Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPSC Classic Work In Progress / [X9] Battle: LA

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 20:11 Edited at: 16th Nov 2011 20:41
Hi guys,
I'm really new to FPSC, and my first game will be about movie "Battle: LA". I want to post all of my progress here on this thread, how you will be able to see my progress and correct me if I'm wrong . So let's begin..

1. Level design:
Because I use various tools in my everyday work such as Photoshop, 3DSMAX, etc, I find that concept is everything. Thats why, my first attempt to make a game started from this photoshop sketch of Level2. Design is based from 40x40 FPSC grid units

2. 3D Level design:
After basic sketch in PS, next stop is 3D level design, but with basic "boxes" as futured entities

3. Texturing and baking
This is the picture of a 3DSMAX mental ray rendering from which I will be using the baked materials for my models

5. Skybox
Because I want to use custom skyboxes for my game, I create the basic sky for this level from cgskies.com free equirectangular image, alongside with free panoramic view of LA. After some modifications in Photoshop, you can see the whole process of making it. After that, converting to skybox is really easy with Pano2VR tool.

6. Rendered images with HDRI version of the same skydome applied in 3dsmax

Thats it for now, I will keep the thread alive

Cheers
Desecrated Studios
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 20:47
I can't see it?
Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Sorry, I'm a new member here, and my forum messages first must be approved. That's why they are kinda late
Hamburger
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2011 21:27
the sky panoramic is really cool. But take away the trees, and put REAL ones where they are. Real trees arent spherical shaped... and the buildings are also too small.

[/href]
Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
@Hamburger, thanx this is just for the basic level setup, I will make the "real" trees. Buildings are 3-4m tall. This is not FPSC screenshots yet, this is just basic level design in 3D program. texturing, baking, unwrapping and then I will export them to X and FPSC entities
kulet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 01:20
@Godzilla, learning from your first post and you as an 3dsmax user, I am sure the product/game will be a great one, how long have you been using 3dsmax? Cause as I look into that pictures? I think your already a pro 3d modeler. By the way, when making models for fpsc, as much as possible make models with less polycounts cause it lowers the speed of the game in fpsc, been experienced than all the time every time I put high poly models in my games. But all in all, I see this will be a good one! I will be watching this thread and if you want to feature your game to my website if the demo is done, you can drop me an email, rwsbmgaes@gmail.com or just message me in one of threads here, you can also visit the website, where I will put your game if ever you plan to advertise it to my site. It's free for indie developers so don't worry. Here is the website www.rwsbgames.com Just want to help developers...

work in progress
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 03:13
Quote: "Cause as I look into that pictures? I think your already a pro 3d modeler"

I do not see much modeling there, however I see a great deal of excellent texture work. I love that you actually blocked out the map. I think this is the first WIP thread I have seen where someone did that. And that shows the level most of these developers are at (No offense, but it separates a game developer from a hobbyist). I trust something good to come from this, don't let me down

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Nov 2011 03:49 Edited at: 17th Nov 2011 03:56
Working this way is all fine, but without any experience of FPSC and what it can handle you are definately going to run into major problems. With any game design software its best to use it for a few and get to learn its limitations before tackling anything full scale like this, you will save yourself a lot of time and headaches.
Its also mandatory to have an in game screenshot for this board...
You lost me with the low res sky image being HDRI in one of your screenshots, if you mean you purchased the higher res version you should maybe use a higher res version of the city skyline to go with it.

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "@Godzilla, learning from your first post and you as an 3dsmax user, I am sure the product/game will be a great one, how long have you been using 3dsmax?"

Thanx kulet, I've been using 3dsmax for about 10 years.

Quote: "I trust something good to come from this, don't let me down "

I will try not to

Quote: "You lost me with the low res sky image being HDRI in one of your screenshots, if you mean you purchased the higher res version you should maybe use a higher res version of the city skyline to go with it."

The equirectangular image is 5000px x 2500px, and the skyline is 8826px x 600px. The HDRI version of the sky is 1500px x 750px which is really enough to make a large 360 panoramic shot from 3dsmax, if the quality of the first one will be bad in the final production. Today I will make the skybox ready for FPSC and I will see.

And guys, thanx for your suggestions and comments, I really appreciate this.
Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, here is my skybox in FPSC test game viewer. It turns quite good acctualy . Eventually I will place the lightrays and sun in exact position where is it on the picture. (i read some tutorials here in which says that something like that is possible?)

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Update .. Finished model of the chopper CH46s that was in the movie. Low-poly count (cca 1000 tris), baked texture. Screenshots bellow (from modelling, texturing and FPSC ready)

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
And one little question. I made the exactly the same dimensions like the real one, using reference unit 100unit = 1 meter in the modelling process. So please correct me if I'm wrong. Tnx
TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 02:14
Whoa! the program your using must be very easy and good what is it??

Joey-May god have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
Favourite Game-Call Of Duty MW2
Design Runner
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 03:46
Quote: "Whoa! the program your using must be very easy and good what is it??
"

Quote: "Thanx kulet, I've been using 3dsmax for about 10 years."

Quote: "@Godzilla, learning from your first post and you as an 3dsmax user"

Quote: "Because I use various tools in my everyday work such as Photoshop, 3DSMAX, etc,"

Quote: "This is the picture of a 3DSMAX"

Quote: "6. Rendered images with HDRI version of the same skydome applied in 3dsmax"

TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Nov 2011 14:39
Dude, i get it, i get it

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
..Intro video .. .. This will be the video file for the level 2 "story zone" of my game. Like in the movie, scene from the "Insertion phase". So I made the "green matte" skybox for FPSC, because I need kinda green screen matte for editing in After Effects. Couple of entities, one custom room segment (for the interior) and "341" characters. Recorded in Fraps, and later on, imported to AE, edited and here is the result. I hope you like it

charger bandit
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Nov 2011 22:19
This looks like a pretty awesome project. It looks really professional. Keep up the work.

TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 00:54 Edited at: 20th Nov 2011 00:56
Great!!!
i really gotta try that someday looks alot like
battlefeild, you should sell this when its done

TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Nov 2011 00:57
Also are you going to put this on the load screen or is this right in the level like, the player can control this
if you know what i mean

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Also are you going to put this on the load screen or is this right in the level like, the player can control this
if you know what i mean"
.. I will love to, but I think that this kind of efx I won't get in FPSC at all . This will be just for the story zone, video in the level.

After all, I develop this game for two engines. One is for FPSC, second one is for Cryengine3. And the second one, will have this kind of level efx and many more different features. But this info is for some other forum . Let's stay on FPSC...

So, the next thing is the alien character. Just like in the movie, bipedal creature of some sort... Ugly, scary... This is screenshots from 3dsmax, and now I'm entering the skinning phase for character animation. I believe that I will manage all of the animations from scratch for this character, because the FPSC default one is not so realistic.

The screenshots of alien character:
low poly: 984 faces
Standard low poly: 3110 faces
Somewhat hi-poly: 4733 (pre-build for normal map rendering)

[img=http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/7505/alien1c.jpg]
[img=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1218/alien3n.jpg]
[img=http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/465/alien2p.jpg]
Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline

maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 09:57
with the alien you stick very intense to the design of the movie. thought about copyrights and asking for permission to the holders? just a hint.

nevertheless great work, go on with this.
TheDesertEagle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Nov 2011 21:55
Quote: "I will love to, but I think that this kind of efx I won't get in FPSC at all . This will be just for the story zone, video in the level. "

Well you can put a video on the load screen

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "thought about copyrights and asking for permission to the holders? just a hint."

Game will be free, project is really based on "educational" purposes so I don't think that copyrights will be the problem at all.

Quote: "Well you can put a video on the load screen"

This is usefull info Tnx
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 02:44 Edited at: 25th Nov 2011 03:15
Quote: "I'm really new to FPSC, and my first game will be about movie "Battle: LA". I want to post all of my progress here on this thread, how you will be able to see my progress and correct me if I'm wrong "

Quote: "Game will be free, project is really based on "educational" purposes so I don't think that copyrights will be the problem at all."

As someone who seems to have at least a basic handle on production techniques in Photoshop/Max/afterf/x you should know better, copyrights are not waived by something being free or educational, you wont be able to release this as is without permissions, at least not around here.
I am liking your work but concerned that your giving younger folks on this forum the wrong info, especially when your giving the impression you do this for a living.
Quote: "Because I use various tools in my everyday work such as Photoshop, 3DSMAX, etc"

Based on.....would be a better idea and not so closely copied.

I have seen other games being made directly based on movies and existing AAA games around here and they are asking for the same kind of problems, it never occurs to folks that a major part of copyrights are about trademark, they can sue you simply because they feel that your 'free' product is not good enough and lowers the bar on their trademarked product (in which case 'cease and desist' is likely), to put it into simple terms. Not to mention if they feel that your free product costs them sales then they will look for recompense.

Of course if you were to ask permission they might well be delighted and flattered and even offer you some cash to advance your project....who knows. But without written permission your taking a chance.

Godzilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Based on.....would be a better idea and not so closely copied."

You are right upon certain things, but you have also "fan art" based projects out there. For example, professional comic adaptations of the Star Wars films would not be considered fan art while a version done by an unaffiliated fan would be. The distinctions here cannot always be finely drawn and the actual status of particular works can often fall into a gray area.

Quote: "The legal status of fan made art in America may be tricky due to the vagaries of the United States Copyright Act. Generally, the right to reproduce and display pieces of artwork is controlled by the original author or artist under 17 U.S.C. § 106. However, fan art using settings and characters from a previously created work could be considered a derivative work, which would place control of the copyright with the owner of that original work. Display and distribution of fan art that would be considered a derivative work would be unlawful.

However, American copyright law allows for the production, display and distribution of derivative works if they fall under a fair use exemption, 17 U.S.C. § 107. A court would look at all relevant facts and circumstances to determine whether a particular use qualifies as fair use; a multi-pronged rubric for this decision involves evaluating the amount and substantiality of the original appropriated, the transformative nature of the derivative work, whether the derivative work was done for educational or noncommercial use, and the economic effect that the derivative work imposes on the copyright holder's ability to make and exploit their own derivative works. None of these factors is alone dispositive.

American courts also typically grant broad protection to parody, and some fan art may fall into this category. This has not explicitly been adjudicated with respect to fan art, however. Moreover, while parody is typically afforded protection under § 107, a court must engage in a fact-intensive, case-specific inquiry for each work.
"

So, yes, copyright issues is for those who wants to sell or release project based on trademark and copyrighted characters. But when I said "educational purposes" I said in the terms of "MY educational purposes" for realtime game engine like FPSC. My game will never be seen by the large audience, therefore this "game" or "project" is:
a) Based on the Battle:LA movie
b) Just for my personal use
c) Models of an alien character is not 100% real one-to-one characters like in the movie and they never will be released to the general public.
d) Other models, such as houses, vehicles, various entities, skyboxes made by me will be published here for free, for the sake of community.

After I finish this game, I'll make another one for the general audience and this game will be based on "Battle:LA", but starting from name and everything else will be different. For example "Battle: NY" or "Battle:London" or whatever, and ofcourse the original copyright owners will be notified and asked for permission.

And thanks for the info, you are right for certain things, and especially for younger folks here. They must be educated about this.
rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I guess the question is..."do you wait till your in court to prove the point or do you simply cover your butt from the start"

raymondlee306
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 23:58 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 19:11
This looks good man, very creative approach.
uman
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Nov 2011 16:17 Edited at: 26th Nov 2011 16:25
Here we go again :

Here the rule is - it matters not if a thread, post or game is intended to be developed for distribution "Free" or "for Sale" (commercial gain) or "other" if it contains materials considered by Moderators to be containing materials of a nature which may infringe others copyrights.

Please be clear about this. With regard to copyrights of any kind.

What goes on outside of the forums in the wider world is not relevant here.

What you can and can not do here is governed by the rules of these forums as interpreted by the Moderators :

Copyrighted materials of any kind cannot be displayed or distributed from these forums.

What constitutes an infringement of copyright will be determined by the Moderators at their discretion and action will be taken or not against such threads, materials and or the posters as decided by them appropriately in each individual case.

Thus threads may be locked, materials removed, posters penalised appropriately.

Clearly if you wish to invest large amounts of your valuable time in an endeavour which does not conform to the above then you do so at your own risk so it is in your best interests to follow the above.

If you do not the its not likely in such cases that you will be successful here.

You personal opinions about copyright issues or concerns Moderators may have about materials at these forums, do not count here.

All such threads are highlighted and marked clearly to Moderators so they can all clearly see them and keep them under close scrutiny. If they are considered in any way to come anywhere close to an infringement of copyrights or be likely to bring TGC or these forums into disrepute as interpreted by the Moderators, then such threads will be terminated permanently and any other additional actions deemed necessary taken.

Quote: "Game will be free, project is really based on "educational" purposes so I don't think that copyrights will be the problem at all."

Incorrect Following that line of thinking will result in failure of this project here. Do not quote external content here regarding copyright law. What is allowed and what is not allowed here at these forums is decided by the Moderators. Period.

I will leave this open for the moment and suggest that my comments are adhered to and the content of the thread and any other similar appropriately tailored to follow them. If not they may be ended without further debate.

The considerations above will be strictly enforced in all cases : I trust that is quite clear.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 20:59:33
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 20:59:33