Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Windows / Building for AppUp

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
First, I have to complain. AppGameKit was written to be able to write a game and comile/distribute to multiple platforms. I would think that TGC would have spent a little more time writing up very clear instructions to publish to each platform.

So, now to my questions. I'm trying to compile for AppUp.

1. I've tried multiple versions of Visual Developer Express (and even Pro) and each time I am asked to convert. I wish TGC was more specific as to which one to use, and even provide a link to download the specific version.

2. The instructions don't make sense.

The first line reads "First you need to duplicate the apps\interpreter folder and rename it to apps\yourapp_appup". This seems simple enough. This folder exists, simply copy and rename it as described.

We can skip the second line and go to the third. It reads "Use Visual Studio Express Edition to load the *_appup.sln project file". This does not make sense. Does the "*" represent my app name? If so, where does it say to do that? There are solution files all over the place. I'm not sure which one to use. The only solution I see resembling the statement is in the "interpreter_appup" directory. If that's the one, then why not just use that name in the instructions? Why use *?

This just doesn't make sense. Has anyone had any luck with this? I would love some clarification on the version of VS to use and which folder to copy and which solution to open.
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Well, after spending a little more time on this, it seems to need Visual Studio C++ Express to compile. Can anyone confirm? However, I still have trouble when I open. It wants to convert. Is it possible the AppGameKit project files were done in a different version?

The instructions still do not make any sense. I can't believe I am the only person having problems. Anyone out there?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
While I'm not at my main computer right now, I'll attempt to answer your questions based on what I remember.

#1 You can just go ahead a convert it

#2 Open the ".sln" file that is in your "yourapp_appup" folder

Quote: "The instructions still do not make any sense."

What else are you having issues with?

Sean

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
(I'm at work and doing this off the top of my head, so some things might not match up correctly in what I am about to say).

First, the instructions say to copy the "interpreter" folder. There is also a "interpreter_appup" folder. I forget which is which, but I get 2 completely different results. When I copy "interpreter", it converts. There is no item to remove like it asks. If I continue, I get errors that include files are missing (atlimage.h). Can't continue. If I copy the "interpreter_appup" folder, it also asks me to convert, which I do. It then says to remove the item, which I do. Then it asks to add in my newly created "myapp_appup" project file. When I do, it says something is invalid.

Both paths seems to get me caught in a problem. Not sure what to do to continue. Are you able to compile? What version of Visual Studio are you using?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Here's how I have mine setup:

In the root folder I have copied the files from AGK\IDE

I then went into the newly copied "apps" folder and deleted everything except for:

"interpreter" and "interpreter_appup" - Then I copied the "interpreter_appup" and renamed it to "Freefallin_appup" (in my case).

I then opened the .SLN that is in the "Freefallin_appup", I think the reason you have the "interpreter" is because the "Freefallin_appup" calls files from it.

Quote: "atlimage.h"

This is only included in the paid version of VC++, but you can just comment out the #include for it.

There is also another "alt" header file that you'll get an error about, you can comment out the #include for that one too. You'll need to the replace all of the "CString" with "char*" (You can do this easily by using CTRL + H).

Finally you'll need to right click on the project and go to:

Properties > Configuration Properties > C/C++ > Preprocessor

In the "Preprocessor Definitions" field you'll need to add "AGKPLAYER" (That whole field should then look like
)

Once you do all that you should be-able to compile.

Sean

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
First, thanks a ton. It seems that you are went through the same issues.

So, I was able to follow your directions very well. Here's where I am at.

I copied the folders and renamed as you described.

I commented out the included as you described.

I searched for CString, but did not find any.

I went to change the preprocessor, but it already had the string set.

When I compile, I get an error. It says "File Not Found: Interpreter.ico". The funny thing is, it's right there in my root folder.

Any ideas? Thank again for all your help.
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Jan 2012 05:57 Edited at: 27th Jan 2012 05:57
Replace the "icon.rc" and the "resource.h" with the files I have attached to this post. You'll then need to call your game's icon "icon" (for now you can just rename the "interpreter.ico" to "icon.ico").

Sean

Attachments

Login to view attachments
badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Not sure if I got any further, but I think I'm getting the same error:

1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: interpreter_appup, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> interpreter.cpp
1> Core.cpp
1> Generating Code...
1>
1>..\interpreter\interpreter.rc(20): error RC2144: PRIMARY LANGUAGE ID not a number
1>
1>
1>..\interpreter\interpreter.rc(57): error RC2135: file not found: 101
1>
1>
1>..\interpreter\interpreter.rc(72): error RC2135: file not found: "INTERPRETER.ICO"
1>
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
if the "interpreter.rc" is apart of your project solution, right click it and hit "Remove"

Sean

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Ok, I think we're getting closer. I removed "interpreter.rc" and rebuilt the solution. I get a new error:

1>LINK : fatal error LNK1104: cannot open file 'atls.lib'

I looked, and I cannot comment out like the other includes. Do you know how I can remove that?
Hockeykid
DBPro Tool Maker
Years of Service
User Offline
Right click the project and go to properties:

Then go to Configuration Properties>Linker>Input

In the "Ignore Specific Default Libraries" field add the following:

That should do the trick.

Sean

badkneecap
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey hey, it compiles!! Thanks a ton. I can't believe it was this hard just to compile. I'm going to move on to the next set of instructions on how to compile. Hopefully it will not be as difficult.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-03-28 20:08:51
Your offset time is: 2024-03-28 20:08:51