Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Map in game is not rendering properly

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 09:26 Edited at: 9th Dec 2011 01:37
Hi, I recently decided to start working on dark basic professional to create a game I have had on my mind for a while

I consider myself to be good in modelling 3D objects, but in Blender 3D (www.blender.org)

Well anyways the problem I am having is that when I load my level into blender, it creates huge gaps and some of the model is not visible
here is a picture:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg258/sazex/Instinctscreenshot.png

(yes the code on the left is all the code i have)

Can some one please help me with my dilemma?

Also if you have some tips for me that would be much appreciated as well

sazex
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 17:52
I've not tried blender and dbpro together yet, but id love to know what the issue is here because i do plan to do so. from a cursory glance it looks like your floors and walls are planes with faces, maybe that is the issue? adding thickness to the floor and walls and see what happens. i know i had problems with blender planes in udk that looked similar to this. how are you making the directx file? is it a blender plugin or are u converting with dbpro's tool? have you loaded the directx files in blender after conversion or tried importing them in blender after conversion? i wonder if something is lost in the conversion process somewhere .

~Napland Games~
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Dec 2011 18:06
Sorry... how is the title related? Confused me a lot...

29 games
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 00:19
It looks to me as if the normals of the ploygons are pointing in the wrong direction. When a model is exported from blender, the polygons can only be seen from one side.

You can test this theory out by placing the camera underneath the map object and pointing the camera at the underside of the floor. If some of the normals are pointing in the wrong direction then you should be able to see the polygons that are currently "missing".

Or you could use the SET OBJECT command and turn the cull flag to zero and you should see the ploygons that are currently hidden.

I'm using Blender 2.49b (before any one asks, I bought the Blender For Dummies book over a year ago and I'm still working through it so thought it best not to upgrade for the time being) but I'm going to guess (hope) that things aren't too different if your using a different version.

In edit mode you should be able to click a button called "Draw Normals" (in 2.49 this is located at the bottom right of the screen in the Mesh Tools More menu). You should see some little lines pointing out from the surface of the polygons. The visible side of the polygon (when in DBP) will be the side that the line is pointing out from. So, for an indoor map, all the normals should be pointing into the room.

To change the direction of a normal, select the polygon (face select is best for this) and then click a button named "Flip Normal" in the "Mesh Tools menu". Then then changes the direction of the polygon and should be visible when you view it in DBP.

Hope this helps.
Sazex
Years of Service
User Offline
@Naphier, yea im using the conversion tools in blender 2.6 "export to .x"
I'm not sure if its getting lost in the conversion process, as there is no "import .x" in blender 2.6 so I cannot check the model, and I did try to extrude the planes, but it did not work , but I will test that further by remodeling the entire map starting with a cube instead of a plane, I think it should work then, since I did make the rat with a cube and that worked well.

@MrValentine To answer your question I can not see the map I made in blender properly when i load it into Dark Basic Pro.

@29 Games I think you might be right, I did flip the normals, but that did not work, so I am going to see if I can get the normals to face inwards when I remodel the map, I'll edit my post when I am done

Thank you all for your help.

sazex
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 11:36
Did you not render lights onto the map before export? can you screenie it runnning in dbpro...

Sazex
Years of Service
User Offline
The lights are fine, the problem I am having is that there are holes in my mesh for the level
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg258/sazex/Instinctscreenshot.png

^ thats the picture

Anyways to anyone's concern, I recreated the map with a box instead of the cube, and it worked!
So thank you to everyone who helped me out

sazex
TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Dec 2011 23:42
Blender's X exporter + DBP hate each other, there can be very unexpected glitches. A quick google search gave me this thread : http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=166987&b=3

Maybe that helps?

TheComet

Sazex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 07:13 Edited at: 9th Dec 2011 01:36
Actually the .x exporter is fine, at least for me, I will look into the link if I see a problem, so thanks.

sazex
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 14:59
Glad to hear it worked Sazex. I had a lot of difficult experiences with Blender to UDK (skeletal meshes w. bones mainly) so I was worried about it with DBPro too.

Quote: "Anyways to anyone's concern, I recreated the map with a box instead of the cube, and it worked!
So thank you to everyone who helped me out "

Can you clarify the above? I thought you were going to use cubes to remake the map and you'd previously used planes. Sorry for the confusion, but I don't remember seeing a box object in Blender

Sazex
Years of Service
User Offline
OH sorry My mistake, I must have been really sleepy, I meant to say " I recreated the map starting with a cube instead of a plane, and THAT worked"

sorry for the mislead

sazex
Naphier
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 05:13
no worries, man. I just wanted to make sure for clarity and posterity.

Cheers!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 07:18:23
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 07:18:23