Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / How smooth?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
When playing games, even commercial games, many times animation is not butter smooth. I found out that frame independent movement is what is used to create very smooth graphics. Otherwise when making use of 3d rendering such as opengl, graphics can be very smooth.

I was wondering what Dark Basic Pros take is on this. It seems some people consider anything that moves slow smooth, but does anyone here have a link to an example darkbasic pro program, that has smooth motion including the background scrolling by? I have tried alot of things in the past, but I was never able to create very smooth animation in anything, from C++ to Visual Basic. I am now going to give Dark Basic a try. It is more than obvious, that I am doing something wrong, but there is nothing out there as an example. Even many commerical profesional as well as indie games are rough sometimes. If you have examples, please post.
WickedX
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Oct 2011 16:38
Quel
Years of Service
User Offline
A straight forward motion is smooth if the right specs are present.
If there is an amount of annoying milisecond long stops constantly which cannot be measured with the FPS count, that's rather jitter.

Jitter does not equal "being not smooth"... the main difference is that you can't fight it with time based movement.

It may be caused by anything, from temporary high CPU usage of god knows what, or bad code optimization, to hardware malfunction or bad software environment.

Overall i have to say that DBPro doesn't really have its take on anything complex, at least without any plugins, it's just a standard base you can build upon from scratch by tricky coding.

-In.Dev.X: A unique heavy story based shoot'em ~35%
-CoreFleet: An underground commander unit based RTS ~15%
-TailsVSEggman: An Sonic themed RTS under development for idea presentation to Sega ~15%
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 02:14
A nice little trick I like to do is to turn Vsync on via set display mode. This doesn't always work for the same reasons Quel mentioned above but it helps.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:19:54
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:19:54