art for perpetuity
-500 Lines of bespoke code from baxslash

Runners up (x3)
-$20 TGC Voucher
-ADG Codemaster Badge (Bronze) - For the best code to be used by the winner on the forums or in their game art for perpetuity
-Full Catalogue of apps from baxslash (including as yet unreleased software)

Updates will be added to the ADG Site: http://adg.devink.co.uk

You must have an ADG site account which is free: Get an account!

Just send me an email if you'd like further information and Good Luck!

Hubdule
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 18:52
Quote: "2-All content must be made using native commands!"

How can this be done in AppGameKit without MEMBLOCKS, DRAW commands and such? Any advice on this?

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Oct 2011 19:06
Quote: "How can this be done in AppGameKit without MEMBLOCKS, DRAW commands and such? Any advice on this?"

Blank sprites can be coloured using the "setSpriteColor(ID,r,g,b,a)" command...

An animated scene using physics could look really impressive

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 04:48 Edited at: 22nd Oct 2011 04:50
Quote: "How can this be done in AppGameKit without MEMBLOCKS, DRAW commands and such? Any advice on this?"

Here's a small snippet I whipped up using particles (no credit need for this use as you wish).

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 05:43
Sounds great. I'll try to get together an entry. Thanks for giving us a decent amount of time too! 1st of Jan may actually be possible!

OK so just to clarify (sorry - I'm being slow again)...

Quote: "Create a scene"

Presumably this can be interpreted pretty broadly right? So like a still image or an animation or some interactive content would all be acceptable?

Quote: "All content must be made using native commands!"

So this basically means no external media right? So no sprites. How about sounds?

Sorry if I'm being over legalistic here; just want to make sure I've got the right end of the stick.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 06:22
Quote: "Presumably this can be interpreted pretty broadly right? So like a still image or an animation or some interactive content would all be acceptable?"

You could do either I suppose but interactive/animated/moving scene will probably get you more points.

Quote: "So this basically means no external media right? So no sprites. How about sounds?"

So long as it's created in the program I think. So if you can create the sounds in the program then by all means go ahead but you can't load them.

A good rule of thumb for this competition would be if you can copy/paste your code into a code snippet and then someone else copy/pastes that code into AGK/DBP and hits compile it will compile and run. Hope that makes sense. Remember to post your entries on the ADG forum.

Lucas Tiridath
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 07:12
Thanks Hodgey! That clarifies it for me . Right well I'd better get brainstorming then!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 08:22
Quote: "Presumably this can be interpreted pretty broadly right? So like a still image or an animation or some interactive content would all be acceptable?"

That's fine but it would have to be pretty impressive as a still image I think.

You can use procedurally created sounds as long as they are created by code yes. The only code I've ever seen for this that's any use (DBPro) would need to be credited if used.

Quote: "A good rule of thumb for this competition would be if you can copy/paste your code into a code snippet and then someone else copy/pastes that code into AGK/DBP and hits compile it will compile and run. Hope that makes sense. Remember to post your entries on the ADG forum."

Couldn't have said it better myself

3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 20:37
I guess this excludes teir 2 stuff for submission, but if any one wants help with the graphics I might lend a hand.

Go through yourself at a wall.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Oct 2011 21:49
Graphics is all to be made using native commands. It's a pure coding challenge.

Of course DBP has more commands available for creating graphics from code so we will be adding points for inventiveness in AppGameKit

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 04:30
@3D point in space: Come on mate, you can still do something in AppGameKit Basic, it's not that different.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 10:26
There has been a question regarding whether DarkGDK submissions will be allowed. As much as we would like to allow DarkGDK submissions I don't think we (ADG Admin) have the collective knowledge of C++ to judge it well against the platforms we are all familiar with.

This is a failing on our part but not one we are in a position to change for this competition.

Sorry!

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 05:59
Everyone, remember you can use the free versions of AppGameKit and DBP to compose your scene of destruction etc.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 10:29
Yes, it's a good opportunity to win the money to buy the full software too!

Clarification
Rule number 2 need clarifying. Media must be made using native commands IE:
-You cannot save an image to a memblock and save the memblock then encode the contents as data in your code (or by any similar means)
-You cannot download media from an external source

In this competition you will be marked down for using media that was not "made" using DBPro or AppGameKit native commands. A deconstructed / reconstructed or downloaded image is not "made" using native commands.

I hope that's clear enough

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2011 11:25
The following question has been asked regarding setting resolution:

Quote: "Are there hardware/resource limitations? (Like, for argument's sake, "only 800x600 resolution" or "No more than x number of entities")."

This did come up actually in discussion with the other admin. I will say this;

Try to keep it flexible enough to run on anyone's machine IE. Start at a low resolution and check what resolutions are available before setting the display mode, or just use a standard resolution.

I will not mark anyone down for starting at 1024x768 or smaller, windowed or otherwise but that smarter your code is the better they will be marked. Larger starting resolutions than 1024x768 might be considered presumptuous and be marked down.

Quote: "Perhaps this is the stupidest question of all time and I appologise beforehand, but I'd rather ask a stupid question and make a small fool of myself than risk doing something that would make a BIG fool of myself or get disqualified."

It is always better to ask a stupid question than to provide a stupid answer, this was neither

WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 23:17
I kinda lost this in the threads somewhere. (I never visit AppGameKit forums) I'm going to have to bookmark...

I was going to ask about question 2 but I see that has already been clarified.

So, all media processed inside code using standard DBP instructions. Should be interesting. I doubt I'll do anything spectacular but I might just have a go...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 18:09 Edited at: 4th Nov 2011 18:17
Here's an effort I've made as an example of what can be done in AppGameKit without graphics:

Compiled version attached!

EDIT: This was made in about three to four hours. You all have nearly two months left!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 14:52
The deadline is looming for this competition and we currently have only one entry! Anyone can enter!

There's $100 TGC voucher as the main prize here so if you only have the trial version of AppGameKit or fancy some other product from TGC here's your opportunity.

Sorry for the bump Mods but there's only 11 days left and perhaps people have missed this thread? Please forgive me!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 19:42
Don't let these great prizes go astray, everyone! There's still time to make an entry and be one of the lucky ones to win a prize.
Go for it, I'd say, and good luck!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2012 19:57
This competition is now closed. Entries will be judged over the next few weeks and the winners will be announced the moment a decision has been reached. Immediately.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 14:40
I have compiled all of the following entries successfully and can confirm that subject to checking the content of the code they are all valid entries:

_Pauli_
Admiral MH
chromatic 3d
DVader
nonZero
RavenKnight

I wish I could give you all prizes but we only have 5 prizes to give away. As soon as we have finished judging these entries we will announce the winners!

Good luck!

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 19:43
Quote: "I wish I could give you all prizes but we only have 5 prizes to give away."

Well, that might be arranged.
I am willing to give a consolation prize for those that do not end with the first five prizes.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 17:37
Judging is more or less finished and the winners will be announced in the next ADG Newsletter on or around 25th Jan 2012!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 09:38
The winners have now been announced and can be viewed here:
ADG Newsletter #003

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 03:57:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 03:57:20