Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / Android tier 1 publishing - not displaying images problem

Author
Message
Jammy
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 15th Jan 2003
Location: Scotland
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 18:37 Edited at: 25th Nov 2011 18:38
As can be seen in the screen-shot, I have managed to get my first test program working on the android emulator (I know it is slow but I don’t have direct access to a phone and would try on a friends before publishing).

However it is not displaying the images only placeholders, the program otherwise works great and moves as it should. The full colour AppGameKit preview is how it should look.

I suspect I am not putting the images into the right place for android compiler, though I have tried many different configurations. You can see where I have them currently.



Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
bjadams
AGK Backer
11
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th Mar 2008
Location:
Posted: 25th Nov 2011 20:06
Create a directory called ASSETS in the ANDROIDTEST folder.
Put your media there.
In Eclipse press F5 to refresh project
Jammy
16
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 15th Jan 2003
Location: Scotland
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 13:39 Edited at: 29th Nov 2011 13:40
Thanks bjadams, however that was the first configuration I tried (as it was in the instructions) and I got the same result - no images being displayed.

After much messing about and pulling hair, I have found my problem.

Dohhhh

I am so used to DBP not caring about Letter case and AppGameKit for the PC not caring, I am very sloppy about it.

My AppGameKit code was

loadImage(1,”background.jpg”)
loadImage(2,”body.png”)
loadImage(3,”head.png”)

And the Images were

Background.jpg
Body.png
Head.png

As I said DBP and AGK(PC version) do not care, but they need to be the same for Android.

Here is it working - still to be tested on a real phone.



I have also found this site -

http://blogs.nuxeo.com/dev/2011/10/speeding-up-the-android-emulator.html

Which may be useful to anyone who does not have direct access to a phone. ( I have still to test this too, but it should work)


Great job by the way - TGC

Attachments

Login to view attachments
chunks chunks
12
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 2nd Jan 2007
Location: ackworth uk
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 13:56
Just figured it out too it needs to be lower case then it compiles fine , also look in the thread compiling for android there is a post with a link where you can set up a builder to do away with cygwin , much easier yipppee .

nvidia geforce 9500gt + amd athlon 64
windows vista ultimate.
Impetus73
8
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 28th Aug 2011
Location: Volda, Norway
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 14:06
Yes, now I found out why one of my sprites did not appear on android, an I became i, and it did not load... Paul, this should get fixed! no need for case sensitive media files!

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
11
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 29th Mar 2008
Location:
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 14:18
Well there is nothing to fix really, just always use lowercasing!!!
JimHawkins
10
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 26th Jul 2009
Location: Hull - UK
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 14:22
It's Unix or Linux or C. Boring - but just needs a bit of discipline. No way should AppGameKit mess with filename case!

-- Jim
Impetus73
8
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 28th Aug 2011
Location: Volda, Norway
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 15:03
Maybe they can just MENTION it in the doc's then?

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
17
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 16th Nov 2002
Location: United Kingdom
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 18:15
We implemented a system in AppGameKit that tries to find the correct path regardless of case, but it turns out media in the asset folder is not traversable from code (it must know the filename in advance) so without a brute force approach (try every possible combination of case) media in the asset folder will be case sensitive in AGK.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
19
Years of Service
User Offline
Joined: 21st Jan 2000
Location: England
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 23:50
If you post a defect report in the Google Issues Board (http://code.google.com/p/agk/issues/list) along the lines of which help pages you want us to mention about the lower case issue, we can get right on that for build 107.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2019-12-13 16:16:13
Your offset time is: 2019-12-13 16:16:13