Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Casual Games Engine.Need advice.

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Engine for casual games. Need advice.
There is a task - write engine for casual games. Maybe someone already wrote something about this and be able to help. I would be happy with any advice.

Dark GDK IS THE BEST!!!!
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 12:31 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2012 12:32
Well, you need to clarify some things so people will understand better what you need help with...

What do you mean with Engine? What do you want it to do for you? 2D or 3D?
What's considered a Casual Game? What are the things that define a Casual Game? What separates a Casual Game from other games?

AlecG
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_5rJio5AYQ this is an example of the game. I need 2D graphics only.

Dark GDK IS THE BEST!!!!
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Thats 3d man

I think .. make a small engine with the basics for each game, like a template then develop from there... it's easy and take very less time..

To make an engine i think it's too much work and it costs very much time ...
But if you do it right.. its cool
Look at Frostbite II and RAGE.. pretty cool engines but of couse developed by hundreds of programmers =D

C++ Medium 3.5/5
www.oryzhon.com <-- My company's website (W.I.P)
AlecG
Years of Service
User Offline
It is 2D I created art for this game . We want to create our each game but we don`t have our own engine, programmers wrote the engine but we can`t use it. So we want to create our own engine. It should support after effects animation and so on. But first of all i want to speak about the basics. What should i do first?

Dark GDK IS THE BEST!!!!
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
well im not the best person to talk about this but i think you should work first on the very basics for the game:
-Window Setup
-Game Setup
-Game Objects Initiation

I recommend to use classes or structs (easier but not so much clean.. but i use them)

Then you can move with the game itself.. like AI.. i dont real know what this game is...and the objects that it has and that kind of knowledge you need to have about the game.

Now that i think.. You are trying to make a "clone" of that game but coded by you right?
If yes i think that it can be called an "emulator" of the game, not a 100% because i think you will use your graphichs and stuff..

Well as Pauli said, we need more details so we can help..

C++ Medium 3.5/5
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 20:33
Curious...

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
@Mrvalentine
did i say something wrong?

C++ Medium 3.5/5
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 21:21
Thats funny what makes you think you said something wrong?

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Jan 2012 22:16 Edited at: 3rd Jan 2012 22:16
Because i have almost no experience in engines xDDDD

at least made with DGDK..

C++ Medium 3.5/5
AlecG
Years of Service
User Offline
The engine must support the playback of music and sounds. Animation of moving, rotating, scaling, opacity sprites. Must maintain a system of gaming events and states of all game objects. We need to create a system event processing events such as:
- moving the sprite
- rotation of the sprite
- scaling of a sprite
- opacity change
- playing a sprite
- start playing the sprite
- stop playing the sprite
- cursor on the sprite
- click on the area of ​​the sprite

and so on.
I need to do this engine, buyout will open a script and execute it.I want my engine will execute the scripts and i would not need to recompile it every time.
Well i think i will start writing it and will post the results.

Dark GDK IS THE BEST!!!!
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
so you want a kind of wrapper/IDE like a game builder with scripts handling and stuff?

C++ Medium 3.5/5
Hassan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Jan 2012 13:14
all those things are easily doable in GDK, all you need to do is to wrap things around to fit your needs, though, scripting is a whole new story and you will have to learn a scripting language such as LUA and implement it yourself in the engine as there is not support for this at all.
i have no idea what is your level of knowledge about GDK but in case you're totally new, you can check the Dark Invaders tutorial that came with the GDK samples, this should introduce you to how things work in GDK, next thing will be planning the layout of your engine, grab a paper and sketch a tree diagram showing how things are related to eachother, your best option is to use OOP (classes & inheritance), for example, a class for the system, class for the player, class for an enemy, classes for AIs, etc..

just get started and let us know if you need help, we will do our best to help out, good luck

AlecG
Years of Service
User Offline
Thank you very much!.. I will start it in couple of days. I want to implement LUA to my engine so i will read some literature about all this stuff..

Dark GDK IS THE BEST!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-24 21:24:42
Your offset time is: 2024-04-24 21:24:42