Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

PureGDK / Why is there no wrapper for DX11?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What purpose is there to make a new wrapper whith DX9 when the newer cards are DX11 compatible? Don't get me wrong, I plan on using PGDK, but I would like to see something with DX11 or DX10 for that matter..... Any thoughts?

The fastest code is the code never written.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 05:01
This isn't a wrapper for DX9 as much as it is a wrapper for the DarkBasic Professional engine. So until DBPro's engine is updated to DX10 or higher, we're stuck with DX9.0c.

Mistrel has said in the past that he was planning on adding DX10/DX11 support, but I'm not sure how he was going to go about it.

Mr Bigglesworth
Years of Service
User Offline
To make PGDK (or DBPro) work with DX 10/11 it take a MASSIVE amount of time and work. DirectX/win32 programming is no piece of cake, trust me.
NickH
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Oct 2011 14:30
@Dar13

Surely that would be external to DBPro though? making DBPro usless when using anything other than 9.

IlluminatedFX.com
For web design and graphic design services
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "DirectX/win32 programming is no piece of cake, trust me. "

Trust me. I know what it takes. It's HUGE! Before I started using TGC's stuff, I was doing my own DX. It was one problem after another. I don't have extensive knowlege in DX, so I used the templates provided in the SDK and modified them for my needs. It's hard to understand and even harder to start from scratch. DBP/DGDK/PGDK make development much easier and faster. I'm greatful to TGC for that. I would pay money (not too much) to have a wrapper for DX11 that has the same quality as TGC's products for DX9.

If I can't find one soon, I may eventually try to make my own for my own purposes, but that will soak up a lot of time and effort I could use to make an actual game......

The fastest code is the code never written.
Dar13
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Oct 2011 01:20
Quote: "Surely that would be external to DBPro though? making DBPro usless when using anything other than 9."

Not really, the entire PureGDK wrapper is made up of function calls like this:

PureGDK calls the actual DBPro function in the related DBPro DLL.
And DX9 is actually very tightly integrated into DBPro, making it require an entire rewrite of the 3D engine(and maybe the 2D/sprite one too) to update to DX10 or DX11.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 02:21:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 02:21:16