Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Android / What about setting up and sharing an android compiling environment?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 09:58
Hi,
I noted that we are very much to be unable to succeed in compiling our AppGameKit apps for android.

I that a stupid idea to set up a valid and working environment ( Cigwin + Android NDK etc..) and share it with other developpers of AppGameKit community?

All that stuff are portable applications so it can be copied easily on any PC from a Zipped file.

Am I totally wrong?

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 10:13
It would certainly help, I think a in depth video tutorial would be better though...
LeGugusse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 10:46
It would be very easy for someone who have a functional environment to zip the different folders and share it on megaupload.
And it would be so usefull for people like me who did not succeed in setting a valid compiling chain!

I'm really upset by the time lost in setting my compiling environment for nothing, because it still doesn't work...

Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 11:20
Quote: "It would be very easy for someone who have a functional environment to zip the different folders and share it on megaupload."

Actualy I don't think it would be so easy since evryones system is diffirent. I think a good video tutorial would be much better. Describing this in text dosn't realy work either...
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
In most cases where we had issues getting our first app compiled was due to not following the existing guide to the letter.

This included at least for us issues with ndk r7 ... apart from that although there are a lot of steps ... if does just work in the end.

If u are having issues u missed a step ... that won't be solved with a Mega download in most cases
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Dec 2011 18:48
But a vid woulg help
DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
A lot of us are having trouble with it. A printer would help a little, or a dual monitor setup. I have to keep swapping between the guide and what I am doing, this can lead to silly mistakes, which I must have made at some point. For some reason I could only get the player to compile, it ignored my game data completely, despite changing the name as per the guide. I have been meaning to remove everything and try again, but keep putting it off.
One thing I have noticed is that although I installed the sdk to c:/android, it has installed some files in my user folder. This could be normal, or perhaps I missed something when installing?
I have also had issues getting an android device to pick up on eclipse. I installed the USB drivers in eclipse, but they do not work in the device manager when I plug the phone in.
One other point about the guide, is it tells you to change the name of the app to your game, which I did. However, this is before you actually add your game data to the player and at the end it says you should be able to compile just the player. So if you change the name when it says, how does it still compile just the player? That part is a little confusing when you are trying to follow it.
I am surprised TGC didn't use a video for these guides in the first place. It is a far easier way to follow something like this, and would help out all of us struggling to get to grips with the process.

Tone Dialer
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 14:21 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2012 14:28
@DVader

I have been reading your posts with interest, for my part I managed to get my first Android App compiled an on to my phone.
I posted some pointers in this thread.
http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=191875&b=46
Reading your post on this thread, I did the following..
for SDK and NDK I did not do any installs, I just Unziped the downloaded zip file to my new folder structure eg. c:/Android/android-ndk-r7.

It is an achivement to get the Player to compile, so you are getting there.
In addition to renaming the .BYC file to 'bytecode.byc' did you also remove the '//' commenting at the beginning of the line after #idef IDE_ANDROID in interpreter.cpp ? as this step is vital to ensure your code is compiled along with the player.

I did not install any drivers for the my phones USB connection to the PC, I just went to Settings, Applications, Development and turned on USB debugging mode on the phone.
Plugging the phone into the PC (XP in this case) Windows found the phone as a USB device and it appeared on Eclipse for me to select.

Good luck.

DVader
Years of Service
User Offline
Not been on for awhile, so a bit slow to respond. Ah, I tried setting debugging mode on but it didn't seem to connect. The cable is not the best though it could well be just that.

I did remove the commenting // lines out also. Made no difference at all for me at the time.

I haven't even looked at this for over 2 weeks now as I hate going round in circles. I will have a fresh attempt probably at some point soon. I have probably read your thread already, but I may have missed it. Will have a look.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:13:35
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:13:35