Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Work in Progress / [AppUp]: The Shield Project

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 01:42 Edited at: 2nd Jan 2012 01:44
The Shield Project

The Shield Project (codename for the game) is my take on the puzzle-game genre. The idea for this game sprouted during Ludum Dare 22 (which took place 2 weeks ago). The main mechanic of the game is based on the prototype submitted for the compo: The player uses a shield to deflect bullets and solve puzzles.

Attached, you can find a Dev Document which contains a list of all implemented features (including details such as: Behavior, Visual Feedback, Interactions).

For those who are not looking forward to downloading the .pdf, or are unable to open it, here's a list of what has been completed, and what Is in development:

Features [02/01/2012]:
- Entities:
|- Dynamic Turrets
|- Static Turrets
|- Laser Emitters
|- Speed Ramps and Stop Ramps
|- Doors (normal and destroyable)
|- Projectile reflecting tiles
- Powers:
|- The Energy Shield
|- Reflecting certain types of projectiles

Bellow are the features I am prototyping/adding. Note that the list may/will change through out development.
Working on:
- Tools
|- GOL (Game object Library) Editor (external object editor. Allows creation of templates and entities, as well as editing the parameters for each entity, like Life, Mesh, Projectile Type, etc).
|- Crates and holders (puzzle element similar to the moving stones/rocks in the pokemon, gameboy, series)
|- Dynamic Platforms

All graphics and media in use right now are place holders. As soon as I finish implementing the basic features, the art direction will be established. I've already contacted a colleague of mine (mobile industry professional Harko Bottond) regarding some contracting work for the project (concept art mainly). As for the sound effects and music, I plan on licensing them from SoundRangers.

Control scheme:
The game is viewed from a (non fixed) top-down camera perspective. Controls (for now) are W A S D (movement), Mouse (camera handling) and Space (enable / disable shield). The controls scheme will most likely change in the near future as I am more inclined to go for a fixed camera perspective in order to remove the mouse (gaming on netbooks, I find it hard to use the Touch Pad when I don't have a mouse connected).

Progression:
Each level consists of a puzzle or a series of puzzles. Twelve levels build a stage. Each stage has a different theme (ranging from “Test Laboratory”, “Exotic Fauna”, “Industrial Area”, etc).
At the beginning of a level the goals are shown. The player must meet the requirements in order to further advance (requirements examples: Reach the Exit, Destroy all the Turrets, Collect all the “insert name”). Average time spent on a level should be around 30s – 1 min.

More details, regarding the enemies, puzzles and interactive elements, can be found inside the Dev Document. Here are some screenshots (again, all models and textures are placeholders):

And the Shield Animation (same animation from the Ludum Dare compo, but meh):

Please, feel free to ask any question, leave suggestions or tips.

P.s. Since I am here, I would like to ask if I could join the ADG(App Developer Group).

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 11:29
Reminds me of Robot Wars...

Go over to the ADG thread and website to join them

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 12:33
Hi MrValentine, thanks for the tip regarding ADG!

Also, Robot Wars? The game in which you had to build robots from parts and make them fight do death?
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 13:00
Your welcome

Yeah the very same!

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 17:50
If you need any advice regarding AppUp the App Developers Group mentioned by Mr Valentine was started by me just over a year ago and has guides to help.

Take a look at the resources section of our site here: http://adg.devink.co.uk/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=83:appup_dev_guide&Itemid=81

We will also allow you to create a game listing for any games you publish (or make the listing for you if you get stuck). The site homepage is here: http://adg.devink.co.uk/

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 18:04
baxslash thanks! I've registered on your website about a week ago. Lot's of useful information.

Ontopic:
Added a level selection menu, useful for dev-ing, hence it allows me to have different "sandboxes" for each entity. I will record a video later on showing off different puzzles and scenarios.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 06:41:12
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 06:41:12