Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / What are you working on in 2012?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 06:16 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 06:20
I saw a thread like this in the 3d board, and I thought I would start one in here. I would like to see what other people are up to and talk about the coding side of things on what you're working on. You can post here as much as you want if you would like. Note: I don't plan for this to be a "WIP" post about your project, just showing a little stuff here and there about your project.

I'll start off with my project.

I've actually been working on my project with my friend since about November. It's going to be a top-down multiplayer shooter called Galaxy Gangs. We don't really have much to show, since I have been coding structure of the server/client mostly. I am basing it off of the Source SDK Multiplayer Component.

Here's an image of the client successfully connecting and the round starting:

Or this link: PICTURE

Starting this project, I have really learned a lot. I've started to use the Boost libraries and have taught myself multi-threading. Surprisingly, everything works so far (to my knowledge), and nothing has blow up yet.

Please post what you are working on

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't have any pictures yet of my new project, but when I finish my "X Flight" game, I will post this new one in WIP: "Devilish".
The name "Devilish" comes from the type of game I am formating it after "Diablo". So you can guess it's kinda like Diablo and therefore it's "Devilish".

Devilish will be loosly based on the game mechanics of the original Diablo game with a lot added on. The characters will be free-form with no specific class and the spell system will be something noone has ever seen (I hope). The graphics will be a top-down 3D with zoom and rotation. The interface will be a click-to-move and click-to-target system. There will be plenty of items and monsters.

I will be using Evolved's shaders for fx.
I'm not sure if I will need collision detection.
I will be using DarkNet or something of my own for network co-op.

It will be fun to make and hopefuly even more fun to play.

The fastest code is the code never written.
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Jan 2012 20:51 Edited at: 10th Jan 2012 20:53
So.. i like this kind of things

Ok im into 3 projects (UHH we got a badass over here xD)

Shoot2Survive 4 -
This is the part 4 of my top-down shooter (Not online like FireIndy's one... for now )

So i got a print here:http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/348/s2s4firstprint.jpg

NO_NAME
This has no name yet, but it's a tower defense game

I got the VERY VERY VERY VERY first print, please go easy on it
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/166/towerdeffirstprint.jpg

Business World -
This is a game that will be a REAL business simulator, you open your business, and you are faced to taxes and salaries and stuff
Just needs a lot of research because the structure for the game is ready

Print: (Not english for now)

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/830/bwfirstprint.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/705/bw1f.png/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/233/bw2t.png/

Hope you guys like it, well.. at least doesnt dislike it

Bye bye and Good Luck with your projects

C++ Medium 3.5/5
www.oryzhon.com <-- My company's website (W.I.P)
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 07:09
@Hawkblood - love your name btw xD anyways, I've always loved the Diablo franchise. And network co-op will be really awesome if you get it to work. I always get this awesome feeling whenever I write some network code that is something big. Say for instance, initial movement code. I will be writing that here soon for my game, and when I finally get it to work, it'll be a big deal for me seeing player's movements and my code just executing perfectly.
Good luck

@vitinho444 Looks like you got a lot under your belt xD I'm a very big fan of tower defense games. Hopefully you do well on yours and I'll try it out someday.

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot FireIndy, i dont know if you make games but if you do, you know that some support when developing is always a good thing

C++ Medium 3.5/5
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Jan 2012 20:56
Sure! And yes I do know that support while making games is a good thing. It helps to have others look at what you write. It keeps you motivated.

I would like other people to post here as well

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Sure thing i would like to see other people's project

C++ Medium 3.5/5
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 00:51
Two projects right now, a personal one and one at work.

The personal one, is a top-down action-puzzle game that I plan to release on the Intel AppUp store. The main mechanic revolves around using a shield to deflect bullets back at enemies. Got most of the basic mechanics working! Right now I'm implementing Pathfinding and working on the AI for enemy hover crafts (got everything else that is static working almost 100%).
I also hired a concept artist to help define the art style, and, if I'm lucky, I'll hire a 3D artist somewhere in march.

As for the work project, I'm waiting on the company to announce it, so I may boast to allot of people
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
@zapakitul
Wow im impressed, that thing with the shield must be hard to code no?
And good luck with the PathFinding, are you using the A* or whatever the name is?

C++ Medium 3.5/5
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Jan 2012 16:29
@vitinho444 The shield thingy is quite simple. I'm using sparky for collision and just check if a bullet collided with the shield! Then I just use the physic formula for reflection in order to set the angle. You could just fake this by rotating the bullet to a random angle, or the shield's angle.
As for pathfinding, I learned everything from here:

http://www.policyalmanac.org/games/aStarTutorial.htm
vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Its the A* xD

Oh, where can i find sparky's collision system, ive seen much tutorials about it.

And thanks for the link ive deleted it :S

C++ Medium 3.5/5
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 03:45 Edited at: 13th Jan 2012 03:46
@zapakitul I wonder what that work project is, hmmm? Your shield project looks awesome btw.

I was doing some cleaning/polish of my game today - mostly added the icon to the game:

http://i43.tinypic.com/znochg.png

This is the first game development project I've taken super seriously, and I'm having a blast Multiplayer logic is sometimes a pain in the butt, but when it works, I just sit back and smile.

I hope more people show us what they are working on as well

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
@FireIndy
Hey sorry for asking this, but do you have some Multiplayer tutorials that real help? i followed one about a chat or something but it's very poor explained...

And wow, your icon it's really good, my graphics sides yours SUCK REAL MUCH!!

C++ Medium 3.5/5
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 16:34
@Vitinho444 I recommend taking a look at this regarding networking. It may seem a bit complicated at first (I think), but in the long run, it's useful.
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Jan 2012 17:07
@vitinho444 After you understand how multisync or any other networking component works, I would look at this:

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Source_Multiplayer_Networking

Granted, that may be somewhat complex, but it's what I'm basing my client/server architecture on. Even just doing a readover on that, to learn how Valve sends information back and forth is worth a read. And if you use Multisync, like I am, there are examples that come with the download. I use the same structure in my code. The first byte distinguishes what the following data is. And then it's just a matter of staying organized.

vitinho444
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, i never put my self into deep multiplayer functions in darkgdk so maybe i am 2/5.

I think basicly it works like: client sends his information to the server and the server will send it to other connected clients, so if the client 1 sends a player1.x, all clients will get that X position and then can Sync with the player in that position.. Basicly i think thats the main function of multiplayer.

Thanks for the link

C++ Medium 3.5/5
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Jan 2012 21:07
Sure, no problem Anyone else have a project they would like to share?

Morcilla
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 11:07
I'll try to release MPL3D Solar System V1.3
It has a delay of about 6 months, oh well.
By the way, I'm looking for someone to develop a basic spaceship editor, as I don't have time for it.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 19:07
@Morcilla I've actually always followed your project on and off for awhile. I always tried doing some type of space simulation, but failed miserably at it >.> The stuff in your project looks really amazing.

hookkshot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Jan 2012 19:18
Im working on 2D Space RTS, just something small hopefully i can get it done this year. we shall see how it goes though.

Ill post a screen shot in a few days

2.0Gh AM2 Processor, 9800GT, 2Gb Ram
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 23:06
I'm going to be working on a very versatile 2D engine meant for sidescrollers, I'm pretty far along but I'm not going to post anything until it is practically done.

I'm also starting on a steam-punk style RTS. This style is only chosen so that there may be freedom of ideas and yet make it not look the same as all the other sifi rts's out there. Despite the first choice concerning the rts being a style and art one, the art will probably have to be done by someone other than me.

hookkshot
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 00:42
Hey DeadTomGC,

I'm interested in you 2D collision code the link is broken how ever

2.0Gh AM2 Processor, 9800GT, 2Gb Ram
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 00:47
Decided to scrap most of my old code, which was poorly written and optimized! Got Procedural Level Generation working again (thanks to some help from WLGfx), as well as modular objects (each object is generated from different parts - torso, front, cockpit, back, turret, wheels, to name a few). Working on different particle emitters (smoke fully functional, as well as clipping the particles).

There are ~2000 objects with 1024/1024 textures (+normal maps) on screen and 10 smoke emitters. The FPS varies between 98 FPS (when all objects and emitters are in sight) to 135 (when the particles are not shown). Huge improvement from the old version, where the FPS would drop to 37 with only the procedural world and player!
DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 01:01
Oh, oops I thought you meant the engine which I didn't put a link to, and yes that is annoying. It is broken. I will fix that now.

DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 01:07
Testing updated sig link,

DeadTomGC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 01:15 Edited at: 17th Jan 2012 01:16
That last post was a link to a search. At the moment mine is the only one that shows up. Encase that changes this should be a direct link, but it may break too, so... let me know if it does.

BTW, I'm going to try to make some changes to make the code more versatile, right now it has some weaknesses when scrolling, like when you move at a variable speed or when you move at a non integer speed(variable is fine as long as it is integer), thing become weird.
Anyway, it's still a great base, and there is rarely a need for the corrections I intend to make. In fact, the engine I am making will be using the old version, at least for a while.

FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 03:25
@zapakitul Procedural level generation just hurts my head thinking about it. I understand how it could be done and I could probably do it given the time, but it's just one of those headaches I'd rather not deal with

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 09:02
@FireIndy It's not that hard to be honest, and it gives you a great feeling when you get it working!
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 16:15
It would probably be one of those little things I code when I need a break from working on my game xD

zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 16:37
@FireIndy saw the video of you showcasing the "flock" algorithm! It was awesome
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 16:45
@FireIndy - It is true that when you get procedural code working finally after ironing stuff out it does give you a personal ego boost. I'm actually half way through another version of a procedural level generator. I suppose the hardest part of it which had put me off for many years before I finally gave it a try was getting all the maths in the right order and using functions that I'd never thought I'd ever need like atan2(), tan(), etc and working with those and getting cos() and sin() in the correct order. I tend to play and play until I get something working and if it starts to go drastically wrong, it gets binned and I'll start all over again.

I've seen the screen shots of what Zapatikul is working on and already it's looking a lot more impressive than what I have at the moment. I'm far from even getting to put the gaming elements into my code until I get the level generation code perfect this time round. My original efforts I binned because it wasn't what I wanted and I started again. So my entry in the NaGaCreMo 2012 is very unlikely to have a working demo by the end of the month.

All in all, yes I still get a buzz when I've been working on something and it works.

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
zapakitul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 17:00
@WLGFx well, my level generation code is roughly based on a derivation from what you presented. I'm still adding different features(multiple layers is one of them), and doing my best to optimize most of the things, but in the end, when the game will hit the AppUp store, I will OS the code.

While on the subject, I also did a quick and dirty way of culling/hiding the geometry, hence a generated world of 90x90 is a huge object to use as a level, performance wise. It has a hell lot of limbs, and if you add any geometry instead of plains and boxes, that it may cripple the FPS by a huge factor.

A simple way of doing this is to set a Draw distance for rendering the limbs (i'm not talking about set camera range... it doesn't work if your object is huge). The easy way to do Draw Distance and limb hiding is to set up a "plain object" for each limb, at the same position, rotation and size of the limb. After all are generated you hide them (dbHideObject). Then you do a small distance calculation from the player position to each limb. If that limb is further away then the distance set, then you just hide it from view.
WLGfx
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 18:14
Yeah, I've not yet thought about that part yet but I suppose I could seperate out each corridor and room into their own seperate limbs. Thanks, it's something I ought to have considered as these levels get bigger. As I've got the geometry already aside in their own arrays I should easily be able to adapt that. I could also just check the centre coords of each limb by calculating the bounds of each limb. Hmmm... Nice one...

Mental arithmetic? Me? (That's for computers) I can't subtract a fart from a plate of beans!
Warning! May contain Nuts!
FireIndy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 19:30
The best stuff in programming to me are the visual algorithms. Any procedural generation or the flocking behavior I did, just makes me fuzzy inside. It's because it's awesome to see just code create such a visual thing out of thin air xD But, I think I may eventually try some procedural level gen someday.

@WLGfx I've been watching your stuff, and it looks really good I must say.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 04:34:07
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 04:34:07