Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Text Input Box

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everyone, Im making an app for the idevices which will work along side some software I have written in delphi. The link is through an SQL database which is written to and read from by both pieces of software. I have a couple of questions as the app may become a standalone program which uses no networking.

1) Is there or will there be any support for SQL in AppGameKit?

2) How do I create a text input box, much like you would get when inputting a contact (forename/surname/number ect) and then position/scale/style it?

A

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
1) There will be some new http commands in version 107 which is coming out in February.
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
This feels like a wrong tool for type of question right now.

agk has very limited text input capabilities ... read painfully poor ...

I would suggest doing this sort of app in code... its just not something that would be easy in agk

Westa
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats exactly what I've been thinking. But the only alternative I can see is paying the subscription for apple to get their engine, something I dont have the cash for right now. If I can whip something up in some free software and show my employer I may be given the money to complete the app at a later point.

Is there anything which allows me to develop for the Idevices while still being free?

Thanks!

A

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 08:17
Quote: "Is there anything which allows me to develop for the Idevices while still being free?"

Apple? Free? You're having a laugh! lol

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
How can you show a prototype to your employer if you are not a registered Apple dev. you can download Xcode and the iOS SDK for free, but you can't create an IPA file to put on an IOS device without the dev keys.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 11:43
AGK is made for games. With some luck there are better text input capabilities in 107, or rather working basics. I must say that there's nothing stopping you from doing a simple contact input app at the moment. Everything is there, just the text input is a bit simplified. But after the user have written something you can do whatever you want with the text.

With HTML commands you should be able to connect to a web server and for example use PHP to access a SQL databse.

A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Apple? Free? You're having a laugh! lol"

The one reason I really hate apple! I honestly do my best to give away as much as I can to spite people like apple!

Quote: "How can you show a prototype to your employer if you are not a registered Apple dev. you can download Xcode and the iOS SDK for free, but you can't create an IPA file to put on an IOS device without the dev keys."

AGK would allow me to have a preview running on my Idevice. If only the commands I needed were all there.

Quote: "With HTML commands you should be able to connect to a web server and for example use PHP to access a SQL databse."

I suppose a html/php solution is possible, I have just never done anything like this in those languages so I'm not sure how I could do it (I'm an internet novice! Everything I have done so far is in Delphi, DBPro, Pascal and C++!).

A

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "AGK would allow me to have a preview running on my Idevice. If only the commands I needed were all there."

How, without being a paid up apple dev?!
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
If you buy AppGameKit you are able to broadcast it to any device which is running AppGameKit viewer. The AppGameKit license is costly though, and I dont think is worth it just yet!

A

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 15:16
@Arenas - Nice to have another Delphi programmer in the forum. I'm hoping we can have a Delphi interface before too long.

If you're application is more business etc than game, have you looked at Delphi XE2 FireMonkey? That will give you full cross-platform SQL etc, as well as OpenGL interfaces for animations etc.

-- Jim
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Arenas, if you quit the AppGameKit player, the game will quit too, so I don't think it's that convenient.

I think the price for AppGameKit is quite fair. The command set is not the best when compared to other sdks, but for fun programming and simple game developing I am very happy with AppGameKit and the price tag.
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 15:40
You could always create your own text input routines...

I know I keep going on about my UI routines, (because I'm very very proud of them!) but I can use my UI code to create a menu of buttons arranged like a keyboard, and when you click on one, add it to a text string. My UI code already has what I call 'Live Variables' where if I were to enter something like %FPS, or %ScreenHeight it would display the frames per second or the devices height.

What I'll now be doing when I implement this ( ) is to add a Global text input string so you can use this method then display it with a live variable. Much better and more flexible than the current method.

(Perhaps I'd consider selling my UI routines once it's matured a bit more??? Hmmmm )

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@JimHawkins

Right back at you! Wow, I've been in the dark on Delphi 2009 and not realised this cross platform compatible version! Is the XE2 backwards compatible? The program I am writing in Delphi 2009 is currently using record file structures and I want to move that to an SQL database (then network it). If XE2 can do that then I'll use that over 2009 as I will then also be able to create an app as well!

Thanks

A

JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 16:30 Edited at: 29th Dec 2011 16:31
@Arenas

I'll send you a private mail; don't want to be seen to post competition with AppGameKit!

However, simple example:

http://www.andreanolanusse.com/en/video-delphi-xe2-and-firemonkey-app-on-windows-mac-and-ios/

Delphi FireMonkey makes Visual Studio look like working on a Spectrum with half its RAM removed!

-- Jim
A r e n a s
Years of Service
User Offline
@JimHawkins

Pretty extreme analogy there, but I'll have to see if its true with inspection myself! We can talk about this over email then rather than having this thread spammed.

In regards to my original question, I have gotten an alternative answer it would seem so could mods lock this thread? (Unless anyone has anything else to add).

Thanks

A

Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 18:24
A r e n a s:
BTW, I meant HTTP commands, not HTML. With your programming experience PHP wouldn't be hard to learn at all. And you wouldn't need to learn much to have your app and database working together. If you use PHP you will also not have a problem making a website that also can access the database.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
You can learn the basics of PHP in 2 days of experimenting if you have standard c++ and html knowledge.
sparkart
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought that there was a virtual keyboard available.
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
No virtual keyboards at this stage - the native keyboard for each platform is currently used - you could however roll your own which is not impossible to achieve.

Westa
sparkart
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes, the native keyboard is what I was talking about. Is that not a virtual keyboard?
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 17:04
The native keyboards work but you are unable to change it's orientation and alter the text input area. It's barely at a bare minimum at the moment.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:33
@all : We are looking to extend the text entry functionality for 107 as we agree the current system leaves something to be desired.

bjadams : What commands are you missing in AppGameKit compared to other SDKs? We are concious not to add a thousand commands overnight, but we are curious if there are key functionalities we have completely missed.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Lee, if I had to request only 1 thing that would make a lot of project ideas POSSIBLE with AppGameKit would be image draw/grab commands!

With all these dual and quad core cpus on phones and super tegra3 graphics chipsets, will fps really slow down that much with these commands?

Right now I cannot even make a simple finger colouring book app, without using 1 million sprites!!!!
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 23:13
I also have an idea for a simple draw based app for tablets and would love to be able to paste images/sprites onto another image.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-26 22:35:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-26 22:35:12