Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / soundscale does nothing?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 18:53
Unless I misunderstand it, soundscale does not appear to do anything.
This seems like a major issue and when I search the forum I see other people bring it up but then the threads die out without resolution.

Take for example:

I've tried soundscale from 100 - 0 and it makes no noticable difference. The sound does attenuate with distance but only by maybe 12db at best and then it levels off at that volume no matter how far away you go from the source (on the same level anyway).

Anyone have any insights?
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Hard to get
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 19:38
DBP's 3D sound commands are known to not be that great. I changed the values so it should be louder, I'll send that out in the next beta. If it doesn't do any better, I'll see if I can make a better 3D sound dll.

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st Oct 2011 19:42
Thanks, Budo. I think the top priority should be making sure it will fully attenuate so that you don't hear the sound of a bird chirping from the other side of the map, etc. As it stands, any sound in the environment will be heard from anywhere in the environment.

For game sound, I find that linear but fast curves (over a function of distance) are the most useful. Even though it may not parallel reality, it works much better for game audio.
Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 00:21
Ya soundscale only works when declared in the levelsetup.fpi and when the level first loads, it sets the scale of all dynamics on the level ..

soundfadein and soundfadeout would be nice additions
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 14:15
I completely agree with Squalker! I would love soundfadein and soundfadeout. They would be great to set the theme when entering or leaving a battle scene. It would really help set the mood.

Unfamillia

budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 14:34
Quote: "I completely agree with Squalker! I would love soundfadein and soundfadeout. They would be great to set the theme when entering or leaving a battle scene. It would really help set the mood. "

Okay, would you like it so that:
soundfadein/out=x , x is the time in milliseconds it takes to fade in / out to full or no volume?

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 14:42
Budo,

That would be perfect! That way, as soon as you kill/knock-out/diminish the last bad guy/alien/grandma, the music can slowly stop being as intense and gradually calm back down to the normal in game ambient music.

Perfect!

Unfamillia

srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 16:13
I agree with fade in and out but I still think we need better control over distance-based attenuation. It's extremely limiting to only be able to set a single sound scale for the entire game.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 16:31
Quote: "I agree with fade in and out but I still think we need better control over distance-based attenuation. It's extremely limiting to only be able to set a single sound scale for the entire game."

So a brand new sound system for FPSC then. I won't be able to work on it for about a week or so, but when I have less going on, I'll get one implemented.

Squalker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Nov 2011 20:11 Edited at: 1st Nov 2011 20:11
Quote: "So a brand new sound system for FPSC then. I won't be able to work on it for about a week or so, but when I have less going on, I'll get one implemented."

sounds good
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 22:51
Sweet! How about FMOD? Maybe that's a bit much to ask?

OpenAL might be a bit more accessible though I've no idea if it's even supported these days.

I've been using XACT for the last few years. It's part of the XNA package (i.e. Microsoft). But I've no idea what the various technical or license issues might be in integrating such a thing. Not to mention it would probably complicate the editor as it has its own design GUI.

Whenever this happens and whatever engine is used, I'll make a sound pack with scripts to showcase it.
budokaiman
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Nov 2011 23:53
Quote: "Sweet! How about FMOD? Maybe that's a bit much to ask? "

I'll take a look, never done anything with it before, so I don't know how easy or difficult it would be.

Quote: "OpenAL might be a bit more accessible though I've no idea if it's even supported these days."

I wouldn't use openAL. If I can't get FMOD working, I'll just be using directSound.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 09:50:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 09:50:43