Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

2D All the way! / originally posted in newcomer's, load image problem

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 23:23
Hi,
I have to do a project for Social Studies, and saw that I could just write a little program for it so I immediately jumped on that and got the approval. I'm still working out the graphics, and I've run into a really annoying bug. I have 8 pics of a train that I will use for an animation. Whenever I run the program, or step through it in DarkEDIT it tells me that the file does not exist, I'll post the code in both another browser and a code snippet just to be sure. I would appreciate some quick help, it's due in 4 days and I'm desperate!

thanks,
Juvy

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: The First Room (FPS)
Side Projects: SHIPWRECK, the boss's school project
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2003 23:45
Oops,
Never mind. All newbs (kinda like me!) should pay attention to this. No matter whether you set it in 16,24, or 32 colors with SET DISPLAY MODE DarkBASIC classic will only display 16bit, and 256 colors bmps, not 24bit bmps.

cya all later,
Juvy

Juvenile Industries
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Well glad you got your program working, but I mainly use 24bit graphics. The problem is that not all art packages save bmp in the same way. Corel Photopaint saves 24bit bmp that work in DB.

Pincho.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2003 22:02
Thank you Pincho!
Your mentioning of other problems saving bitmaps differently gave me an idea. I still had the Paint Shop Pro trial that game with the Game Developer's series book, so I used animation shop to take apart my original gif and now have high-quality bitmaps instead of nasty 256 color ones, thanks dude!

Juvy

Juvenile Industries
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 06:36 Edited at: 27th Oct 2003 06:39
ignore this post! Sorry! Wrong code.

Juvenile Industries
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Oct 2003 06:40 Edited at: 27th Oct 2003 07:55
Uhoh, sorry for bumping, but this is bad.
I got really far on the code today. On the screen I have loaded sprites representing the cities the train will stop at. I check for collision and all that, but the big thing is, whenever I run it is goes to the part where I check collision and says "Error At Lin 125, Bob does not exist". At first the Bob part got me mad and confused, then I figured out it was a blitter object. So here's some code. I don't quite understand what it wants me to do, but I'll keep cracking.

thanks,
Juvy

[EDIT]
Whaddya know, just an hour and a half later and I've got it all figured out. Thank you so much guys for coping with my ignorance. I'll give it a day or two of frustration before posting my insignificant problems from now on.

adios,
Juvy

Juvenile Industries

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 21:37:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 21:37:36