Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [NaGaCreMo 2012] FTP APPLOAD

Author
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 1st Jan 2012 18:27 Edited at: 30th Jan 2012 00:37
Hi guys, last year I very much wished to take part in NaGaCreMo 2011 but never got around to it as I was a much a freshmen...
Now a year later I feel much more confident and actually have a realistic project which is not just for fun but a commercial product… Hence the copyright stuff… Sorry.

Ok, I am always uploading files especially large files more and more now… to my web-site… while there are applications to use for this I feed they are tedious… and time consuming to work with… for many reasons…

I therefore decided to make an application that makes life easier for me and then thought why not make it commercial and for everybody?

Before I go into the features, here’s how I plan to make it commercial…

There are 4 editions at present, although I have some more ideas down the pipeline…

1- Free, yup a limited functionality edition so like a demo to show you how it works.

2- £5, Consumer level price point with Group A functions, for all user types.

3- £15, Business level distribution edition for Businesses with branding.

4- £20, Dual distribution with Consumer and Business editions combined.

I will input more data here after dinner tonight in about 3 hours give or take.

I wanted to get this posted for day one of the challenge and hey what would a WIP be without a screen shot?

The buttons are not laid out yet nor the input boxes but I assure you I already have a fully working ALPHA. This image is still yet to be implemented into the app and I need to make it modular too.

So yeah I also plan to get a demo out for everyone within the next few days just need to get SPP sorted soon I am currently in discussion with the maker Michael as I need to make a video to show what I am doing and see if he can help fix my auto update issues…

Once that little snag is complete I will upload a demo for all to download and use. Will make it limited in functionality of course until I release a full edition… maybe I will disable the beta one and force it to make you download the new full release edition…
Feature list to come shortly as well as more of a description.
Thank you for now and do obviously come back for updates  I should be making updates daily.

There is yet much to do and as said I have it working, just need to iron out the UI and functions. As well as distribution system.

EDIT

I may take a while to implement each area for a few days got a lot of posting leaflets to do for my shop... and technology has not been kind to me recently... my phone just died on me...

The UI is being designed to be as user friendly as possible and reduce confusion.

FEATURE LIST-

For free edition:
Manual entry of link URL [www.domain/folder/]
Manual entry of login data, ftp address/username/password
Manual entry of all additional features, and data is not saved for future uses.
Simple launch select file and upload with link output
Link is delivered after upload is complete and there is no file checking for existence and the URL is displayed in a message window not output in a text file
Application exits upon upload completion or failure
HELP MENU in all editions
more to come

Full feature Paid editions:
CONSUMER EDITION-GROUP A FUNCTIONS
Set once and save for future usage Link URL and login data
Edit each of the LINK URL and LOGIN data fields at any time
Link output before upload commences, link is stored in a text file in same folder as upload object for convenience and is launched prior to upload commencement to be manipulated however the user wishes
Links are stored internally for user to reference in future and therefore the same exe can be stored anywehere and never lose track of the data, a possiblity is also to export this data and import it as will
Files are checked for size comparison and existence post upload completion
Application does not exit on completion of file upload
a lot more to come soon.

CONSUMER + BUSINESS EDITION
Same as consumer edition with the added benefit of a prebuilt in login account and the additional manual entry fields with a switch to use one otr the other
Prebuilt in account can not be changed unless re assigned by requesting a new build or update

LANGUAGES-

I plan to make the app into a multi lingual application either dual text or singular text and load in languages based on prefix selection. [Possibly using case select here to load different languages on launch]

OH yeah this is my first WIP thread ever... Comments and Criticism please and any tips are also welcome

EDIT

Image and Name change...

EDIT

Here is the website to read more and download the needed files
http://www.akaneaya.co.uk/appload/

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 17:33
Sounds like a decent idea, what advantages does this have over other FTP programs?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 17:43 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2012 17:44
Advantages are that the user does not need to know too much about folder navigation aside from the initial setup for the individual user... it helps cut down time from having to launch an FTP manager and jump into the folder you are looking for and then manually creating a link which takes anywhere from 15-30 seconds... with my app its around erm... 3-5 seconds...

To top it off you can run multiple instances of the app to multi upload, and for a power user like me fiddling with tedious logins and looking for where I want my file to go and then having to manually write up the link URL just creates what i call time block... when I would rather be manipulating that link straight away... like uploading a video file and placing it into my blog... which I will video and show as a prime example...

urm, basically... time advantage and link ready convenience in short... however as I develop it further I guess more things can come of it I have future plans to implement this system into a new app

EDIT

Where are my manners [guessing due to lack of food right now...] Thanks for the feedback helped me get more motivated... life is a little tough and rough right now...

Seppuku Arts
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 18:29
That seems like a decent concept to speed up the FTP process, I'd be interested in seeing it in action. I can't say I like any of the FTP's I've tried and I like things that are quick to use and ergonomic in design.

Best of luck with your project mate.

Blobby 101
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 18:31
Ah, I see - good idea then. I have to agree with Sepp here, no FTP i've used has ever been to easy to use imo - good luck with it!

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 18:37
Cheers guys I will crack on with it tonight when I get home shortly... laundry and dishes first though

Can you guys give some feedback or ideas for the user functions?

My idea was to have simple keys 1-9 as the input panel options 1 being help 2 being url link etc and thats about it however I now realise I may want to move them up to the F1 F2 F3... keys as if a user has a number in their password then I may have conflict... yay resolved one issue already XD

but yeah I hope you get me... the information will be layout across the top of that shiny central block and the input panels will pop up in the centre... hope to get a sample of this done by tonight...

And how about the current colour layout is it OK on the eyes?

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 22:48 Edited at: 8th Jan 2012 19:10
UPDATE

I have dropped the idea of number or function key input and will go with click buttons on screen and to remove the need for multiple languages I have gone for a detailed translation document...

I have also if you read my blog Converted my code into Modules for easier [sort of] code management

I also started ironing out some bgs like not needed force exits thats all done now the main window stays een after a failed pload so that you can try to upload it again and even reseect the file aain and also if you did not select a file and attempted to upload it would have crashed the app but I used a simple if statement there to fix that loop hole ^^

I can not believe how much I have achieved with this so far but it is beautiful.

I hope to have a demo out by the weekend as I have made so much headway I just need to get the updater working and sort out the input data fields...

EDIT

typos

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 30th Jan 2012 00:35 Edited at: 19th Mar 2012 08:36
UPDATE

Please see firsst post for new image

also can I request a mod to please rename this thread to just

Quote: "[NaGaCreMo 2012] APPLOAD"

thank you

I have finally completed the first release of the app and setup the basic website in order to complete my NaGaCreMo CHALLENGE !!!

I AM A WINNER YES YES YES

Feels good

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2012 08:37
Can someone change the title? pretty please... I hope to make some further developments in this app once I pick up more PHP and MySQL...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 31st May 2012 12:55
Just posting to make sure this doesnt get locked as i will develop this further in the coming months just building up my skills further and then I will have something more for this to show and I may consider making it free to use or implement a membership system... which frankly is what this is missing...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Sep 2012 16:53
Another update... I hope to get a membership system setup in the coming month...

Hoping more of you guys try it out soon... I hope to make this free somehow soon...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Nov 2012 18:51 Edited at: 15th Nov 2012 22:19
This is really awkward...

Anyway I have now moved onto GDK.NET and I may look to make this using that... or maybe even in just the .NET framework altogether...

Keeping this thread alive as it has everything, I hope to also bring the DBP version up to scratch either way and I will try to make it not DX reliant...

Fingers crossed!

EDIT

I may attempt to test APPLOAD without DX reliance soon...

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Nov 2012 00:22 Edited at: 9th Feb 2013 13:15
UPDATE!

I have ran successful tests for an independent version, which pretty much as a rough draft, works...

Expect APPLOAD to go from BETA to full release soon!

I can see this going over to GDK.NET/C# soon!

EDIT

Update

I should be free by the end of February to give Appload a fresh overhaul for a V2 release! if not the start of April!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 02:31:44
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 02:31:44