Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit/AppGameKit Studio Showcase / Interstellar: Between the Stars

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jul 2012 16:27
Quote: "Baxslash can't do everything!"

Sorry to say I didn't get much time, downloading now...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Jul 2012 18:26 Edited at: 26th Jul 2012 18:46
Quote: "Didn't try the networking but the basic gameplay is really smooth and I got no errors.
I really like how it slightly zooms in and out with your speed."

That's a good sign! I'm glad everyone seems to like the camera too... I'm pretty sure the version here has the exponential camera as opposed to the linear one(the old one)... I can't quite remember. Anyways, it's a bit more like the camera from my original write, although the code behind it is far from similar.

Quote: "Sorry to say I didn't get much time, downloading now..."

I wondered for a couple of days, but then this thread popped up

Anyways! I ran some long tests with another user and came up with 2 network bugs.
1. [fixed]Camera jitters occasionally occur
Turns out using only the client's locally generated numbers as opposed to a mix worked. I was actually surprised by it! Regardless, it worked!
2. A wrapping bug occurs when the host and a client are on opposite sides of the map. The clients can travel through some asteroids. (and will bounce around like crazy!)

swis
Interstellar
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jul 2012 20:21 Edited at: 27th Jul 2012 20:26
Sorry Baxslash! I've got another version to download!
This one has such a long list of changes I've lost count, but I'll point out the big ones.

Chat Command Set:

these commands can be typed into the chat in order to alter the game in real time. Most of them have special conditions though. For example, names must be set before joining any games (the names can't be changed once you're in game) and adding/removing game items can only be done as the host.

Also, you can now scroll through the chat using the "q"/"a" keys (it will save 100 messages before removing them) You can now either open the chat with the "y" key or click on it as before.

Known Bugs:
Client Wrapping Bug - I haven't really gotten to this one yet! It, unfortunately, wasn't anything simple, but the bug has very little effect on the gameplay at the moment so I'm not very worried about it
Client Buildup - This is the AppGameKit bug that I mentioned earlier. Clients don't understand that other clients have quit, so eventually a large list could build up if not reset (this is represented by blank spaces in the player listing)

That's all so, have fun!
Edit: Oh, also, I've changed the bullet options so 4 choices are available. This is just for fun!

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

Login to view attachments
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Aug 2012 22:56 Edited at: 9th Aug 2012 20:02
It's been quite quiet here lately but I've still been making great progress! There have been many structural changes and I've also added a spectator option for players who don't have a ship available to them. Health markers are going in as well! An update will be coming by some time soon, but I haven't marked a day... for now the most recent version is still right above!

Edit: for picture

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Aug 2012 19:37 Edited at: 9th Aug 2012 20:00
Update!

Chat Commands List

Here we have another update! Along with other things, this update brings in the concept of sessions. A session stores the game values and setting that should be used at a given time. They function as a game setup save. That being said, they are only applied when contructing a game. Therefore, they can be altered on the fly without impacting the game. Later, I'll permit the use of many sessions, but at the moment with the restrictions of text input, you only have access to one. With session and sessionship commands you're able to play around with any setup you would like! Ship type 2 has been added, but it's just experimental. (the graphic is actually a scaled up triangle bullet!) As well as health "circles". Enjoy!

Controls:
arrow keys - movement
z - primary bullet
q/a - scroll up/down in chat
y - open chat (or just click on the chat)
w/r - scroll camera through the ships on the playing field
e/s/d/f - If camera is in free form mode, move camera around map
t/g - If camera is in free form mode, zoom in/out
o - host
p - join
esc - pause

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks like the latest update will be coming along soon! I just have to fix more more bug before releasing it

swis
Interstellar
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
...and here it is!

a couple quick notes before I get going...

I've added energy to the ship meters, but I've also set them to rotate along with the ship. To see this effect spam some bullets and spin around, you'll know what I mean . Anyways, I'm unsure whether or not this effect is distracting or appealing. Every opinion counts! Also, if you're hosting or playing in local mode you'll see damage reports in the chat... these are to show off one of the more recent effects. Energy now also acts as a form of armor... damage is cut to 1/4 when energy levels are above 75 and increase exponentially as levels drop. Play around with it and see what you think. Lastly, I would suggest not using the type 2 ship because I haven't touched it and it is bound to be quite out of balance (due to some hefty engine changes ) Enjoy!

Controls:
arrow keys - movement
z - primary bullet
x - secondary bullet
q/a - scroll up/down in chat
y - open chat (or just click on the chat)
w/r - scroll camera through the ships on the playing field
e/s/d/f - If camera is in free form mode, move camera around map
t/g - If camera is in free form mode, zoom in/out
o - host
p - join
esc - pause

swis
Interstellar

Attachments

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd like to add a quick note. Although I've made some progress recently, in order for me to truly proceed, I need to wait for the next AppGameKit update that will hopefully contain a bug fix I have been awaiting. More news soon!

swis
Interstellar
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Sep 2012 16:46
This is looking good, some nice features creeping in there! I like the secondary weapon for one thing.

Keep it up! Shame you don't get more comments here IMO...

this.mess = abs(sin(times#))
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks baxslash!
Quote: "Keep it up! Shame you don't get more comments here IMO..."

It has been very quiet lately hasn't it? Maybe I'll be needing fresh visuals sooner than I thought!

swis
Interstellar
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Sep 2012 16:42
Hey swiss, send me an email, I got a present for you.

swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Hey swiss, send me an email, I got a present for you."

It has been sent.

swis
Interstellar
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
Just a note, I've still been making progress as usual! Hopefully the newest update to AppGameKit will hold the fixes I need to get another demo out.

swis
Interstellar
swissolo
Years of Service
User Offline
For the moment I am unable to run Interstellar on v108 due to some odd sprite or physics bug. I believe v108 does include the fixes I've been looking for, but for the moment I'll hold back. Hopefully TGC is already on the issue, but if time passes and the problem isn't repaired, it looks like I'll have to go code sifting. (luckily my code is fairly broken up so my hope is that it won't be too painful )

swis
Interstellar

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 06:49:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 06:49:26