Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AGK Roadmap for the rest of 2011 and 2012

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 05:31
TGC,

Is it possible to get a detailed public roadmap for the rest of 2011 and for 2012? Now that AppGameKit has been out for a few months it would be nice to see what is coming in the near future and future in general.

I would like to see what is FREE and what is going to be a purchased upgrade in the future and what you are considering for the future. I know Lee sends out tweets but has he thought of a TGC Blog in general?

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I think for 2011 we will get BlackBerry Playbook and more bug fixes.

Who knows what's in for 2012 at this rate!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Nov 2011 10:41
This is from the AppGameKit site. Perhaps not as detailed as you are asking but should give you a hint.

The current road map for new platforms is as follows;

* BlackBerry
* HTML5
* Windows Mobile 7

* Road map plans are correct as of October 2011 but may be subject to change.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 23:34
In the more immediate plan, we're also providing you with Advert Commands and HTTP Commands in the 107 build. We won't be adding as many features per update as we did for DBP as this lead to a case of 'too many features, not enough fixes' so you will get a slower stream of toys with a higher proportion of fixes and stability work to ensure the platforms we do support are supported well. Major Upgrades which are expected to hit every twelve months or so would include brand new features such as additional platforms, whole new command categories and extra tools, utilities, content that are developed in the background, tested then released all at once. That said, we are still at the early stages of the AppGameKit brand and I think we will continue to release new platforms as part of your existing AppGameKit product (like we did with Android and we are going to do with Playbook and other immediate platforms). Bottom line, don't expect any sort of Major Upgrade product for another 8 months, but do expect lots of little treats along the way.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 04:22
Lee,

What ideas are you throwing up for a Major upgrade (assuming the major upgrade costs money).

Also, when do you expect to have HTML5 support for testing?

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Major update = paid feature, so does this mean we will have to pay a fee every 12 months to keep afloat with new AppGameKit versions?
This would be no problem for those who manage to make some $ from their apps, but for us hobbyists, who do 1 free app per year, having to pay the $99 yearly Apple fee is already enough!

Or maybe the upadet will only involve a minimal update fee and not have to pay $110 again?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 00:10
We so far away from a 'major upgrade' anything I might say would become barely relevant eight months from now It's also key to understand that the version you have now does not expire in 12 months, or cease to function in any way. Minor updates remain free, which include all bug fixes and functionality corrections and tweaks. The AppGameKit you buy today you can still use five years from now, and you are under no obligation to upgrade at any time.

If I take the dangerous step of using an analogy, it's like buying a new car (not leasing one). When you buy it, it's yours. It will require servicing from time to time but it does the job of getting you where you want to go. Sure in five years time a newer sleeker model comes out, but you are not obligated to buy it, you only buy the new model if you like some of the new gadgets it has. Unlike car dealerships, TGC will give you a great deal for trading in your old model via an upgrade discount

It is a departure from the old DBP business model where you buy it in 2002 and enjoy new features eight years later for free. The problem with that is the revenue from the product drops to such a degree it cannot sustain a full development team to maintain it. The feedback we received over the years is that you want a programming language that is absolutely rock solid, and one that keeps pace with technology year after year. By offering extra toys every 12-18 months to those that can afford to upgrade, we make AppGameKit stronger for everyone. One advantage in this shift from feature drops to fixes is that the version you'll have by the time a major upgrade arrives will be very stable and proven, uncluttered with hastily rushed out features and in little need of ongoing fixes.

Major Upgrade's are a distant spec on the horizon at the moment, you have HTML and Playbook to look forward to, plus some valuable new command sets to improve what you can do with an AppGameKit app across the device continuum.

P.S. HTML5 is on my immediate radar and I have started some prototypes, and might yet morph into a basic HTML + Java + OpenGL initially to capture more browse compatibility. Once I have something nifty to show, I will tweet it so keep watching!

P.P.S. If you have a real problem with the 'major upgrade' strategy for AppGameKit, I would like to hear your views on the subject. Thanks.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for clearing things Lee.

I can understand that 3D would be a major update, and I don't pretend that we get a full 3d command set for free!!!

Other SDKs have you pay a hefty yearly fee, and that's ok for companies who have a good profit turnover. But people like me, who will publish 1 simple free game at most per year, just for our own enjoyment, prefer to pay a 1 time fee like AppGameKit is now. A lot of people are already holding back from paying the $99 Apple fee and compile the AppGameKit player themselves. I can understand them, when you are just a hobbyist even $20 counts.

Looking forward to HTML5, it will be interesting to see how AppGameKit will be packaged for deployment on the web!!!
kaband
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Dec 2011 22:15
The updates sound exciting Lee. I'm going to chime in the with the major upgrade cost. I am perfectly happy to pay for the major upgrade cost as long as AppGameKit gets the support (fixes/updates/attention) it needs between major updates. As lovely as a one time fee sounds it is exactly as you said - unsustainable. I'd rather pay more over the long term and receive a better product than just one time and receive a so-so product. As long as major upgrade prices remain reasonable as I'm sure they will/would.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Kaband, exactly as you said - it all depends on the price of the upgrade!
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 12:50
Stop whining about $this and that, nothing at TGC is expensive, if you want to buy adobe or microsoft programs, you have to pay 100 to 1000 times as much... I think TGC are selling themself cheap as it is, and I don't mind paying for the hard work they put into their products. In Norway $20 is barely enaugh for a lunch, I don't get it...

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 13:03
Totally agree with Impetus73. We had to pay £373 recently just to upgrade Delphi to XE2. Real price is £636. Admittedly, it does a hell of lot more - but TGC charge very little for the effort they put in.

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Impetus, Visual Studio Express is free, so you don't have to pay 1000 times as much!
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 07:40
It's free, because people have paid 1000 of $ to microsoft for all their other programs for decades. If TGC had that income, they could do the same. Microsoft only gives away free stuff to capture poor students, so they will start loving microsoft, and get use to their systems... then they make money on those same students, when they start working for some company later.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 10:11
Quote: "then they make money on those same students, when they start working for some company later."

When said company buys their own software and provides said ex students with a free MSDN subscription entitling them to free Microsoft software.

Much like my employer has. Ahhh, I love free Microsoft stuff.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 11:07 Edited at: 11th Dec 2011 11:09
Almost like drug dealers, give some away for free, and they'r hooked for life

Said companies, buy what the students wants them to buy, since they need that for the work they do for the company. And the students then ask for microsoft products.

----------------
AGK user - novice
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I can't complain about Visual Studio. It's surely much more better than Eclipse!!!!!!

My laptop came with a Windows7 licence, so I did not have to pay Microsoft any 1000$.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 11:51
I got an MSDN, I haven't had to pay for any of my 7 windows 7 ultimate licences!

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 12:00
MSDN is not free, it's rather expensive infact. We're not talking about you getting free software from your office, and by the way you'r not allowed to install those at home . We were talking about free software from the original developers.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Josk
Years of Service
User Offline
Back on topic, I think paying for upgrades such as a 3D command set is fine.
Something like 3D is an easy example as some will want it and some wont.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 21:21
Paying for software upgrades is how it works with pretty much every other software out there, bugfixes and minor improvements for free. I want AppGameKit to continue to evolve and so I hope a lot of people pay for the upgrades. But I think it is important that those who don't want to buy upgrades can still use their software. I don't like annual dev fees.

fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 11:44
I would like the ability to display web pages (html and javascript) into an agk project, this would make me very happy

blueFire
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 18:52
I agree with fallen one on this. I would like to see a browser object added to the AppGameKit which would allow us to display a fully functional web page inside any project. This would naturally be in addition to being able to port projects to the HTML5 platform.

Jason
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Apart from being able to open the platform's browser and display a webpage url, I would also like the ability to open a full screen no buttons browser and be able to run local html. As I said in other posts, this would facilitate things a lot when adding animated HTML5 intros and cut scenes to games.
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 19:20
Quote: "full screen no buttons browser"
yes I agree with that, I had a coder make me this in Xcode, but sound was a real headache, so it often wasn't worth putting into an app, he also added in the ability to re size the web page to fit the screen, if it wasn't the same aspect ratio it re sized it to its longest edge, So that was a nice addition.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 17:02
Thanks for the feedback, and very pleased you're on board with our major upgrade policy. Don't worry about the projected upgrade price, it will be a TGC price

Alien Menace
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Dec 2011 19:14
I'm totally on-board with paying for major updates as long as the fee is reasonable and the license does not expire for the version you pay for. I would also pay for dynamic types, I want them THAT badly.

Intel i7-2600k - Asus P67 Sabertooth - 16GB RAM - 2x GTX 460 OC SLI - Lexar 128GB SSD Drive - 2TB ATA/600, Windows 7 x64. iPad, iPad2, iPhone 3GS & 4, HTC Inspire, Mac-Mini. Apps published: 1

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-03 15:43:22
Your offset time is: 2024-05-03 15:43:22