Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Bug Reports / DBPro Error with #INCLUDE (latest DBP)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Jan 2012 20:58
I don't like to be a nuisance, so I tried to solve this on the halp board so that I could at least provide a workaround. Sadly, can't. Anyway, details:

Relevant Information:
   DBP Installer Pack:
      DBProFreeInstaller251111.exe
      Windows 7 Home Premium x64

Problem:
The #INCLUDE command doesn't work. It won't try to compile. Whether or not: the included file is added to the project, the included file is in the project's directory, the included file is in the temporary folder DBP uses or all/none of the aforementioned. I have double/triple checked my path and even pasted it from explorer. Still error. Eventually enabled output window. According to the output, it is a "syntax error".

It's definitely the editor doing it. I copied the "compiler" directory from the new version to my old version and invoked the old editor (It's easier than copying the editor from the old to the new and getting it working). Anyhow, DBPro runs like a dream now (sans the awesome editor environment from the new one ;_; but anyway). Dunno what's causing the error beyond that apart from speculation by other users. Btw, it's not my security systems. I did an absolutely clean run and still got problem.

Speculation:
I've had suggestions that it could be DEP. I've disabled it (so much as you can in windows 7) but I was told it could be happening at CPU-level because of hardware DEP (which my CPU supports). My laptop's bios offers no hardware alteration so I can't test that theory. Hopefully this information's enough to track it down. Personally though, the more I think about it the more I wonder how DEP could affect #INCLUDE. My understanding was that #INCLUDE just appended the include-file to the source file at pre-compile (standard disk operation like saving, except the output is the temp source dump). Therefore DEP shouldn't affect it or am I missing something?

Optional Drivel: (little relevance to bug report)

Will post a reason or solution if I find one (I doubt I will though).

Mistrel
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Try upgrading to the 7.7 release candidate.

http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=180294&b=1

nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 10:02
And I just updated fairly recently *sigh*... Will try when I next have access to decent internet(long story). Thanks.

jayell leedham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2012 18:30
#include works fine for me.
The secret, I think is to remember that #included text appends itself (ie adds the text to the end of your calling .dba file). Of course this means that any text can be #included, functions, data lists etc. But you need to watch out the #included file isn't run into when compiling.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 00:21
Quote: "#include works fine for me."

Same here - once I corrected the spelling of my included file name (in my first attempt I had "yourname.dba" in one place and "yourfile.dba" in another ).

nonZero Any chance you did the same silly thing as me?

I'm using U77RC7 with the "new" editor.

I attach a small complete project which works for me. What do you get?

Attachments

Login to view attachments
jayell leedham
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 12:37
Yes, my efforts are littered with misspelling.....
I also use U77RC7. Your project works fine.
Just a point. Experimentation shows that you need not use .dba or inverted commas in your #included name.
ie #include "myfile.dba" can be #include myfile.
Green Gandalf
VIP Member
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: Malevolence:Sword of Ahkranox, Skyrim, Civ6.
Posted: 22nd Feb 2012 13:43
Quote: "ie #include "myfile.dba" can be #include myfile."

I didn't know that. Thanks.
nonZero
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2012 06:32 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2012 06:37
unfortunately, the spelling isn't the issue. I copy-pasted the entire contents of my source doc in the new editor and pasted it to the old editor. Still doesn't work (in the new editor I mean, the old one works great). Actually know #INCLUDE simply appends (as I mentioned in my first post) cause when I had a poke (bad coding joke) around at the source dump, I noticed my included file was appended twice. Yeah, wierd. I've tried a fresh install and downloaded the latest ver (only to discover it was they same ver as mine when I saw the name). I dunno why and, tbh, it doesn't bother me. I'm happy using the new compiler with the old editor. It takes about 5 min to setup functionatlity and help files. The gadgets aren't that important to me as I've added a SCANCODE diagram to the main help file, thus negating the need for the Keystate Helper which, aside from the look, was the only real thing I liked that much about the new editor. So I'm pretty content.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 18:07:28
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 18:07:28