Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Fixed FPS. Why

Author
AGK Studio Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
I see that a always get a different max FPS on different devices.

This code will always display:
120 FPS on windows.
30 FPS on my samsung galaxy s2 mobile.
63 FPS on Asus eepad transformer tablet.

Why cant i get more then 30 FPS on a samsung s2 ?

If im not able to fix this, could you all post your FPS from your mobiles, just like to know the max FPS on different devices.

Thanks.

best regards Preben Eriksen,
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
And if you run it on iphone you will get 60fps!

That's the way it is, most mobile devices will max your fps at 30 or 60. Only on Windows you can go more than 60
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 17:26
What's the point, the human eye can barley notice the diffirence between 60 and 30 fps...
Benjamin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 20:18
It's probably just the refresh limit of the phone's display, nothing to worry about really. I'd suggest either working with timer based movement, or design the game/app to work on the lowest frame rate necessary.

Quote: "What's the point, the human eye can barley notice the diffirence between 60 and 30 fps..."

Wrong.

Support a charitable indie game project!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
maybe the human eye cannot spot the difference between 30 and 60 fps, but I surely feel the difference with my game running at 60fps on iphone 3gs and ~40fps on an android phone!
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Jan 2012 23:35
Quote: "maybe the human eye cannot spot the difference between 30 and 60 fps, but I surely feel the difference with my game running at 60fps on iphone 3gs and ~40fps on an android phone!"

Unless you have a timer based movment system...
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 00:42
For 2D games, say an RTS, you usually stop noticing the frames even below 30 FPS. Usually 30 FPS is enough, but if you are playing a fast 3D game (like have a mouse controlled camera) then something like 60 FPS is recommended.

If the FPS is limited because your hardware isn't fast enough then you might notice it. But if the FPS is limited due to the screen then it shouldn't matter.

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
I have a timer based movement system, but you can still feel the difference between the smooth iphone version and the dragging android version
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 12:58
I am pretty sure my S][ hit 60 when I last tested... will check again...

About that 100 fps webby theyre so biased and left us blind folk in the shadows... well partially sighted folk...

I was born with nystagma (there is a plethora of spellings-or so said my eye tester)

It means my eyes shake violently... but that does not mean I can not see anything... imagine you are in a fast moving vehicle... you look to the side and see fuzz... I on the otherhard see intricate details of objects with intervals...

I also have a crazy attention to detail... I am a ZOOM FREAK as many of my clients will tell you >.<

It does mean that reading small text is a bother but I generally see everything just fine... and I see just about every frame up to 600fps but I think it was more 300 fps where I stop caring... but yeah my view on fps is a bottle neck... basically if you manage to squeese xxxx fps out of a game you are creating on the minimum spec hardware you are designing for then you have xxx frames to build more detail into your game before players will notice a caring difference... thats just one of my views another is hardware performance just to mention.

The xxxx minus xxx fps was intentionally four and three just in case somebody reading thinks I missed one.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 13:02
Quote: "I have a timer based movement system, but you can still feel the difference between the smooth iphone version and the dragging android version"

Agreed. TBM can help but you can still tell the difference. I've heard people say they could tell the difference between 60fps and 66fps but frankly I'd be very impressed.

The physics system in AppGameKit is time based so you shouldn't have to worry about it and almost anything you do in AppGameKit can easily be tied to time. Personally I try to make all animation time based.

The question in the first post is "why is it different on different devices?". The answer is fairly simple I would have thought, AppGameKit tries to get the best fps it can from each device. I don't know how but that would be the reason why (I'm guessing...)

Mobiius
Valued Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 17:54
Doesn't it just run at the devices default refresh rate?

My signature is NOT a moderator plaything! Stop changing it!
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 17:59
Maybe, I haven't seen anything on this anywhere else. It would be nice to know for sure...

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:56
I think you will find the brain can interact faster than 30fps, which means drag motions and mouse movements exceed the rate at which the eye can appreciate the result of those individual slices of time. Thus the expression, the hand is quicker than the eye

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:05
Is it just the default refresh rate though Lee or does AppGameKit try to achieve an optimum FPS?

I am experimenting with multi-touch at the moment for an iPad / iPod / iPhone game and I have to agree you can be quite accurate with touch commands. More so than I imagined.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:41
Default Refresh Rate (controlled by vsync where available).

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 14:26
Another thing to consider since we are talking about touch devices. If the controls feel differently it might not be the FPS but rather the accuracy of the digitizer. Good modern phones have a 60-80 Hz digitizer but cheap or older ones have 30-40 Hz.

It doesn't really matter if a game feels different on different devices if you think about it.

If you only get 30 FPS on an S2 I would guess it has something to do with the screen used. I think it's the only phone using that specific type of screen. It's pretty amazing to look at and I never thought I had a low FPS on mine.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 23:35:20
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 23:35:20