Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

3 Dimensional Chat / Cloth Simulation For School Project, need help and tips! (3ds max)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 04:23
my god this title seems nooby

ANYWAY

We got this school project going on, and me and my friend is making this character and we are planning on using a cloth simulation (its not a game so polycount isnt a problem other than computer power)

Anyway: we got this character and I want these two parts to stay where they are during simulation and the rest should react like cloth (although quite strong)
How should i go about this? also, is there any 3ds max plugins i could use?

Is Maya "better"? more power friendly or such?

<if more information on the issue is needed just ask, and ill provide more information>

clock is 04:18 over here so iam super tired and none of this might make sense lol

oh, currently iam just messing around with the normal cloth modifyer

The result of origin.. Oh and ponies
JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Dec 2011 13:00
In TS you can add fixation points, see if your cloth function has something similar.

Since your using 3dsMax, most operations allow you to go into poly edit, select the polys you want effected and apply it(in theory).

Not sure what kin dof cloth simulation Max has, I'd check the documentation on it.

Good luck.

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 02:00 Edited at: 18th Dec 2011 02:01
The cloth modifier in Max used to be a commercial plug in, so its not really normal as you put it, I kind of expect at £1600 for the software you dont really expect anything less. There are stand alone cloth animators but its simply physics simulation which means they all do the same job.

To answer your question:
Apply cloth modifier to objects (cloth and collision objects) open the modifier stack and create a group from the verts you want to attach and select 'surface', then select object to attach to and your done.

This is a demo I did for cloth sim some time ago. Its pretty old now but shows it in use.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 02:13
Quote: "I kind of expect at £1600 for the software you dont really expect anything less."

I am using the student verson

but maybe you werent pointing at what verson i use, but merely that the software SHOULD be good considering the price...

Ill try what you said, thanks for answering! And great reel btw!

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
I have been in a few college's where the CAD department had a copy of 3dsMax and no one who had a clue how to use it. I am assuming your school is the same if no one there can help with this project.
Personally I feel that all schools are a little outdated and need to include digital media in the curriculum, but thats just my opinion.
I dont normally answer Max quetions around here but sometimes happy to point in right direction

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 02:38
naw we use blender, I am not confortable<hate that word> with it, so my teachers helped me get 3ds max student verson.

And no, they have no clue about how it works, iam actualyl rather weirded out about why we get to learn BLENDER (nothing wrong with it though) over 3ds Max which is INDUSTRY STANDARD <---

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Many pro movies and games teams use blender, its really a question of what you want to achieve, mostly Max is industry standard because of the many functions and features that most wont use or they dont need the pipeline offered by one stop software.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 03:11
yes yes, like i said blender is fine, i am just thinking that a SCHOOL should teach the industry standard

Ortu
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 21:37
Quote: " iam actualyl rather weirded out about why we get to learn BLENDER (nothing wrong with it though) over 3ds Max which is INDUSTRY STANDARD <---

"

it's likely because blender is free and school funding/budgets are tight.

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Dec 2011 21:53 Edited at: 18th Dec 2011 21:53
Quote: "it's likely because blender is free and school funding/budgets are tight."

3ds max is free aswell, for educational purposes..

edit: aswell as maya and a lot more autodesk softwares

rolfy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 00:19 Edited at: 19th Dec 2011 00:27
Hers how it works, I dont know if your refering to secondary or further education.
University, college and polytechnics all handle industry standard education, it is not the purpose of standard schools to teach a broad range of work skills to students, they are to prepare you to move on to vocational studies at a higher level whether in the workplace or at college whatever.
By your reckoning they would have to be teaching welding, plumbing, electrical engineering and all that other stuff as well.
If you look at the higher education system particularly Art Schools you will find that they teach 3d software at the level your looking for with tutors who are competent in their field, you wont find these in general education.

Quote: "3ds max is free aswell, for educational purposes.."

yes...but learning to use it is not. How much does a degree level cost...there are specific courses usually available for a hefty fee which are paid for usually by business wanting to get their employees up to date with the software.

So as you say you have the software...but you dont have a tutor..is that the fault of your school?
You need to broaden your perception and realise you walk before you run.

JLMoondog
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 01:31
Quote: "How much does a degree level cost...there are specific courses usually available for a hefty fee which are paid for usually by business wanting to get their employees up to date with the software."

Full Sail(where I studied) 7 years ago was $15k for one year of accelerated learning. Basically it means eight hours a day, five days a week, no breaks. That was for the CGI degree and a copy of the latest version of Maya. The gaming degree was another $4k, but that got you an Alienware laptop and a copy of the latest 3ds max.

Unfortunately I learned absolutely nothing...

Quik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Dec 2011 04:58
in sweden its "free" (taxes pays that) up until you go to universities and the like

at any rate: Thanks rolfy, the surfice thing worked

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:36:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:36:30