Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Looking to Develop on All Platforms

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I was wondering if anyone has any real experience using AppGameKit to develop one app on all or most of the supported platforms at once. I know the developers claim its just as easy as switching an option, but are there any hiccups or special cases that anyone has encountered? Ideally I'd like to just have one code base to maintain for as many platforms as possible and this seems like a great product for it.

Thanks for any input.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 19:29
I develop for my iPod and PC at the same time and have no problems, im probably getting an android for christmas so then I will have a third device to develop on...
Impetus73
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 19:36
Developing for the PC and Android now, installing OS X in virtualbox so I can make ios stuff also. It's not easy, need to set up developer accounts for all platforms, and deal with different SDK's to make the final files for uploading to the app stores. Android market seems dead, I'll guess the best is to aim for blackberry when they support it, since the app market there is smaller and less competetive.

----------------
AGK user - novice
Did Amiga / AMOS programming in the 90's, just started programming again with AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
AGK-wise there is nothing to change when it comes to cross-platforms. The problems arise with the various developer tools that are unique to every platform. This is not AGK's fault though. If you develop with any other sdk you still have to do the same dirty work.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 21:27
I have published tier 1 windows, Android and iOS apps and they were a right ball ache!

Windows was easy as pie.
Android needed all kinds of software tools to work, and took ages to figure it all out. Once I'd done the first app though, the rest was very easy!
iOS was even worse! All the instructions were for xcode 3, and that didn't work with the borrowed mac. Plus, macs are awful, hateful machines and should be destroyed!

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
DennisW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 21:35
There There Mobiius don't hold back tell us what you think of Mac

LOL

Dennis

Ham and Eggs Breakfast
The Chicken was involved the Pig was Committed
JavierTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Dec 2011 21:53 Edited at: 6th Dec 2011 21:59
LOL.Mobiius you are great but please don't destroy my IPad!!

I want to point out that the following refers to IOs and T2.

Quote: ""I know the developers claim its just as easy as switching an option""

I think some of those programmers are too optimistic…

I use XCode and I have a developer account, and I can assure you that this is not true. Well ... more or less. Although it depends on the type of application you want to develop.

Maybe in Tier 1 is so simple, but if you want to develop consistent native applications, it is not so easy.

For example, even using XCode on a Mac, the difference between running your program in the simulator and the device is tremendous. (loss of transparency of png's, speed of sprites, etc, etc.) And involves an important 'postproduction'. Surprisingly the applications run better on the iPad than in the simulator.

And if you use native libraries for example, the issue is simply impossible.

Also, being realistic (talking about Mac), At the end of way it should be compiled into XCode.

Another issue are the 'dead apps'. But that's a discussion in which I dont want to go.

Still, I can assure you that working in Tier 2 AppGameKit is an excellent tool whatever path you choose .

Regards.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 13:34
TGC are still looking at the possibility of publishing for us. We write in AppGameKit Basic and they publish to whatever stores they think it will sell on and do the dirty work for us.

A number of developers are 'test piloting' this with TGC at the moment (Rick posted a request for applicants a while back) so we'll have to wait and see how that goes I guess.

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Dec 2011 16:33
Quote: "Maybe in Tier 1 is so simple"

It isn't. You still need to compile the tier 2 c++/xcode files. Only the actual game doesn't need to be recompiled.

However saying that, once you get one app working, the rest are unbelievably easy to do! It's the 1st, learning app which is the dog!

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 01:04
Hi Guys, I hope the strap-line 'AGK T2 is a real ball ache' does not get momentum I agree it's quite a few steps to get your self-publishing system up and compiling, but I hope our step by step guides and videos help this process as much as possible. If you feel any of our guides are not detailed enough, or you want more videos showing how to set-up on a specific platform please do tell us so we can get to work. We have been using each platform long enough to know almost instinctively how to compile on each, and to us it's all very easy, but we certainly understand what it might look like from the outside looking in. Alas we cannot change the development process of each platform (as much as I we would like) but we can certain attempt to take the time-killing guesswork out of the whole ordeal. If we could write a script to take control of your computer and do the work for you, we would, but I don't think such a tool has been invented that can do this. The bottom line is that for self-publishing, you get all the dosh, but you also get a little dirty in the process

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Android was a real hassle to set up. It's not AGK's fault.
Once you gain the know how, it's just a matter of pressing RUN!!!!
JavierTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 20:03 Edited at: 8th Dec 2011 20:04
About my message, let me clarify that I mean the problems of the Xcode IOs Simulator included in the package of Mac. The loss of transparency due to png graphics problems between the Mac and the device, as well as speed. And the use of third-party library is a problem outside AppGameKit, logically.

The dead apps are those applications like 'Hello world' that have no practical use or are so simple and have guaranteed portability.

So I wanted to emphasize that the problems changing between platforms do not have to come from AppGameKit but subsequent work required to adjust the application by the needs of every platform. AppGameKit I think does a good job there, and is not obligated to anymore, but the rest is up to us.

So, to change only one option is very optimistic...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 20:39 Edited at: 8th Dec 2011 20:40
What problems you have with png transparency? my 2 game projects are running on windows, ios and android without any changes to media or code.

I'm not using the ios simulator myself, it's way too slow.
JavierTF
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Dec 2011 21:07 Edited at: 8th Dec 2011 21:10
I created the sprites and were perfectly displayed in the simulator, the display of graphics in XCode, the icons of the folders, etc.. But in the IPad lost transparency. Not all of them. They looked well everywhere but in the device!

At the end I found that to look good on the iPad have to increase the contrast and use ColorSync to adjust the 'black point' (!). I do not understand it because in theory the color 0, 0, 0, black, has no contrast, but anyway ...

But everything has its positive side. Trying to find a solution I found one of the best tools to handle png's. ImageOptim for Mac Reduces up to 70% the size of the png's without losing attributes! And it's free. Recommended.

Every cloud has a silver lining. LOL
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am currently using the PNGout tool for Windows, it shrinks all png by at least 20%

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-05 21:59:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-05 21:59:45