Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Finding Hosts with MultiSync

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Jan 2012 22:07 Edited at: 7th Jan 2012 22:37
Its a sad sad thing... I know multisync doesn't have this sorta capability.
I wrote a small program that would go through all ip adress's and try to connect but im sure now that it would take many hours.
I read something about saving the user ip adress in a .txt file, on an ftp hosting site, so other client programs could download and open it.
Im looking for some help getting started with the ftp idea, or other solutions that would find host's ip automatically for the user.

Can raknet find hosts automatically? I really dont want to put the time in to learn raknet but its an option. Is it possible to use raknet just to find an ip then connect with multisync???

[edit] So is there a site that allows the reading and writing of text file for everybody?
JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
HAPPY 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY, BenJames8.

Have you considered writing your own host-server that users can register with. That way they can check with your server to find a host or register themselves as a host etc. Writing your own host would also give you the flexibility to add features like: download hot-fixes, world updates etc.

I would think that approach wouldn't be to terribly difficult since no "game time" services would be required. I wouldn't know, of course, since I've never done it myself yet but I'm fairly sure that's how I would go about it.

JTK
Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 19:05
I'm trying to get away from always having an application hosting on my computer.
For one my internet is not reliable and two its prolly a pain always having a little window sitting there.
I've been looking for a way to just have darkGdk dbOpenToRead() function open a file shared over the internet, but to no avail.

I wonder if i can open files on other computers in my network?

BTW THANKS! Yours is soon isn't it?
JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
I have an old Pentium 2 box that I picked up from a yard sale dirt cheap as my server box. All of my server apps sit on there. I've never had enough traffic to bog it down and I figure if I do, I can upgrade then... So its running xp, no biggie. Lol.

And yes, here soon I'll have two years too.

JTK
Noley
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 18:06 Edited at: 11th Jan 2012 18:07
Hehe yesss Happy Anniversary hehe

Perhaps an alternative could be to design a simple launcher application outside of your game, which:
1) Checks if a server-ip file exists and if so deletes it (to prevent tampering)
2) Downloads the proper server-ip file from a file sharing website (I know there is a .txt site, can't think of the name off the top of my head though)
3) Launches your game after the download.

And you could do a simple check when the game starts up, to see if the server file has actually been downloaded and if not you could display a splash Informing the user that an error has occurred and to please re-launch the Launcher, preferably as an admin ;P or something

That's pretty much a method I used to use up until I just started using a machine in my basement, dedicated for hosting my apps' servers and have a bit of a realmlist server going on ;o

Btw that was all intended to be used with multi-sync, that's what I used it and worked fine, so don't worry about learning Raknet if you haven't got some other important reason to!

I hope this helps

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 23:45:21
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 23:45:21