Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

AppGameKit Classic Chat / AppUp SDK no longer required for Windows Apps!

Author
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 16:32
Here's an interesting development on AppUp. You no longer have to use the AppUp SDK for windows based Apps!

It has now been made optional. Check out this article on the AppUp site:
AppUp SDK Yes / No

I know I've already posted this in the ADG thread but not everyone reads it so I wanted to spread the word.

Using AppGameKit to make windows Apps on AppUp is now much easier. Tier 1 users no longer have to build another version of the executable with the AppUp SDK. Tier 2 users have it much easier too.

You still need to make a silent installer and use a code signing certificate but this is still a lot easier (mr_d made an installer builder that is tried and tested).

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: (Hide and) Seek and Destroy on my guitar!
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 17:01
Wooooooow, this is excellent news! So, we no longer need the security code either, bax?
This will make it a lot easier for AppGameKit developers to get their games on AppUp, right?

Cheers

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 17:04
That's right. The rest of the validation requirements remain the same but you no longer need to check the client.

The downside is that paid apps could be downloaded, the installation folder copied, then the user could get a refund and carry on using the app from the copied folder but you could add your own precautions in one way or another.

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing: FFVII
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 18:06
Are we allowed member logins for our own apps... kinda like GTA 4 On PC using games for msn as a user account seperately from steam...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 20:28
I don't think that would be a problem. I would double check the validation guidelines though.

Hodgey
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 22:11
I can see this being extremely handy with free games but for paid, I'd probably stick to the SDK, just for the security purposes.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Jan 2012 22:53
Me too probably but it makes things a lot easier for free games yes.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 01:49
Quote: "The downside is that paid apps could be downloaded, the installation folder copied, then the user could get a refund and carry on using the app from the copied folder"

Well, the best solution for that would be that Intel doesn't allow for a refund. I don't really see the point to give a refund after the game was bought.
Providing a demo for the potential buyers to play your game should let them decide whether to buy the game or not.
I mean, if we buy a game from a local store and play it, we can't get a refund either, right?
I'm gonna email someone at Intel and discuss this issue.

Cheers

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 07:07
They have a refund policy¿... has intel tried Steam yet¿

Theres a general situation associated with digital software which follows physical copies... once opened it can not be returned... however digital content is... once sold and downloading made available... its the same somewhat...

If any of the above makes sense lol...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 07:59
I don't think the refund policy is fair to developers either to a large extent. If you download a triple A game and then find it won't run on your system as well as it should then you can't return it. It should be the same on AppUp really. I haven't lost many sales that way but still...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 11:58
Quote: "I mean, if we buy a game from a local store and play it, we can't get a refund either, right?"

Or, you know, you could be a decent human being and have a generous refund policy. I know of one indi that offers a 365 day money back guarantee, no questions asked, and he's still making and selling games.

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 14:38
I think giving a full demo away for free is being enough of a decent human being personally. What I'm against is people buying the game, playing it for a month then when they get bored just get a full refund.

It's no better than buying a suit for a wedding and taking it back the next day.

I've given people who have taken the time to email me with bugs free full versions of the demo they were having problems with which is more than EA would do (for example)...

Please don't question my decency I'm having a bad enough day as it is, just had my dog die on me

MrValentine
AGK Backer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 14:43
Bax... so sorry to hear that buddy...

baxslash
Valued Member
Bronze Codemaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 15:07
Thx, sorry for adding that I'm a little cut up...

bitJericho
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 15:13 Edited at: 24th Jan 2012 15:15
Sorry to hear that bax.

Also, not digging at you. I'm just a bit too straightforward when I talk about stuff i guess

Anyway, you should read up jeff vogel's blog: http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/

He found that people never request a refund.

http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.com/2010/08/being-nice-is-good-business.html

Perhaps you'll find differently or you have found out differently. I think this is a better policy than giving away games for free if they're having a problem with the demo, because you get a sale and the customer feels confident that he won't get hosed.

The Slayer
Forum Vice President
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Jan 2012 15:41
Quote: "just had my dog die on me"

Really sorry to hear that, fella!
How old was he? Was he sick?

Quote: "I think giving a full demo away for free is being enough of a decent human being personally. What I'm against is people buying the game, playing it for a month then when they get bored just get a full refund."

Yeah, that's my point too.

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-23 10:49:26
Your offset time is: 2024-04-23 10:49:26