Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Kart Physics?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Dec 2011 21:24
Okay, so I'm working on a 3D racing game that is basically Mario Kart mixed with Burnout Paradise (Using custom characters instead of presets). I have the basic karts made and the character base made and rigged to correspond with the carts, but now I need to get those darn karts moving! I was thinking about using PhysX (Not DarkPhysics - PhysX is easy enough to integrate on my own), but I want to consider all of my options first. (Don't you DARE say "Sparky's Physics"!)

Tunnel vision yet? Have a carrot!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 25th Dec 2011 02:42
Interesting... are you using the new 3.0 set?

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Dec 2011 12:37 Edited at: 25th Dec 2011 12:38
PhysX vehicle simulation is not good as far as i know, Havok seems to be better for that
you can check the WIP/program announcements boards, there are a couple of wrappers there

JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
SuperTuxKart appears to be using bullet physics. I'm pretty sure there's some helper wrappers here in the forums for that as well.

JTK
Mister Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2012 18:37
Bullet physics? Hmmm.... I guess that would work, but I also want to eventually port the game to other consoles, and I need something that doesn't require external software/hardware. That's why I'm kinda leaning towards PhysX (it works REALLY well on XBox 360).

Quote: "Interesting... are you using the new 3.0 set?"
The what?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Jan 2012 21:51
PhysX api 3.0+

Mister Fuzzy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 00:33 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2012 00:39
Oh! No, I have 2.8.4. I guess I need to update

Quote: "PhysX vehicle simulation is not good as far as i know"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSsJ_BeYhEU
This looks good enough to me...

Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 13:36
i heard a couple of people complaining about how slow it is for a racing game, also, keep in mind that Havok is platform independent too
pick whatever is easier for you, although i think Havok might be better at vehicles, i found that Havok documentation and examples are very frustrating, since PhysX is made by nVidia i suppose it's well-documented and coded just like the rest of their software, so i would go with it if you are fine with the simulation and the vehicle speed, which is the only "bad" thing i know about it

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 14:26
PhysX 3 is a complete rewrite and therefore it is not straight forward to update from 2.8.4

One of the main differences is the vehicles, PhysX 3 vehicles are now completely different. Some people have complained as the SDK now provides a comprehensive set of commands to set up a 4 wheeled vehicle but not much else. They say they will be addressing this in a later release.

I have attached a demo from PhysX 2.8.4 via my Dark DynamiX plugin, it shows what you can do with vehicles. I must add that I since made this demo a lot better but can't find it , I had the vehicle so it does not flip and bounce around as much.

RAGDOLL

VEHICLE

On another note, I am changing Dark DynamiX so it provides all features but with a 5 minute time limit. I think that will help people evaluate it better to see if it suits their needs.

Update should be tonight or tomorrow.

One final thing, you can get good vehicles with PhysX and bad vehicles with bullet/havok etc or the other way around, it is mostly down to the knowledge and experience of the user. Getting the handling you need is always a huge challenge whatever SDK you use.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 14:51
my only issue with DP is that I want to setup motorbike type vehicles... but it seems I may never get around to it... so how about floating vehicles? any ideas guys? maybe character controllers?

ahh yeah I read that 3.0 is a whole new beast...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 15:29
You can do moterbikes with Dark DynamiX but setting them up is the easy part. Getting them to not fall over is the tricky part.

Floating vehicles should not be too hard I would think. Just a dynmic hull floating in low gravity with an upward force applied if it falls toward the track.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 15:30
Interesting... can not wait to give it a go...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 22:45:32
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 22:45:32