Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

FPS Creator X10 / Why was FPS marketed?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 05:26 Edited at: 5th Dec 2011 06:34
I got FPSx10 a awhile ago and tried my best to make it work, as time went by no matter how much I tried I keep running into error after error, .dll is missing, in game lag when it didn’t lag in test menu, AI running into walls, lifts locking up and so on. This is my point if you buy a product it should work no matter what!! Because I’m not a programmer I can’t fix a lot of in game problems and you will say well that’s what the forums are for, but from what I have read there is no real support!! Funny thing is if this had worked I would have been more than happy to part with more cash but as it stands that will ever happen because the product failed me and many others!!
Here are some questions to you all

1: Is this product a ready to go user friendly item? (No)
2: From start to finish did you in counter any error codes? (Yes, way to many!)
3: Was the forums helpful? (No)
4: Do you think this product was marketed as a simple drag and drop item? (Yes)
5: Do you think you need programming skills to make this product to work? (Yes very much so)
6: Was the money spend worth it? (No)

What do you think??
unfamillia
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 13:41
@ Carpetbomber

Before i start, please understand that I have had my (un)fair share of errors with this software.

Quote: "1: Is this product a ready to go user friendly item? (No)
"

I think this is user friendly. As long as you update to latest version.

Quote: "2: From start to finish did you in counter any error codes? (Yes, way to many!)
"

No arguments there

Quote: "3: Was the forums helpful? (No)
"

I don't agree with this at all. These forums are the nicest, friendliest, most helpful forums i have ever had the pleasure of being a part of. If you are nice to people here they return the kindness. I have (as mentioned earlier) run in to many problems, and most of them have been solved with the help of forum members.

Quote: "4: Do you think this product was marketed as a simple drag and drop item? (Yes)
"

This software can be as complex as you want it to be. But, then, that's what makes a game great. If you want to use it as a 'drag an drop' software, you can; but, if you want to get in to the heart of it and start creating something really unique, you can do.

Quote: "5: Do you think you need programming skills to make this product to work? (Yes very much so)
"

True, but, they are very easy to learn. Dark Basic is the most simple programming language i have ever seen! It is so similar to normal English, it's scary!

Quote: "6: Was the money spend worth it? (No)
"

I have asked myself that before and i always weigh up the situation and answer, "yes, yes it is".

If you want to make games to sell, this is the cheapest software you will ever buy, and with all the free media and CHEAP media packs available in the forums, you will save so much money.

Just my opinions though.

Unfamillia

Worf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 14:27 Edited at: 5th Dec 2011 14:29
I agree with this point:

Quote: "6: Was the money spend worth it? (No)"

Why? Well the simple reason is that there is no support for it at all nore are there any updates. Why on earth create an updated version from X9 to X10 then stop support for it and give support for an out dated version? It's like Adobe dropping support for CS5 and going back to CS4. (I don't get it)

I thought the point of progress was to make the software better, not go back to an out dated version. The other thing is, is that yes there are forums for scripts, media, but not all the scripts, media work in X10 as they are for X9.

What is needed here is a seperate X10 forum with it's own forum for scripts ect that work in X10.

I already know and use Mystic Mod, but it shouldn't be left to other people to give support for a piece of software, it should be the developers.

This is why i think X10 is a waste of money and they should really give it out for free with a serial if they are not going to support it and not make money on it while other people support and bring out updates\Mods.

Anyway, this is my view on X10 and yes, i do think it a a great piece of software.
Wolf
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 21:15
If you start indie game stuff...you need to know how things work and how to fix your software, I KNOW, FPSC is marketed with "no coding required" but ...lets face it...you dont make a game without writing some lines here and there folks.

Quote: "1: Is this product a ready to go user friendly item? (No)"

More than any other game creation tool...less than any videogame of course, this depends on your pov.
Quote: "
2: From start to finish did you in counter any error codes? (Yes, way to many!)"

I rarely get actual errors.
3: Was the forums helpful? (No)"

Could you refer me to threads? I always provided and found help on here.
4: Do you think this product was marketed as a simple drag and drop item? (Yes)"

Yeah, it was actually supposed to be just that. A tool for some kids and teens making games with the stock media and some custom boxes. At least I think (I dont know) TGC has never expected it to become what it is now.
5: Do you think you need programming skills to make this product to work? (Yes very much so)"

Not exactly...only some tweaking here and there. Look, there are a lot of people on the forum where the software works perfectly. Including me.
6: Was the money spend worth it? (No)"

That question is too suggestive to be brought up here.

However, I'm taling about X9...you should have it with your copy of X10. Use it instead, you get the same visual effects if you put some effort in it.

The right man with the wrong engine can make all the difference, doctor freeman...
Norion
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 21:37
@ Carpetbomber

Can you please post your system specs ?

also. Did you update FPSC X10 to the latest version.

Cheers.

N.

carpetbomber
Years of Service
User Offline
GTX 285,W7,4GB ram,Quad core,
carpetbomber
Years of Service
User Offline
Oh and don't tell me DX10.1 will help DX 11 should do the same thing DX10.1?? never here of it wish ppl would stop going on about DX10.1 it's would be the same as DX10 one would think but for the life of me I have never found it!
Le Shorte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Dec 2011 23:00
Quote: "3: Was the forums helpful? (No)"

This is the third thread you've started. Only one was asking a legitimate question. How can you base the entire forum off a thread with, what, two replies?

Cheesehead for life.
carpetbomber
Years of Service
User Offline
I've had to work it out myself and help with others (outside forums)and problems I've come cross others posting there problems and getting no real reply. I haven't played with software for sometime (give up after 3 months of trying)
and loaded back up again 2 days ago to try again lol went to test the frist level and it freezed up (WTF) rdy to go software (what ever!)
maho76
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 14:36
Quote: "I haven't played with software for sometime (give up after 3 months of trying)"

dont play around, this is not a game. its a development-tool to work with.

--------------------------

the one or another free engine: software with some errors and a need of 2-3 years until you can work with = free for noncommercial use.

any pro-engines: software (nearly) without errors and a need of 2-3 years until you can work with = 2000 - 20.000$ for commercial license.

fpsc x9/x10 by tgc: software with some errors and a need of 2-3 weeks until you can work with = 10-40$ for commercial license.

any questions? its easy: if you want it that cheap and easy, you have to invest a little time and work. time, money, work, these are the only parameters you can edit. choose one. tgc chooses to lower the money-par, thank you for this, lee. so you have to level up the other 2.
science boy
Years of Service
User Offline
carpet bomber go to microsoft website go to down loads and search 10.1sdk this is where you find it. it seems you are not up for reason just to vent, and lee bamber said the 10 wont work only the you know what will work, and as to x11 does not work unless you have also added you know what, so go find it download it and then after that you can moan on, but we are trying to help you right now but you are throwing it back at us,

be reasonable and we will help

an unquenchable thirst for knowledge of game creation!!!
srealist
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 17:33
Quote: "Oh and don't tell me DX10.1 will help DX 11 should do the same thing DX10.1?? never here of it wish ppl would stop going on about DX10.1 it's would be the same as DX10 one would think but for the life of me I have never found it!"

Hey CarpetBomber, you need 10.1 and that's a fact.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 12:00:43
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 12:00:43