Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / We want AGK on PS VITA!

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 12:27 Edited at: 29th Dec 2011 12:29
Speaking at GDC Europe, SCEE's George Bain has confirmed the price studios will have to pay for a PlayStation Vita development kit.

"The PS Vita development kit is going to be very affordable," said Bain. "And when I say affordable I mean €1,900 plus VAT."

The price, which Shuhei Yoshida told Develop would be within the financial reach of smaller studios back in June at EA, will come as good news to numerous small and medium studios. Web speculation to this point had suggested the price would be around $3,000.

The €1,900 price tag is significantly lower than the €20,000 charged for PS2 and PS3 dev kits, and the €15,000 fee for a PSP dev kit.

"There is no cost to join the PS Vita Develop Program," Bain added. "There's just that cost of the dev kit. If you're a small developer, we happy to talk to you about this. It will help if you have a games portfolio. There's no reason we won't speak with smaller studios about joining up."

Looks like the smaller PSP studios won't have any trouble moving onto the Vita with this news plus the earlier news of budgets being more in the ball park of PSP.

Bain also confirmed that prototype dev kits can be free, and revealed that the SCEA PubFund, which offers studios budget for the creation of exclusive titles, is currently seeing up to 15 pitches a week. The PS Vita Dev kit will, unlike the consumer version, feature HDMI out.

Bain concluded by confirming that while the Vita will eventually see non-gaming apps created with Sony partners, for now the company is only accepting game proposals. the system will also, like the PS3, boast support for freemium gaming models.
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 17:15
interesting...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes its very interesting! I think TGC should consider this very seriously, even for their own casual games, whilst VITA is still something new. They can make the AppGameKit Vita version available as an upgrade at an extra price as it will not be suitable for everyone.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 18:12
Interesting. It says that joining the dev program is free. That means you could possibly release a game for Vita without buying a dev kit. Unless of course you need a dev kit to compile the game. The price of a dev kit is still far from what most AppGameKit users would be willing to pay, it's like 5 times the price of the most expensive phones.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
What is interesting is this: Sony is willing to talk to Indie devs, with a good portfolio of games to show!

so whoever is good enough, and has released a steady flow of good quality mobile games, might get a free dev kit, in return of making a Vita exclusive game!

As Digital Awakening said, this is not something for the amateur game player who uses own made graphics and sound library wavs!
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 18:43
Quote: "this is not something for the amateur game player who uses own made graphics and sound library wavs!"

You never know, a really good simple game could make them millions! Look at portal. Started out as indie game Narbacular drop, ended up as portal.

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 19:28
I have had enough... Mobiius I must say your avatar is incredibly annoying...

ok back on topic... interesting free? really?

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sony gave out quite a few free dev kits to indie game makers.

But to tell the whole story, these had a good back catalogue of addictive games that did well on the various app markets.
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Dec 2011 23:05
Quote: "I have had enough... Mobiius I must say your avatar is incredibly annoying... "

I totaly agree

Crap, now I ahve to say something on topic

This would probably be great for AppGameKit and the Vita, though im guessing it would be prety hard to acomplish... I somehow doubt the vita has the same possibilitys as iOS or android in terms of making something like the AppGameKit player...
Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 08:09
*note to self, make my avatar flashing pink and green as well *

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 11:44
Mobiius... one of these days I will figure a way to block just your avatar lol... thinking about it... in theory I could just add the link to my block add list lol

Cliff Mellangard 3DEGS
Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 13:25
I want vita support
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 13:31
Is that another attempt at 'Occupy TGC' lol

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:14
Anyone know whether the VITA SDK is C++ and OpenGL based?

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
b83
Years of Service
User Offline
http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445005

^^ this forum post states that: The SDK is a custom C# environment with its own libs
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:40
C# - oh joy...

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The above link is for PS Suite development (PS on Android) NOT Vita development
b83
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 20:56 Edited at: 6th Jan 2012 21:00
I just googled it, thanks for letting us know bjadams!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sony Android devices like the Xperia S and Tablet P may well be PlayStation Certified, but you wouldn't necessarily know it from looking at the meagre selection of content available. While the promise of PlayStation Suite seems yet to materialise, Sony is at least making efforts towards it today by announcing that the SDK for the platform will go into open beta next month. This will hopefully bring a range of new, original content to PlayStation Certified devices, going beyond the smattering of PSOne games we've been limited to until now.

Later this year the official SDK will be released for an annual fee of $99, giving developers the opportunity to sell their content through the PlayStation Store on mobiles and probably the PS Vita.

Sony also pledged to roll out more content across the service this year, and promote PlayStation Suite more heavily on the store.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 12:27
Quote: "C# - oh joy..."

I get your point!

C# ...

PSP was based off C++ and OpenGL and PS Vita is C#? Weird. It's Sony, not Microsoft.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
The official Press release is here:

http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/120307_e.html

I think TGC should investigate this once its out.

The Suite will allow development over a range of Sony hardware like Vita, PSP, PS3 and Sony mobiles & tablets.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Kamac, there's an opensource project for AGK.net which supports c# so I guess this brings AppGameKit a step closer to the above.

Also I think that Windows Phone & Xbox dev has to be done in C#
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 12:39 Edited at: 10th Mar 2012 12:41
Quote: "Kamac, there's an opensource project for AGK.net which supports c# so I guess this brings AppGameKit a step closer to the above"

Sure, but C# problem doesn't touch only BASIC developers.

A) It's a problem for Lee himself to port the source from C++ to C#.

B) It's a problem for all those who want to develop under C++, as this is no longer possible then.

Quote: "Also I think that Windows Phone & Xbox dev has to be done in C#"

Yup, but you can use XNA for the graphics and things. (Library I think) I've never used it, but I know that people use it to develop for XboX 360, Windows Phones and PC itself. XNA is for C#. Could be a good move to use it for AppGameKit I guess.

In my opinion, it'd be superb to have PSVita supported by AppGameKit, but I think it's a longer-term project. I'd vote for Java+OpenGL/HTML5 to be done first, then 3d and then PSVita support.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
So we have to learn C# now

I had to learn C++, so I guess I will have to learn C# too if I want to develop for WinPhone, Xbox & Vita
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 13:16
Luckily I use C# at work every day

I find it pretty logical but it's slower than C++ for games. Seems an odd choice

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Seems like an odd choice for me too, but most probably they want to attract xbox developers.

I took a look at the Space Shooter C# AppGameKit demo, and it doesn't look too much over complicated. I think that with a bit of patience one can move over to C# within a reasonable time frame
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 14:21
I think they should have a Native SDK working, but they offer C# for indies. (?)

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2012 18:06 Edited at: 10th Mar 2012 18:08
It's "only" $3,000 like the PS3 kit is "only" $10,000 like the x360 kit is "only" $15,000(25k-20k-15k)..

we all make six figures or have rich parents..this is perfectly realistic.

EDIT: It no no way conflicts with SCE licensing or impacts TGC business model and marketing either..
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 09:12 Edited at: 12th Mar 2012 09:16
Quote: "We want AppGameKit on PS VITA!"

we do? I sure as hell dont. lol!

Id rather see multi touch support for my windows 7 tablet plus some accelerometer readings from it as well.

Id even rather see 3d commands before looking into a system i will never buy. Ohnestly sony portable systems are dead! ps vita is not much different from a psp....and the psp blows. I think nintendo dominates the portable platform. I think we will see ios take 2nd place as more developers join in on the ride.

(just my thoughts)

oh and mobiius
Quote: "*note to self, make my avatar flashing pink and green as well"
...lol! Do it! just kidden! but funny...

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
SMD go tell that to the Japanese handheld market!!!
SoftMotion3D
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2012 20:00
i dont need to....again i said it was just my thoughts on it.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure SMD there is nothing wrong with discussing the subject.

TGC seem to be interested to put AppGameKit on popular platforms that support native C++ and also C# and seeing that Sony wants to push the Vita OS to mobiles and tablets, it seems like a viable option FOR THE FUTURE!

I like that fact that Sony have a very controlled environment, and unlike iOS and Android not anything goes. so only quality releases will be acceptable.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2012 11:58
Well, if the vita survives it might be worth looking at some day, but I honestly think it's not a priority for now, there are many other things that should be priority first.

Vita is bombing in the USA and Japan, I am sure it's doing better in Europe as Europe is Sonyland, but honestly it's the last platform most people currently care about on this planet. Even though it's nice and its powerful. I think getting in features like Camera support, in app purchase support, and GPS support as well as other features should be first and web platforms are important such as Java and HTML 5 and I would like to see Windows 8 properly supported before vita. In fact I would rather the 3DS and Xbox be supported before the vita to be honest. The 3DS is bigger in the USA and Japan than the Vita and that's unlikely to change and I don't even own one nor am I Nintendo fan, but facts are facts.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
3DS & Xbox dev kits cost beyond most of AppGameKit users' budgets. Vita dev Suite will cost $99 a year, like Apple.
DMXtra
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2012 08:22
bjadams,

I don't know about the 3DS, but Microsoft offers you to program using XNA for the 360 for $99 per year. You just need a PC and an Xbox 360.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_XNA

Xbox >>>>> PS Vita and it's been out for almost 7 years now. The 3DS shouldn't be that much as the Wii has cheap development as well.

App Game Kit (A.G.K.) - Want to be creative on many platforms at once? This is the tool you need.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
DMXtra its great that XNA dev only costs $99 yearly. I'm sure TGC will consider this when they move AppGameKit to Windows Phone
3d point in space
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 15:54 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 16:02
I am pretty sure that agk will come up with some way of copying and pasting there c++ to c# without changing that much code, or make a simple convertor program. Or C# to C++ convertor program. Or you can buy a convertor at
http://tangiblesoftwaresolutions.com/

Developer of Space Chips, pianobasic, zipzapzoom, and vet pinball apps.
Developed the tiled map engine seen on the showcase.
Veterian for the military.
apocolyp4
Years of Service
User Offline
3d point in space there is no easy way to simply convert c++ to c# they are two completely different languages.

Sony have made a smart move using C#, and a XNA like API for their dev suite. First it allows Xbox 360 developers and XBLIG devs to port their games over from the Xbox 360/PC without to much hassle. Dont be surprised to see games like Bastillon being announced for the Vita as that was built using XNA.

Second reason the dev suite is not just for the Vita but also for Sony tablets, phones and maybe PS3/4. All these devices have different hardware and operating systems, and if you have any experience in using the Android c++ NDK you will know how difficult it is to make sure your games are compatible with most Android phones. Using C# (with mono I assume) there will not be that problem.

Having Sony use C# suites me, as I code all my PC and 360 games using C# XNA/Mono, and my mobile games using the AGK.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
If you check the SpaceShooter AppGameKit demo in C# its not that difficult to pick up after all.

I would prefer having to learn C# and having AppGameKit on platforms like Windows mobile, Xbox & PS Suite, than having nothing.
Alain91
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 11:02 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 11:03
Hello,

Perhaps a way to add vita support, like in the appstore :

http://www.playstation.com/pss/developer/index_e.html

Alain
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 14:33 Edited at: 19th Apr 2012 14:33
Alain, yes this is it!

But in the end it all depends if TGC will be interested to support this platform.
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Dev Cost will be $99 yearly like apple.

It seems that you won't be needing expensive devkits like with PSP, as the Development Assistant installs on a standard PSvita
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Apr 2012 14:40
That's pretty promising... cool

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
An interesting read about converting an existent 2d game to Vita...

http://tacsgames.com/2012/04/20/pss-studio-lets-code-some-vita/
Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
I would love to have AppGameKit on the Vita.
it would be awesome to code for a portable device that powerful.
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 19:39 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 19:39
I would suggest to wait for any further infos from Sony. Maybe they will release Native Development Kit (C++). (I wish)

Also, AppGameKit is needing more features (Like 3d?) until considering Vita.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
We don't need 3d to do Vita games!

There will be NO C++ dev kit. All is done in C#
kamac
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 22:55 Edited at: 26th Apr 2012 22:59
Quote: "There will be NO C++ dev kit. All is done in C#"

Never say never. Android is under Java and it has NDK. So does Windows Phone (there are rumours that they'll release NDK aswell. Though, rumours.)

Also, it should be remembered that:

Quote: "The SDK is a custom C# environment with its own libs"

AGK is OpenGL. Hard to transfer code from OpenGL to some custom libraries.

Jimmanator
Years of Service
User Offline
If agk on the vita will take alot of work you could release it as an addon that costs money

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-05-04 07:36:53
Your offset time is: 2024-05-04 07:36:53