Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Input on an Android

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I continue to add features to my game for my Android. I am trying to build a way for the user to type in their username. I want to limit the name to 10 characters. I'm playing around with the function "StartTextInput" and "StopTextInput". First, it works on my computer when I test. I can use the keyboard. However, I cannot limit it. Well, at least not using the native function.

When I test on my Android, I get very different results. I can get the keyboard to pop up on my phone, but it does not display the text as I type and I still cannot see the text as I type.

It really seems like this function is not fully tested and under developed. Has anyone else written any code to let the user input text? Is there a better way to do this?
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Yeah the native keyboard input is a bit of a mess.

You have no control over the character length, the size of the input window, or default text.

At this stage the only other option would be to build your own virtual keyboard using sprites - i know a couple of people have been looking at going down that path.

Westa
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks. That's what I was afraid of. Let's hope they enhanced this function in the next release.
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Jan 2012 14:24
Just out of interest, how do you look at individual characters? Say I have a string which reads 'AGK' what command do I use to look at the second character?

I did a little bit in C++ (Tier 2) a while back and you could declare text as 'Char' this enabled you to look at individual characters like so:

How do you replicate that in Tier 1?
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 12:28
Sorry for the double post... So I guess this means either no one knows, or I've asked a silly question? I'm hoping its the latter and someone can kindly help me out... Thanks.
LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 13:39
We're making a better text entry system a priority for build 107 (the next one) though we will ultimately be limited to what the built-in keyboard can do on Android. You can always create your own keyboard system from scratch, it's a lot of work and not everyone will like the result, but it would means you guarantee how it looks across all platforms and ensure minimum level of functionality.

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 08:09:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 08:09:21