Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Showcase / November '11 Call for the BOTB

Author
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 15:37 Edited at: 8th Nov 2011 17:36

Summer's over and it's time to get ready for all those delicious Holiday meals (and the inevitable after-meal regrets)! It's time for the Semi-Annual Call for the Best of the Best (November '11 Edition). During the Month of November any FPSCreator Developer may submit their entry for the BOTB Hall of Infamy. Your game will be looked over, picked apart and played; to see if it is worthy of the title of BOTB...along with a shiny new badge next to your avatar.

For rules, conditions and clarity; please check out the Rules of the BOTB

Any questions may be asked in this thread.

Current Entries for BOTB Nov. '11

- Canalyst - TheK

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Nov 2011 18:26
Also keep in mind; this is your last chance to be included in the 2011 VBOTB.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Nov 2011 17:36
List is started.

-Keith

Metal Devil123
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2011 19:51
Well, I usually put my images attached to some of my random comments around the forum (usually search for an old thread, so no-one will even notice it ) and use the "view" button link, which is a direct link, is that good or does it necessarily have to be on a hosting site of some kind? If I remember right, I stopped using ImageShack as it required to make an account, but if it's needed, then I can make one. Just throwing that out there.

Also good luck to everyone! Waiting forward to seeing how this goes! I guess I'll wait for weekend to do the submission (as I'm not home for the weeks) to do another build, as I need the instructions in-game and some other stuff.

Slayer267
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 03:38 Edited at: 20th Nov 2011 03:39
Sooo... January 1st is alittle too late? Lol... Operation Defuse... Released on my birthday ... Well a day early... The full game will be 10 USD but you, Keith will get it for free because of vbotb!

Edit - I just reread it... Only november... I'm sad now...

EPIC HELP! EPIC PWNAGE

www.Carnageproductions.webs.com
KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 21:01
That's alright; there's always next time!

Speaking of which; only a few days left to get in your entry, and be locked in for consideration of the next VBOTB!

-Keith

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 09:44
Keith,

would it be daft of me to enter my game for this?

It is my first game and i feel as though i am no where near as experienced as any of the other 'decent' game on here, but, i would always like to have a stab at it. I just wouldn't want to waste your time.

Anyway, my game is here, if you think it might be worthy enough and not waste your time, i will get all the necessary info over to you.

Unfamillia

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 15:34 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 15:35
Actually; it's looking quite good. Please use the Packet Submission Guidelines, and send it to me. Make sure you create a Showcase Thread for your finished demo of the game.

-Keith

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 22:06
I just watched the trailer to Canalyst.

I am no where near that level! I wish i was, but, I'm not there yet! With time and practice, i will be one day.

I don't think i will enter my game for this just yet Keith. Thank you though.

Plus, i am getting a few errors when trying to build my game. I don't even think i will be able to complete this for the DTO competition! Ah well, we live and learn.

Unfamillia

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 04:17
That's up to you; just know that there can be multiple winners of the BOTB each season, there can only be ONE VBOTB winner however.

-Keith

unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 09:38
Ah, i see. So, you have to have won BOTB in order to be considered for VBTOB. Makes sense when you say it out loud!

Ok, i will see if i can get the damn thing to build. What date does everything have to be in to you?

I understand it is two days before the end of the month and i am cutting it pretty close.

I will try to get all my info over to you.

Unfamillia

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 14:22 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 14:23
Hey Keith, as long as a BOTB submission is submitted before the first of December, is it to be considered for this year's VBOTB if it earns BOTB status? Because there seems to be a few inconsistancies with the ruling/criteria from the OP link. It states the deadline for this year's entries is set at the 25th of November. It also says that demos are no longer eligible for BOTB rather a finished game?

My PSU died on me last week, and I won't be getting a new one until Wednesday. (Putting our DTO Entry on hold until then.) I'm on my other desktop in the meantime with an integrated video card, and hockeykid and I were considering pulling an all-nighter or two to whip up an entry for this year's VBOTB if the deadline hasn't passed yet.

Kravenwolf

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 16:41
Answers:

- Yes; you have to pass the gauntlet and have your title be crowned BOTB, in order to qualify for that year's VBOTB.

- The date of Nov. 25th is old; I have to update a few things, but it is good till the first day of December (get it to me by the last day of November).

- The Demo issue is as follows. Although a finished game is preferred; I/we recognize that is not always possible when putting together a quality game. Therefore a demo is allowed, as long as it's polished from top to bottom (menus, UI, sound, etc.), and has all the appropriate items checked (Showcase thread, download link, images and video, etc.).

-Keith

Kravenwolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 17:09
Thanks for clearing that up Keith. We're going to give it a shot. And if we don't get something of quality done by the end of the month, at least we'll have gotten an early start to make next year's BOTB.

Kravenwolf

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Nov 2011 18:23
LAST DAY!

Anyone wanting to enter has till midnight tonight (EST) to get their entry to me via email (not on the forums), using the proper format.

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 14:58
CLOSED

That's it, and that's all. TheK is the only entry this season, and the last possible addition to the VBOTB lineup for 2011. Stay tuned; VBOTB is right around the corner, and we'll need community input!

-Keith

KeithC
Senior Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 01:57
I'm sorry to say that the Canalyst Demo did not make the cut for BOTB this season; as a majority of BOTB Judges voted it down. Below are a few comments and critiques by the Judges:

Quote: "-The only thing custom about the loading screens is a screen capture image from in game - hardly impressive. Sorely needed game information could have been given here.
-The save load screen is stock.

-Perhaps he did the best he could, but there were too many issues (bugs) for me that could have been fixed.

There were some nice ideas - the in-game videos, instructions on the walls, peeking and crouching, talking to AI, etc, but they were not implemented well.

-The text looked stretched (not as clear as it could have been).

-There was no explanation or reason given for the crouching/sneaking.

-You could talk to the AI or choose not to, it made no difference unless you did and picked the wrong response.

-There were issues with the weapon.

-The level design and look was basic - nothing impressive.

-Text on the screen saying I died came up intermittently though the game continued to play.

-The level crashed at the end.

The entire game/Demo amounted to less than a good size level. The first level in which there is no game-play at all could have been a cut scene. It took longer to load than it did to crawl from the crib down the stairs. The second level took less than a minute, and still, hardly any game-play at all. -BOTB Judge"

Quote: "- The wording of the AI's when they were talking rather small and hard to read.

- No objectives at the beginning to tell the player what the purpose of the game is.

- Should have had some information in regards to the crouching through the 2nd level.

- I got the constant clicking sound when you picked up the weapon -BOTB Judge"

Quote: "Cons:
Too incomplete. Seems a bit too alpha still.
The numerous game over things were distracting.
When I picked up the Makarov it never equipped I just heard constant retrieve sound looping.
The text was way too small at 1920x1080
Got stuck a few times and had to crouch to get unstuck.
The dialogue cycle left a bit to be desired.
The barrels in front of the bar are strange and i was standing on one the first time i talked which made the camera jiggle like crazy.
Can see the level for a brief moment before the video starts.
A few instances of z-sorting issues with geometry.
The guy you follow around in Lvl2 looks pretty poor quality compared to the scene.
Bland load-screens.
Had a tip to press F to pick up the gun but don't think there was a key tip for the conversation- which is encountered first.
Very short and no real game-play.

Pros:
Beautiful installer and options changer thing.
I really liked the videos
The first level had a very short load time.
Reminds me of Fallout3 (lvl1) and Metro 2035 (lvl2)... In a good way.
Nice in-game scene with the cart being moved and lowered.
Levels look overall nice at 1920x1080
No performance issues.

Final thought:
Seems about 70% complete. Would very much like to see continued development and a resubmit down the road. -BOTB Judge"

I think I speak for all Judges when I say that we'd like to see this game worked on and resubmitted for next (August '12) Season!

A big thanks to all the BOTB Judges who took the time to review this fine Title. See you next Season!

-Keith

TheK
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 09:24
To be honest, that's a little surprising for me!

Anyway, at least we now have a pretty complete list of things we can fix up or do better next time.

Thank you, Keith and all the judges.

Greetings,
Jan

Skype name: thek491

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 16:14:15
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 16:14:15