Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Dark GDK / Mesh Painter

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Is there a program that can take a mesh and allow you to paint it like you would a physical model (such as a Warhammer figurine)?

The fastest code is the code never written.
_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 15:22 Edited at: 16th Jan 2012 15:24
It may be a bit too overhead, but you could take a look at Sculptris, which is freeware and allows 3D painting. You need a good computer though, as it's a complete 3D sculpting suite.

In the past I used the model editor of the 3D GameStudio, which is very lightweight and has some basic mesh painting functionality. I think you can get the editor with the free trial version of the package. But it's a few years ago that I used this software and I don't know if this feature is still supported...

Matty H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 16:29
Dark Paint

I don't know whether this is still being worked on but the videos look pretty cool.

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 17:52
Ah thanks Matty!
I remember this one! But was there ever a version released? Didn't find one at first glance...

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Jan 2012 18:03 Edited at: 16th Jan 2012 18:10
I have Sculptris. I know I can paint in the program, but how do I produce an image file so that I can texture my creation in my game? I have tried it several ways and I still have no idea.....

EDIT: I found it. Click "Show Advanced Tools" and options appear. One is "Save Texmap".

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 01:02 Edited at: 17th Jan 2012 01:18
Interesting... I was thinking this too... hmm will checkout Sculptris...

EDIT

Complete source code for Dark Paint is at the bottom of that thread

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 01:32 Edited at: 17th Jan 2012 12:48
I'm posting two shots. The top is in my game and the other is in sculptris. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sorry for the large image. I wanted everyone to see the detail of how wrong it is.....

Attachments

Login to view attachments
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 04:30
OMG my phone almost died... resize those to 1024x768 or something... sheesh!

But lol... dunno maybe normal mapping?

JTK
Years of Service
User Offline
I'm no expert with this stuff but I'd say its a lighting issue. Where the muscles bulge out in the lower image, your top image appears sunk in (shaded). The lower image shows more diffused lighting but the top image has lots of specular highlights.

Can you mimic the lighting parameters and see how that does?

It's just a guess, but that's what I see.

JTK
MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 08:11
Yes you can use a constant shader I believe so that lighting is even all over...

Brendy boy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 10:28
in looks to me like a texture bleeding, something's wrong with the texture filering. Sculptris has one setting and the shader you use has different one

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 10:34
Please remove those pics theyre horrid...

Interested to see how you fix the issue with that model...

_Pauli_
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Jan 2012 11:49 Edited at: 17th Jan 2012 11:53
Ok, there seem to be three issues with the upper models appearance:

1) There are obvious seams in the texture. Maybe Sculptris exported the texture map with too low precision. Try to export with a higher resolution. You could also try to export just the wireframe of the model as it is UV mapped, then blend this with the texture map in an image editor such as Paint.Net or Gimp to see if they both match up perfectly. If not try to manually paint over the seams (or just replace this grey background color with an average skin color). Unfortunatly I don't have Sculptris installed (and my computer's too slow for that), so I can't check it myself.

2) Something is wrong with the smoothing groups of the upper model resulting in visible facetting of the mesh. Although it's not easy to tell from a static image, it can be seen on the breast muscles for example. Either try to change smoothing/export setttings in Sculptris or import the model in an editor such as Milkshape or Fragmotion and put the whole mesh into a single smoothing group, which will smooth all vertex normals. Maybe also using dbSetObjectNormals() or dbNormalizationOn() will do the trick.

3) The specularity on the model doesn't look right. Are these specular spots baked into the texture by Sculptris or are they dynamic? If so what commands are you using in your code to achieve these specular highlights? Try to change these settings or set it off completly (should be off by default I think).

P.S.: These over-sized images are really a pain to load and stretch the page. I think changing them to 800x600 or 1024x768 (and maybe attach original sized ones for optional download) would suffice.

Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 00:40 Edited at: 18th Jan 2012 00:41
I've discovered that the shader is causing the problem. I am using parallax from Evolved's shaders. I tried normal bumping also and it has the same problem.

I was able to correct the "seams" issue by modifying the .fx file, but it still has facets. The facets only appear along the edges of the "texture groupings". My definition of texture grouping: Sculptris breaks up the mesh into groups that are arranged (UV) on the texture....

This is what the texture looks like when exported from Sculptris:

Attachments

Login to view attachments
Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 21:22
do you have a normal map? or something else? try applying a negative filter and see how that comes out

hi
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "try applying a negative filter and see how that comes out"

What is that? How do I do it?

Yes. I have a normal map. Same UV coordinates as the Texture. Done by Sculptris.

Cetobasilius
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Jan 2012 19:25
i meant invert it... white is black and black is white or purple in this case

hi
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
I did notice that Sculptris makes the normal map inverted for some reason. I already made a function to invert it so it looks right.

Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Feb 2012 21:14 Edited at: 1st Feb 2012 21:18
The normal mapping and other shaders like bump mapping are very reliant on good uv mapps
mkay
You texture is broken apart right? with a grey inbetween

so i would say a quick semi-fix that you can do without changing the uv map is.... make the gray the same color as the skin.

After that you will prolly get less of a seemed look in game.

$5 please

[edit] I had this problem myself hawkblood, and trust me it can be a pain to uv mapp stuff just right.

O ya btw i use a program called BlackSmith 3d
http://www.blacksmith3d.com/
there is a freeware version in the trial download, at least there was.
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
$249.95 !!! Wow. The trial version has no save/export.

I have a solution I am using right now:
Make the mesh in Sculptris.(Don't paint yet)
Export as .OBJ and inport to 3DSMax.
Use 3DSMax to UV unwrap and "pelt" the sections.
Export as .OBJ and inport to Sculptris. (Make sure the export has UV mapping)
Paint in Sculptris and export the painted texture and bump.
In 3DSMax export the mesh as .x

Now load the .x into the game and texture using the ones exported from Sculptris.

THIS IS A LOT OF WORK FOR SOMETHING THAT IS SUPPOSED TO WORK ALL IN SCULPTRIS.

I mean, "in" Sculptris, everything looks great, but in the game it looks like crap if I do it the normal way.

Benjames8
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2012 22:05 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 22:06
There is a freeware in the trial download. The freeware can export and save you just cant use some tools like smudge.

-Not that Im supporting this but you could always ripp off the software-

Did you try coloring the grey areas skin color?
Hawkblood
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Did you try coloring the grey areas skin color? "

Yes. That part I think is a floating point error. Sculptris has a certain "accuracy" that 3DSMax doesn't (or the other way arround), and that's what is causing the problem. My method above works fine.

I don't like ripping off software, and I hate time limits on trial versions, so I'll just stick with what I have for now.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 20:17:08
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 20:17:08