Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / point & click adventure, where to start?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 09:06
I wish to make a point and click adventure game similar to that of broken sword or Gabriel Knight but i have no idea where to start or even how to go about it since all of the programming i've ever done with dark basic pro has been 3d based and as yet have never worked with 2d or sprites. Any suggestions? or if someone could point me to a similar thread i'd appreciate it, i've been trawling through the forums for hours trying to find something on the subject but it appears that 36 hours without sleep makes that awkward and i've not managed to find anything.

I appreciate any suggestions
Thank you

I can see from your smile, you're not here for the sunset

Windows 7 64 bit, AMD Phenom II x4 Black edition, 4 GB Ram, Radeon HD 4650, 2.5 TB HDD
Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 10:38
Quote: "i have no idea where to start or even how to go about it since all of the programming i've ever done with dark basic pro has been 3d based"

I imagine that the basic structure of the game would be similar if not the same in 2D compared to 3D. You'll just need to brush up on your 2D knowledge.

Maybe it would be best to prototype the first level or a level while you come to grips with DBP's 2D commands. It doesn't have to be complicated and the level can be as simple as dragging a bucket to a well and then taking the full bucket to a garden and watering the plants. This should give you some foresight into your project and get you on the right path.

Quote: "but it appears that 36 hours without sleep makes that awkward and i've not managed to find anything."

I'd recommend getting a good nights sleep first.

TheComet
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 10:40
Point and click adventures don't have to be 2D, but if you want to learn how to detect where the mouse is on the screen and what it should trigger, you can check out TDK's menu tutorial here:

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=106004&b=10&p=0

Specifically look at the hidden layer method, as that is the most common way point and click games work.

I also suggest pre-rendering your scenes, and then add the hidden layer afterwards. This way you aren't working with 3D at all, just a bunch of screen-shots that you display.

TheComet

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 13:34
Aaaah Broken Sword... I have one and two and three... 2 is still my fav due to the port demo lol...

I too think of making such a game... I will keep my eyes on here

zenassem
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Dec 2011 15:12 Edited at: 14th Dec 2011 15:41
I know I'm probably jumping way, way, ahead.
You should explore some simple 1 or limited-multiple screen concept demos, to learn the basics of what will be required in your Point-And-Click Adventure. For that, break the complex scope of the project down to manageable components. Then tackle each of the concepts separaterly and then try stringing them together. i.e. Mouse Control, Basic 2D, Bounding Rectangles, Inventory System and Managment, Map System, Screen Coordinate System, Sprites, Scripting, Logic Routines/Action handlers, Text Output Handling.

Then break those topics down to even smaller concepts,, ie. Arrays (Multi-dimensional, dynamic), Capturing Keyboard/Mouse input, Logic Flow Control Switch-Case statements, Sprites Collision (under mouse+click) etc...,, dependent on your current skill level and experience with DBpro.

But after that work is done.....

I'd suggest working with a dev-suite aimed specifically at Adventure Game creation such as the Wintermute Engine Development Kit (License: Free for Hobby as well as Commercial Development).
[Some people prefer AGS (Adventure Game Studio), perhaps becuase it's been around longer, but I think Wintermute has more to offer.]

The reason being....

Use it as a reference-source, and learn the pipeline/tool-chain that are essential to ease the process of developing a graphical-adventure game, and how Adventure Creation Software functions. I say "Adventure Creation Software" because that's essentially direction you are headed.

If you are going to code a Point-And-Click Adventure Game, you probably don't want to hard-code it for a single adventure. You don't want one specific game's logic to be bound or too deeply nested in the core of your Engine. Rather, you'd want to set up a flexible Engine that would allow you to create multiple adventures utilizing the same code/"work put in".

To me it's similar to this scenario...
You creating a novel from scratch, including the computer software to edit/type the text. Would you code an editor that could only handle the text for one single novel... or, would you design an editor/word processor that could handle many forms of text, thus allowing you to type many novels or perhaps a short story, possibly even a letter?

You will be creating all the aspects of an engine regardless, but choosing a flexible design from the beginning has much more rewards. Both require the same principles and generally much of the same code. But, if you build a dev-toolset/it/Engine, the work put in will actually help you to finish your game faster, help keep it organized and under control. Some form of scripting, beit your own design, or a plugin is essential IMHO.

=========================

Just remember your time is limited an valuable. While at first glance it may seem easier to hard-code a single game of this type, at a certain point (Usually the point where your waist-deep in code and abandoning/rewriting would be in contrast to your mental well-being), It becomes evident that an Engine w/ Scripting capability is the only sane route to take.

The other option is feasable if the adventure is short and extremely limited in depth and scope, or a programmer who wnjoys self-inflicted torture.

Ok so perhaps I'm being over-dramatic. But I stand by my recommendation. My second recommendation (unless you really want to learn what goes into programming an Adventure Creation Engine), If your main goal is to create this Adventure Game I'd probably utilize something like Wintermute or AGS and not spend the time reinventing the wheel).

Best Regards!!!

~ZENassem

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-20 04:20:45
Your offset time is: 2024-05-20 04:20:45