Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / Forming a group of specialized users

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
I created my first game a couple months ago. It is a simple game and I just wanted to learn how to code using AppGameKit, compile and install on multiple platforms, access a global scoreboard (multiplayer), etc. All the functions that AppGameKit was designed to have. I've run into a few snags, but generally I was able to complete it and get it running on my Android phone, which is what I set out to do. So far, all is good.

My next game attempt will be a lot more complicated. I want it to reach all platforms, not just the Android. I tried AppUp, but I need Visual Studio (assuming Pro because C# and Web don't seem to work). iOS and iPhone requite a Mac, which I don't have. I tried Bada, but ran into some problems there. Didn't even get to Meego, but I expect to have problems there.

Compiling for Android took a little time, but once a project is added, updates are a breeze. I assume this is the same for all the other platforms. But it seems silly for everyone to have to go through installing all the software, configuring, etc. for each platform. Especially for the casual game developer, this is a lot of work and can cost a lot of money, just to put out a free game for others to play.

My thoughts were to create a group of developers willing to help others out by specializing in 1 platform. 1 for Android, 1 for Mac, 1 for Bada, etc. When a new version is ready, they submit to the group and each compiles and sends back. I helped someone do this for the Android and it really didn't take me that much time.

My concern is about security and assets. I would never want to think that someone would steal my idea and/or assets, but what other risks are there doing something like this? Am I missing something? Why wouldn't something like this work?
baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 22:09
The App Developer Group is preparing a None Disclosure Agreement (NDA) which can be used amongst ourselves for situations like this. If you would like to help organise this we already have around 50 members that might be interested in helping.

This is currently only in discussion at the moment but I thought I would mention it to you as you might want to actively advertise this idea to our group and perhaps we can help achieve this together?

If you're interested then maybe mention it on our thread here: http://forum.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=187597&b=41

Or you could email me to discuss the idea further?

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Jan 2012 23:31
Quote: "The App Developer Group is preparing a None Disclosure Agreement (NDA)"

er...yes...must post that on ADG pdq!

sovr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Jan 2012 03:07
Well I do seem very interested in a ios/mac development group. I have been working with the ios platform (tier 1/tier 2) ever since agk came out and in the process of working with agk figured out problems and tricks. I could start a dev website on it (a free website version, weebly) if enough people would want it.

sov the game creator!
bjadams
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
There is more than enough info and videos on the TGC forums to get you going on ios, windows and Android.

Those are the 3 platforms I tried out. Once you set all up for your first project, the rest is just very simple.

Sincerely, personally I think that a programmer should have the technical mindset to set up a dev environment by himself.

No one said that developing games is not expensive. You have to buy AppGameKit, maybe some other software licences, app store dev fees, a mac, pc hardware...
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
I'd love to find a good video on compiling AppGameKit for AppUp. ANyone successful doing this? What version of Visual Developer did you use?

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-27 05:17:37
Your offset time is: 2024-04-27 05:17:37