Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / Elder Scrolls Style RPG Engine

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 19:50 Edited at: 21st Jan 2012 12:15
Hey,

UPDATE: I have almost finished the editor that includes moulding of the water object (Different water levels), Terrain Design, Object Placement, Object IDs, Portals, Waypoints, AI, NPC Dialouge etc... I will release a demo of the engine which will allow you to make a simple world with demo media soon...

I have been working on an Elder Scrolls style RPG Engine for the last week, and I thought I would share it so far After I finish, I intend to make a game with it. This is my first 3d project, and my first project that is more advanced than pong so any help is much appreciated… If you have any ideas then please tell me

Features ( - Done, - In Progress, - Not Started):
Level Editor (Terrain, NPC Paths, Activatables:
Weather (Rain, Fog, Snow, Sunny)
Advanced Sky System (Dynamic Clouds, Sky color changing, Sunsets / Rises, Realistic Sun that changes size / colour, Moon, Sunlight scattering, and Lense Flare)
Water & Flooding / Puddles from Rain
Zone loading / switching
Sun & Moon (With Day & Night)
Gravity / Physics
Basic Controls
Realtime Lighting / Shadows
GUI
NPCs / AI
Combat
Questing
Post Processing (Shaders E.G. Bloom, Motion Blur, Depth of Field)

Screenshots:
Shows Enemy AI & Sunglare. No shaders on except water. (For some reason when i play it in 1280x1024 to screenshot it, the water gets all messed up so i'm working on that now...)

The following images were captured in early stages, and the engine looks very different now. I will be uploading new screenshots soon, including the new editor.

Shows the incomplete GUI, puddles / flooding from rain, and the new NPC / AI system (The green bubble is for debug; it means that it is friendly, and it shows the NPC's range...

Clocktower in the testing town

That isn't stars, it's snow

Matt
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 21:14
Are you using Dark Clouds?

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 21:47
no

Welcome down to London City where the attitudes bad and the weather is shitty...
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 21:56
Wooo nice I am intrigued!

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Nov 2011 21:59
ty

Welcome down to London City where the attitudes bad and the weather is shitty...
Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 21:11
added a couply of screenshots from the testing town... object collision is now fully complete and so is switching between zones via gates (portals)

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 22:15
How did you do rain?

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 22:24
using thin triangles... ill give you the function if u want?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Dec 2011 23:11
Pretty,please

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 15:00 Edited at: 2nd Dec 2011 15:01
ok you need this to set it up (you can change the number of particles):

And then just call this in your loop:

You need to set the rainspeed#, and it is configured for camera 1 but you can change that to another camera or object

If you want snow, do the same thing but with small planes, and make them fall slower

Matt

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 18:11
Thank you... Will have a go when I get the chance...

Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 02:20 Edited at: 14th Dec 2011 02:44
This looks good, but I don't think you have the experience for this kind if thing yet (EDIT: maybe you do, but you should research dynamic arrays and DBPro's UDTs ). For particles you should always use a dynamic array so they can be deleted when they collide with something. The object number should be retrieved dynamically (usually with the free Matrix1Utils plugin) and not preset in the code.

GUIs, NPC, combat etc. should be completed before any kind of graphical "prettiness". It's easy to make cool-looking snow or rain or lens flares, but it's not easy to make clever AIs that you can talk to.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I know all of this from experience and it can save you a lot of hard work for nothing

However, I am interested in how you made the test town. Did you use CS4 or 3DWS?

EDIT: Please change or remove your signature! That kind of language is not allowed and is unnecessary.

Clonkex

Dr Tank
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 04:45
Looks nice. Try lowering the object numbers (not the number of objects, but the object number you use for each object), and you may see your framerate increase. One of the quirks of Dark Basic is that it gets pretty slow if you use large numbers for your objects. You probably can use numbers lower than 10000+ for your rain!
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 02:11 Edited at: 14th Dec 2011 02:42
Quote: "One of the quirks of Dark Basic is that it gets pretty slow if you use large numbers for your objects. You probably can use numbers lower than 10000+ for your rain!"

That's one reason I use dynamic arrays and Find Free Object(). It means the object numbers only go as high as is absolutely necessary.

Clonkex

Airslide
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 18:09 Edited at: 21st Dec 2011 18:14
Quote: "For particles you should always use a dynamic array so they can be deleted when they collide with something"

I personally wouldn't do that in a particle engine. Ideally, particles should probably be held in a dynamic array, but they should never be deleted unless perhaps they pass some sort of threshold designed to keep memory consumption down. It is much better to just reuse the objects, especially in DBP where there is an additional performance hit for creating/loading them. When the particle is "destroyed", just hide it away.

I would suggest preallocating roughly the number of particles you will expect the game to need, and then allowing it to expand when that limit has been reached and more are needed.
Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Dec 2011 23:16
thanks for all the feedback
at the moment, ia m using nextfreeobject() for the rain and snow and when they hit the ground, they teleport back to the top...
also, i am currently working on npcs and i am building an editor to design the maps and place objects seperatly so doors can activate, and you can make waypoints and dialouge for npcs...
Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Dec 2011 20:51
updated the first post with a new images showingg the GUI, NPC / AI and flooding / puddle system
Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 19:41
updated the first post with some info about the editor
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 20:02
This looks very interesting I'd like to know more about it, like what your goal is, why you're making it etc.

TheComet

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 11:10
I'm just making it because i really like the elder scrolls and i cant really find any of the same type of game...
My goal is to make an engine similar to FPS Creator, but for FPRPGs... Once it has been finished i will release it but im not sure whether to sell it... i suppose it depends how good it is
Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2012 03:14
Wow! this is awesome! I was just looking for an engine or mod for fpsc that would allow me o make games like Bethsuda's RPGs!

CumQuaT
AGK Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2012 03:32
This is totally rocking! Love it!

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 05:58 Edited at: 6th Jan 2012 05:59
So wait, this will let me re-create Skyrim, right? Looks good mate.

Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 06:30
A question, will this have things like mini map explore? Where when you go to certain areas the mini map turns from black to the mini map allowing you to discover new areas?
Also would it be able to be used to make not only medieval but other genre's of games? Like Post Apoc or others. Also I nice feature would be transportation, Fallout with in diere need of it, it was on of the things that took away from it, having to run across a massive map to find one quest item. A type or form of transportation would be a great feature, as I, and many who would use this engine, would not want to have the players bored from running.

Now done my feature rant

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Jan 2012 23:23
Just come back to this after a little break and to answer some questions:

@Cross Hair Games - It isn't an FPSC Mod, but it will have a similar editor. You could make any kind of RPG game with this, whatever the setting, as all of the media is customizable. In the future, i plan to implement gun support if you wanted to make a Fallout style game.

@FireIndy - Yes, the idea is that you can make Skyrim style games, although the graphics most likely wont be as fancy

@CumQuaT - Thanks for the feedback... I'm look forward to playing Malevolence

Matt
Cross Hair Games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 09:28
Yea I know it's not a mod, sorry I worded my reply wrong. So since there's no gun system yet would this still support bow and arrows?

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Jan 2012 11:20
Well at the moment, no, but i will release it with a gun system, so when it is released, there wont be any waiting to make fallout style games as they're pretty popular
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 07:23
Ok, I take it back. You do have enough experience. The new screenshots look great! AND it has an editor!

Good luck with this!

Clonkex

SpaceWurm
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 8th Feb 2012 08:52
This looks brilliant. What kind of experience do you have with 3d and development? I mean did you study at University or are you self taught?
If you do plan to sell it I would be more than happy to make a purchase.

Artrift.com - Digital Art Community | MyPixelbox.net - My Creative Blog
Clonkex
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 11:49
While it's highly likely that no one cares, I want to tell you about me. I am self-taught and I have a huge amount of experience with 3D graphics and development.

I know you weren't interested in me, but I couldn't help myself

Clonkex

Game Master1330
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 20:05
@landman thanks for the feedback i'm self taught... as for my experience i have made a few games before and bits and pieces in java so id say i'm intermediate

@clonkex lool

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:47:11
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:47:11