Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Any Target Date for Build 107 yet?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 19:49
I'm pretty excited about having http commands, and was quite disappointed when AppGameKit first came out and had none. But when I saw it mentioned that the next update will have them, I was floored! This is really a must for any kind of multiplayer and score boarding system, so I'm curious how far along it is until we can get our hands on the next update?
The Zoq2
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 20:01
February is what I have heard
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Jan 2012 20:53
Quote From Lee:

Quote: "Perhaps March 2012"

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=193068&b=41
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
still quite far away. but we will have to wait
SageTech
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 06:51
Yikes, looks like I'll have to make do for a while yet
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey Lee, hope you are joking!? Need a build with ftp/url/php and gps commands soon... Postboned projects already to February because I hoped to get a new release with all this commands in January.... Don't wanna jump to other development tools because of waiting too long for all this "basic" commands... Time is critical in creating successful commercial apps...
PLEASE, PLEASE!!!

westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont hold your breath on GPS ... least that would be my guess ... but lets put agk in perspective ... its a gaming tool ... if u need things like gps there are better option out there right now than tier1
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Don't think there will be GPS in 107

I am also developing in 2 other SDKs (already released 4 game projects) until AppGameKit picks up some momentum.

I want to do a finger painting colouring book app, but it's a big hassle to have to use millions of sprites to do that in AppGameKit as there are no image creation/capture commands right now.
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Ironically though Any finger paint like tools work exactly like that using sprites or blobs to alllow undo and the like
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Westalke, there's way too many sprites involved, after 2 mins of painting, the fps drops to a crawl.

Right now I am doing the app with another SDK, but at this rate, I'm always postponing new project ideas to do with AGK...
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 13:33
Quote: "Westalke, there's way too many sprites involved, after 2 mins of painting, the fps drops to a crawl."

You might be able to decrease the number of sprites by not drawing every loop and by stretching sprites to make several into one where possible? Perhaps if you are adding 60 sprites per second then I'm not surprised.

I know this is still not very practical but it might be useful when the draw commands become available and you find you want an undo feature. You could work out a good number of sprites to build up before they are "drawn" onto your main image and become "un-undoable".

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
sounds very long winded.

One would have to keep a timer-counter, and only draw like 5 sprites per second instead of 60 if the user keeps his finger pressed.

Stretching is not an option as the user can wiggle his finger to draw hazardously.

Sounds very complicated to do it this way.

I have decided to skip this project with AppGameKit, as the right commands are not there yet.
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:11 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 17:13
I fancied a break so here's a quick attempt just using the timer method:

I got up to 10,000 sprites with no slow down on my low end workstation but I haven't tried a phone yet. That's about 15 minutes work from scratch (not including 3 minutes to test up to 10,000 sprites BTW ). I could add in the stretching code too but I guess you've already given up until the drawing commands are available which is understandable.

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Funnell7
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:31 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 17:32
Baxslash, just FYI... Below is the results using your code on a Samsung Galaxy S2...

60 FPS until ~1000 Sprites
Flicking between 59-60 FPS at ~1000 - ~3000 Sprites
Dropped to 50 FPS at ~4000
Dropped to 30 FPS at ~6000

Interesting... Held out longer than I thought it would...

EDIT: Had one too many zero's
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 17:35
Interesting! I'll try it on the iPod Touch tonight if I get the chance.

Sorry for dragging this thread off topic!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Baxslash the problem is not on desktop pcs but on mobiles. on desktop pcs the fps stays constant. on mobiles it drops down considerably.

now imagine a colouring book where the user has to fill in the whole page!!!!!

What I am doing (not with AGK) is use sprites until the user untouches the screen. as soon as this happens, i grab the screen, delete all sprites and paste the new big sprite on screen. I keep 5 saved screens for undos. Works wonders!
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Sadly the more we test the less we are feeling positive about agk its API is just too lacking in some basic areas.

Sure running on lots of platforms may be great in concept ... but it seems to be coming at the expense of minimum or basic API functionity.

Simple vector graphics
Image masking
Image manipulation
Video playback
Device interaction with io elements ... camera ... Mic ... GPS
Associative arrays
Paul Johnston
TGC Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 02:56 Edited at: 11th Jan 2012 02:56
Quote: "Simple vector graphics, Image manipulation, Video playback, camera, mic"

All these I would like to get in at some point, it's just a matter of time.

Quote: "Image masking, Associative arrays"

Can you elaborate on how you these would work?
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 12:06
Considering how fast these platforms are changing I hope we don't have to wait till 2012..

I also hear people are doing WP7 without .NET/Silverlight/XDA too.

@Space Dream Studios: There are no "PHP" commands, only socket and some HTTP and Database connection interfaces on these devices. PHP is a script engine usually used on CGI.
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: ""Image masking""

Have a look at the corona sdk has a good example of image masking.
But basically the ability to set a different image as an additional alpha channel layer for a sprite.

image = LoadImage ( "someImage.png" )
mask = LoadImage ( "someMask.png" ) // Greyscale ideally
sprite = CreateSprite ( image )

// associate a mask with the sprite
// the mask will act like an alpha channel overlay that masks out parts of the image not associated with the mask area

setSpriteMask( sprite, mask )

// scale the mask relative to the sprite
setSpriteMaskScale( sprite , u , v )

// adjust the position of the mask relative to the image
setSpriteMaskOffset( sprite , x , y )

// determine if the mask tiles / wraps
setSpriteMaskWrapping( sprite , TileYesNo , WrapYesNo )

Westa
westalke
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 14:15 Edited at: 11th Jan 2012 14:19
Quote: ""Associative arrays""

Either associative arrays or associate addressing for types.

Currently with dot notation we can address a type as: mytype.somevalue or even mytype.somevalue.subvalue

Which is ok for hard coding elements - but when you are looking at doing serious development and wanting to evolve libraries of functions etc - this syntax is problematic.

SO what would be ideal is a way to address the same type using associate syntax. Such as:
myType["somevalue"] being equivalent to mytype.somevalue.

If we then added support for FOR EACH syntax we could then walk type trees.

FOR EACH field in myType
somevalue = myType[field]
END FOR

the addition of ISSTRING() , ISINT() , ISFLOAT() , ISTYPE() functions would then complete the set.

Westa
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
+1 for these functions:

Simple vector graphics
Image masking
Image manipulation
Video playback
Device interaction with io elements ... camera ... Mic ... GPS

We need these NOW not in 4 months' time, to be able to do some basic apps in AGK.
Space Dream Studios
Competition Prize Winner 2014
Years of Service
User Offline
bjadams: I completely agree!!!

bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Maybe they can just do the commands for Windows, iOS and Android to speed up the process for now, and then make them available for other platforms later on.

I can understand that it's hard to please everyone, with limited resources and manpower
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 11:36
Personally, I'd put a Lua interface high on the list. Lua can be compiled into the run-time system and call back to functions in the interpreter or player. It's easier than C++ and much more powerful than Basic. People could have sets or associative arrays or anything else, and we could post some powerful library stuff up here.

-- Jim
Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 11:37
While AppGameKit may be for games, end-users will want social media functionality which requires GPS, camera access, and access to TCP/IP..

Only speaking as someone who does the games professionally for a few dozen successful companies and acknowledges the marketing aspect of mobile development, especially in gaming..

This stuff isn't even remotely hard to implement, especially considering AppGameKit isn't a compiler but a code generator and all supported platforms have high-level APIs..
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 18:45
I would love to see commands to share stuff on Facebook and Twitter etc. Stuff like that is a great way to promote your apps. Or maybe this will be possible with HTTP commands?

Greenster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 13:52
@Digital Awakening: Yeah all HTTP. You'll need GET+POST and the ability to set custom headers. You might have to manually parse some JSON, but that's pretty easy.

IMO if you look at any successful game for any of these markets, they have social media integration, something AppGameKit can't currently do but all device APIs support fully.
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 23:37

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-25 12:21:16
Your offset time is: 2024-04-25 12:21:16