Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / MSR Sniper Rifle (Extremely detailed)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 18:48
So this may be the most detailed gun i have ever created, it's the MSR sniper rifle.
Made in Blender 2.6 (I FINALLY MADE THE SWITCH!)
Precisely 7,166 Polygons No reduction has been done yet.

WIP 1

WIP 2

WIP 3

Complete

Complete angle 2

Wireframe

Please tell me what you think, constructive criticism is always welcome.

http://awolthehunted.blogspot.com/
For the latest news on my FPS in development, check out my blog!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 18:59
That thing looks sweet! Maybe you used a little to may polies in some places
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 19:20 Edited at: 10th Dec 2011 23:23
I know haha, I do need to do some merging, I haven't bothered with it yet because i want to maintain a good poly flow.

EDIT:
TEXTURED!

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 10th Dec 2011 23:52
Can I say...SICK WORK MAN

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 00:05
Thank you! Took me about 2 hours to complete and around 10 minutes to UV Map it, I just used my reference image to texture it.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 00:23
that wireframe makes me want to kill A PONY...

but it LOOKS good mesh wise! can we see the UVlayout aswell?

looks great

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 00:38 Edited at: 11th Dec 2011 00:39
Quote: "can we see the UVlayout aswell?"

I Suppose, but i'll make a fresh Smart UV Layout because to texture this, i used Blender's 'Project from view' and used
THIS

To do the texture.

Attachments

Zwarte Piet
Years of Service
User Offline
Pretty, Very Pretty, I Really like the polycarbonate style texture on the foregrip.

"I would rather make a bad model, instead of pirate a great one" MY DAD "Now let's Make some Models" me "If you don't make it don't post it"
Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 01:15
kind of figured you just used a plain picture, thats quite bad usually, as i suppose you do have quite a stretching on top and on bottom of the gun? aswell as front and back

at any rate it looks nice^^

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 02:55
True, but i didn't think the stretching was too bad, My only complaint is that there are some artifacts on the other side of the gun that mirrored over, i may need to build a texture ground-up if i ever plan on using it in-game (with lots of decimation)

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 20:18 Edited at: 11th Dec 2011 20:21
there are a lot of wasted polies that just aernt needed in there, i'd strongly recommend reducing it a great deal, you could save hundreds if not thousands of tri's by simply using tri's to reduce the number of complete loops you have in there. also there are several details there that should have been baked into a normal map, and a lot of the edges are too sharp, especially for this particular rifle I'd say you should try reducing the areas that shouldn't be quite so dense and add some polies to areas that need it, there are several details that are incorrect or have been left out completely, and definately build the texture from the ground up, just grabbing it from a photo is very bad practice.

Otherwise keep at it, its a good start, but take several steps back and rework the geometry.

EDIT
just noticed you've mentioned that you are planning on reducing it anyway, but if thats the case why are you worrying about textures at this stage

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Dec 2011 20:52 Edited at: 11th Dec 2011 20:54
Quote: "but if thats the case why are you worrying about textures at this stage "

I wanted to see how it would turn out with a texture mapped to it.

When i posted this, i didn't do any reduction at all, i just left it as-is, also, the wireframe is at an angle, some on the double lines your seeing there are from the other side, i'll try and see if i can get a better wireframe.

Quote: "there are several details that are incorrect or have been left out completely"

Incorrect? Could you list some please?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
The model looks ace! I am dying to see the back finished. C'mon, give it a go.

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 01:45 Edited at: 12th Dec 2011 01:47
The handle on your model comes to a horizontal line, however if you look at the acctual gun it meets the body of the gun with a 45 degree angle which is flush to the piece that you seam to have given a rather large over hang.

The scope isn't a straight cylinder, the adjustors are mounted on a semi sperical shape.

The handle is far too square, just think how uncomfortable it would be to hold.

the bolt is (in the reference) at a straight 45 degree angle however you've given it a curve.

the butt of the gun seams slightly too small, however that could just be the perspective in the shot.

here's a image highlighting some of those points if that was unclear. Hope this helped and didnt come across as insulting, as i said before its a good start.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Dec 2011 03:31
No offence taken ^_^ Like i said, constructive criticism is welcome! The reason why some of these turned out the way they did is because i had to work at different angles, but only had one angle, and also, if you aren't looking at the model directly on from a specific angle, the reference will disappear. I didn't realize about the one with the handle, but it can be easily fixed. I don't think the stock is too small, it matches up exactly to the reference when compared. I may repost another addressing the issues you listed, Thanks for telling me.

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 04:55
Quote: " if you aren't looking at the model directly on from a specific angle, the reference will disappear"

are you setting it as a background image? If you texture it to a plane you can keep it in view from different angles.

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 04:59
Quote: "are you setting it as a background image?"

Yes, i was, but i don't think using a plane would do much good either because when i go in to wireframe, the plane goes to, rendering me unable to see the reference.

3Bit
Years of Service
User Offline
Looks sort of real, good job.

3Bit
lazerus
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 11:58 Edited at: 13th Dec 2011 12:01
Well it looks like a half done high-poly prep.

Add a few more support loops in a around areas and you will be able to turbo-smooth without loosing any detail to shape or form. From that, load up this version again without TS, and optimize the crap out of it. Your looking for about 40%, 60% or 80% reduction in polycount from highpoly depending on its use. 40% should be a good mark for you to aim for. After you have both highpoly and lowpoly you can simply bake down the normals to give the detail of HP to LP.

You use blender correct? Here's a baking tutorial for it;
Eat 3D

Another option is to use
Xnormal

Heres a overview of its functions.

I've been out of the loop here a while, caught up in a ton of work at uni so one of the rare Tlc times. So sorry if you know all this already

Attachments

Mazz426
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 16:45
I'd say that for a first person rifle you'd be aiming for something around 7,000 tri's, of course this all depends on your engine of choice, and older engine would probably prefer something around 6k and a modern one would be able to cope with mabey 10k for something that would be as present as a gun in the players face.

It all depends on how you build the high poly how much reduction is needed.

Also surely using orthographic veiws ie splitting your viewing area into 4 angles, side, top, fonr and perspective would allow you to work with the reference without it disappearing when you adjust the camera as your key angles are locked.

Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Dec 2011 16:59
I like it. But I have to agree that some parts are crazily over-poly. For example, the notched areas on all 4 sides of the body, you've made them part of the whole gun, however that is really inflating your polygon usage. If you made those seperate, the vertexes wouldn't have to extend all the way around. A large flat area like that is best kept as low poly, then detail like the 4 rails don't cost as much polygons.

This stuff is also a factor when texturing, the more vertices you have, the more things that can go wrong, the longer it takes to UV map etc.

It is a superb looking gun, I think we're trying to offer advice for your next weapon.

Health, Ammo, and bacon and eggs!
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 00:34 Edited at: 14th Dec 2011 00:38
Quote: "you've made them part of the whole gun"

Well, not exactly, you see, I made the top rail a part of the gun, but simple copied the top rail to all of the other sides.
I really do appreciate all of the comments and advice, i will keep it in mind when designing the next weapon.

Quote: "of course this all depends on your engine of choice"

If i ever use this in-game, Unity 3D would definitely be the engine that i would use, it's the engine i'm using to develop my current project. (See signature)
Quote: "
After you have both highpoly and lowpoly you can simply bake down the normals to give the detail of HP to LP. "

I already know this Thanks for the advice anyways!

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 02:32
Quote: "when i go in to wireframe, the plane goes to"

Well, you can make specific objects wireframe under the object properties for that object while leaving the 3d viewport settings as solid or textured or whatever.

properties menu -> object tab -> display section -> 'type' drop down box set to wire

image attached.

Attachments

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 03:21 Edited at: 14th Dec 2011 04:07
Yeah, i could do that, Even though it would be a pain with multiple references.

EDIT
So i did some improvements, mainly the ones Mazz mentioned
Now the poly count is 5,725

Attachments

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 03:57
err... you wouldn't set the references to anything, just the model, you'd only need to set the one object to wire

Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 22:59
Quote: "err... you wouldn't set the references to anything, just the model, you'd only need to set the one object to wire"

I meant that if i was going to refer to any other image, it would be a pain to change, since i would be using a plane.

Chazene
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 23:19
any download yet i cant wait to see this in action

Charlie "Chuckles" "Chazene"
Travis Gatlin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Dec 2011 01:53
I posted the .blend file if you want it, You can do what you want with it, as long as you give me credit, and you don't use it in a game.

Attachments

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-20 04:22:54
Your offset time is: 2024-04-20 04:22:54