Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Transferring AGK Created Files Between Devices of the Same & Different Platforms

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 02:30
Scenario 1:

Suppose you create a WordPad type of app using AppGameKit Tier 1 that runs on one platform. The app is able to write a text file and read it back.

Can you transfer the text file to devices of the same platform? If so, how?

Scenario 2:

Suppose you create a WordPad type of app using AppGameKit Tier 1 that runs on two platforms. The app is able to write a text file and read it back.

Can you transfer the text file between devices of different platforms? If so, how?

Since they are separate platforms, would the app on one platform be able to read the text file created by the app on the other platform?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Oct 2011 04:28
The major issue you have is that all writes within an AppGameKit app are local and sand boxed, which means the file resides in a protected app-centric location. You cannot go and copy that file to some other part of the device as that would violate the safety of a sand box (i.e. you don't want AppGameKit apps writing all over your device now). The solution is to create a central server application that runs on-line 24/7, and which will receive your text data in the form of a network packet. Your server can store the text file locally at the hub, and then send that file out to another other AppGameKit app that might request it. As the same app is used on multiple platforms, it does not matter if it's one device or ten, your file is accessible from the cloud and your AppGameKit app can retrieve it from anywhere at any time. There are one or two threads on how to create a server side app with AppGameKit, but if there is more call for it we will write a tutorial/video on the subject as it's a great mechanism for all sorts of cool app ideas (if you have access to a server plugged into the internet).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK currently has no http commands so how can you share your text file with a central server?!!!!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Oct 2011 03:11
Run an AppGameKit app on a machine that hosts a static IP address. AppGameKit network communication behaves the same across internet IP addresses as those with the computer next to you

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 07:21:58
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 07:21:58