Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / 50% of all Android units run Gingerbread

Author
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 20:15
I thought all of you would be interested to know that now more than half of all the Android units out there runs 2.3 or better, most of them run 2.3.3.

In case you didn't know: AppGameKit requires 2.3 or better.

http://developer.android.com/resources/dashboard/platform-versions.html

RickV
TGC Development Director
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Dec 2011 23:13
Wow, that's amazing how fast 2.3 is taking over! I'm sure that number was 20% less a few months ago. Good news for AppGameKit!

Rick

Financial Director
TGC Team
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 00:01
Yeah, 2.1 and 2.2 used to rule the market. There's a lot of pressure from the Android customers for the latest version of the OS. More or less every phone with the hardware to use 2.3 have been upgraded.

We will probably see 4.0 take over even faster. SE have already announced that all their 2011 Xperia releases will be upgraded to 4.0 next year. Android is also outselling iPhone, 550.000 activations per day.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 00:04
We had hoped that 2.3+ would gain serious Market percentage, allowing us to focus on additional platforms and more juicy commands for you guys. Looks like the gambit is paying off.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 05:07
My telephone provider now has EVO 4G Shift available as a free upgrade. I believe it still comes with 2.2. Does anybody know if I would be able to upgrade the OS to 2.3 or higher?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 05:58
Flatlander... sorry... F l a t l a n d e r...
did you check your operators website¿
Most operators announce upgrades on their websites... but if its a new handset... I doubt there is an update already or else they would state the current version... usually...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 12:21 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 12:28
According to HTC 2.3.3 is available. Not sure how upgrading works, if it has to be through your carrier or if you can do it through HTC. I just got my first Android phone 3 weeks ago.

http://www.htc.com/us/products/shift-sprint/#tech-specs

Edit:
Just realized that that phone might only be available to Sprint. If that's your carrier then 2.3.3 should be available right now. But don't take my word for it. When in doubt, ask your retailer/carrier.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 12:28
Over the air upgrades are dependent on your carrier...

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 12:30
But HTC should have some software he can use right? Or would he need a carrier specific version of the OS?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 12:33 Edited at: 15th Dec 2011 12:35
HTC's upgrade path is for non contract/branded handsets ... That goes for every brand of phone...

So for example... as this is an international board I shall use STUBS
Carrier A has phone 1 from brand X
Carrier B has phone 1 from brand X
Brand X states the handset supports version 2.3.4

Carrier A releases version 2.3.3
Carrier B releases version 2.3.4

Simple really...

EDIT

By branded I mean the carrier not the manufacturer

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 13:02
OK, thanks for the info

But in this case the phone seems to be made for Sprint, so if that's his carrier then he should be fine I guess.

Oh, and it's not 2.3.3 exactly. The site only mentions 2.3. I just added the .3 cause that's the most common one so my mind made it 2.3.3

Flatlander
FPSC Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 18:46
Thanks all for the info. Since I'm retired and our daughter owns her own business she has a great business deal through Sprint. She just informed me of my being able to upgrade to a free EVO. Sprint advertises it as coming with 2.2. I'll have to contact her agent then to see if I can get an upgrade on the OS.

I really appreciate all the responses.

I've been experimenting with AppGameKit and can't wait to do something serious and then actually test it on an Android. My daughter and son-in-law have androids as well as one of my Grandson's but I'm not sure yet if they have 2.3 as they are older 'droids.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-29 10:57:28
Your offset time is: 2024-03-29 10:57:28