Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / I have a good idea how to protect game ASSETS

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
... I just don't know if it's possible with AppGameKit T2 right now!

1. I will make a little tool to read all graphics and sound files, and write them to 1 big file, maybe with some simple XOR encryption. The tool will write out a text file with every file start position in the big file and it's length. this is very doable with the current AppGameKit command set.

2. Reading back the files in the game should be no problem. The problem I am facing is that I do not want to write TEMP files and then read them back with LOADIMAGE. I want to get the files in MEMORY and then point LOADIMAGE to MEMORY. Is this possible in AppGameKit T2?
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 11:57
This is not possible as AppGameKit T1 will only load media from the application folder as a local file. With T2, it is perfectly possible to write some generic C++ to load your encrypted media file into memory, decrypt it, save that file out as a temp file, load it, then delete the temp file quickly. Not flawless security, but pretty hard to hack for the casual hacker.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
anwserman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:07 Edited at: 6th Jan 2012 12:09
Wouldn't Smart Packer Pro work for this...? (for Windows versions of an application?)

Hi there. My name is Dug. I have just met you, and I love you.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:36
I have not tried it with an AppGameKit app. I tried it with a rather complex FPSC game executable and media, which worked a treat, so there is no reason why it should not work with AppGameKit under Windows. I think we will need something automated and universal at some point, perhaps when we have added the key features currently sought by AppGameKit users (monetisation, networking, better text entry, e.t.c).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:46
This would be good news as currently any Tier 1 development requires a certain amount of risk at the moment. Not as vital as some other issues but...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I am mostly interested in protecting iOS ipa files using this method.

However writing and reloading temp file is not a good option.

I want some kind of memblock option, that once I load part of the data file in memory (memblock), I can use some kind of command like Load Image From Memblock
fallen one
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Jan 2012 09:21
This is something I wanted for a game that ran on multiple systems, I wanted to protect all the art files, I am surprised there is not a lot of call for this.

mrniceguy
Years of Service
User Offline
Smart Packer Pro should work fine with AppGameKit (Windows).

Smart Packer Pro - Distribute games and applications
V-Packer for Games - Compress your game files into one executable
Flash Packer - Pack your Flash movies
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
There are many different packer solutions for Windows. We know that.

There are no alternatives for Mac and iOS.

My idea would work fine on all platforms if we have some sort of memblock commands ala DarkBasic.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 07:37:30
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 07:37:30