Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / It would be wonderful if AGK could do its own builds

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 02:38
Instead of using third party IDEs it would be nice if AppGameKit could build Tier 1 and Tier 2 code written in it like DBPro does. Users could download and install any needed SDKs or compilers and then simply build the program from inside AppGameKit by pressing a build or build/run button.

Jason
Digital Awakening
AGK Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 08:37
It builds the T1 PC version

The AppGameKit IDE is only for T1. But yeah it would be nice if it could compile for other platforms by itself. iOS probably won't work anyway but other platforms like Android would make things easier. I wouldn't expect it any time soon as there are more important things right now.

We don't know what version 2 (or whatever TGC are calling it) will bring. But it will most likely be something people are willing to pay an upgrade fee for.

LeeBamber
TGC Lead Developer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 00:09
There are a hundred different little and important reasons for using the prescribed IDEs, tools, APIs and SDKs provided for native compilation of binaries, and we hope our T2 guides help make that process painless as possible. We also agree that there are ways we can make it even easier, and more automated, and we're constantly looking at elegant ways to make this a reality. Right now, the various platforms have quite a laundry list of housekeeping tasks that are best handled by the tools designed for that job, and so we're happy to let that be the case until we have put more important things in place like a cool debugger, 3D, more platforms and more pipeline tools. We have tinkered with automating the build processes and I am sure we will bring something out to make T2 a more integrated experience. For now, we'll look at taking a few baby steps such as App Build Wizards and shorter smarter guides before we plum for 100% automation

I drink tea, and in my spare time I write software.
JimHawkins
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 11:06
I think this calls for a scripting tool. Updating scripts for new platforms would then be easy. I'll have a look at it

-- Jim

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-19 21:32:36
Your offset time is: 2024-04-19 21:32:36